Sign in with
Your question

Display cut out while playing video game

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 10:14:20 PM

So I was playing metro 2033 and a couple hours in, my display went black. The computer was still running but I restarted it, thinking it was some glitch. But all the screen would say is "no signal"
Also, the video card fan doesn't spin on startup (the cpu and psu fans do), and the motherboard power light turns on.

I've had my computer for a couple years now, without any problems. Here are the specs:

asus p6t se motherboard
intel i7 920 CPU
700w ocz PSU
6gb ocz RAM
gt430 graphics card
windows 7

So far, I've tried re-seating the graphics card, took out the cmos battery and put it back in, tried a different monitor (both monitors use vga cables), used a different pci slot for the graphics card, purchased a new video card (still no signal.. gonna have to return this)

Nothing works! Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks guys.
a c 1401 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 10:20:36 PM

Motherboard problem most likely, you will know for sure if you can try the card in a different computer.
m
l
July 25, 2012 10:28:06 PM

rolli59 said:
Motherboard problem most likely, you will know for sure if you can try the card in a different computer.

thanks for the input, anyone else have opinions?
i was starting to think it's a mobo issue.
m
l
Related resources
a c 164 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 10:59:58 PM

It's probably your graphics card.

The only way to know is to test with a different card. Either buy a cheap one for $30 (HD6450 at NCIX) or borrow one.

If your MOTHERBOARD had failed, your computer likely would have turned off or rebooted when your screen went black.

Likely the graphics card failed (maybe just the fan) and so everything else is working but you can't see anything on the monitor.
m
l
July 25, 2012 11:11:31 PM

photonboy said:
It's probably your graphics card.

The only way to know is to test with a different card. Either buy a cheap one for $30 (HD6450 at NCIX) or borrow one.

If your MOTHERBOARD had failed, your computer likely would have turned off or rebooted when your screen went black.

Likely the graphics card failed (maybe just the fan) and so everything else is working but you can't see anything on the monitor.

i did purchase another card, but that didn't help either... i still got no signal from the monitor.
I'm going to get my power supply checked, I'll report back after.
m
l
July 26, 2012 1:33:16 AM

So they did a test on my PSU and it turns out that some part of my power supply died and the guys at ncix told me I had to get a new one.
Bought a corsair tx750.

fyi they all agreed OCZ power supplies are not built very well and that I got pretty good life out of mine. They said to stick with corsair, antec, etc.
m
l
a c 1401 U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 2:07:43 AM

z-iron said:
So they did a test on my PSU and it turns out that some part of my power supply died and the guys at ncix told me I had to get a new one.
Bought a corsair tx750.

fyi they all agreed OCZ power supplies are not built very well and that I got pretty good life out of mine. They said to stick with corsair, antec, etc.

Strange since the CPU runs of the +12 volts like the GPU. It depends on which OCZ and it is not like you were overloading it with maybe around 1/3 of its capability.
m
l
December 17, 2012 7:26:56 PM

hey man, did you have any further problems after replacing psu?

heres my specs

AMD FX-6200
2 8gb sticks of DDR3 1333mhz
1tb hard drive
xigmatek 600watt psu
XFX Radeon HD 7770 Double Dissipation edition

im having same problems with it cutting out during metro and just yesterday Planetside 2. pc stays on i can still hear sound but graphics card shuts down
m
l
!