DSLR camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 24, 2005 12:01:40 AM

I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
shootings.
would appreciate any advise.
thanks in advance.
lydia

More about : dslr camera

September 24, 2005 12:01:41 AM

lydia wrote:
> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
> shootings.
> would appreciate any advise.
> thanks in advance.
> lydia

I'd particularly recommend one that has a flash.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

lydia wrote:

> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
> shootings.
> would appreciate any advise.
> thanks in advance.

What's your budget ?

DSLR cameras range from $800 to $8000 US Dollars...
September 24, 2005 12:01:41 AM

lydia wrote:
> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor
> and
> night shootings.
> would appreciate any advise.
> thanks in advance.
> lydia

Where are you?

You can avoid many onerous complications by hiring a competent
professional photographer.

--
Frank ess
September 24, 2005 12:01:41 AM

Low light shooting, look at big aperture lenses.

"lydia" <leeah@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
news:D h0oss$3fg$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg...
> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and
night
> shootings.
> would appreciate any advise.
> thanks in advance.
> lydia

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:01:41 AM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:01:40 +0800, "lydia" <leeah@singnet.com.sg>
wrote:

>I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
>shootings.
>would appreciate any advise.
>thanks in advance.
>lydia

For indoor and night you want low noise and the only choice is Canon
and I would suggest the 20D for low noise at high ISO in a 1.6 crop.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/

"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed,
law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached
at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded,
by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom or the
virtue to do so. To be governed is to be at every operation, at
every transaction, noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped,
measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished,
prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished."

"General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century"
Pierre Proudhon
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:01:42 AM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:08:47 -0500, Jer wrote:

> lydia wrote:
>> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
>> shootings.
>> would appreciate any advise.
>> thanks in advance.
>> lydia
>>

> I'd particularly recommend one that has a flash.
A worthwhile flash has to be an accessory one, the built-in flashes are
not very powerful.

For a dslr read back through this group. go to one or more photographic
retailers and handle as many different models as you can. Choose the one
that feels good, that you can afford and that has some consistantly good
reports.

When you have got your camera -PRACTISE. It may sound trite to say this
but it is a good way to learn.

Best wishes.

--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:08:47 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>lydia wrote:
>> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
>> shootings.
>> would appreciate any advise.
>> thanks in advance.
>> lydia
>>

>I'd particularly recommend one that has a flash.

And would recommend against one with it. The built in flash is
useless. Better look at the overall system offered and look at the
fast primes offered for it.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:01:42 AM

Frank,
Are you soliciting? :-)
Paul

John A. Stovall wrote:

>>I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and night
>>shootings.
>
>For indoor and night you want low noise and the only choice is Canon

I'm a Canon user but I take issue with this comment. Nikon makes some
excellent cameras and lenses. In fact, the Nikon D50 and D70s have low
noise imaging sensors that rival Canon.

The brand is less important than the optical choices. For low light,
large aperture lenses and/or good flash is required. Be it Nikon or
Canon, the requirements are essentially the same.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:01:43 AM

Paul Schilter wrote:
> Frank,
> Are you soliciting? :-)
> Paul
>
> Frank ess wrote:
>> lydia wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor
>>> and night shootings.
>>> would appreciate any advise.
>>> thanks in advance.
>>> lydia
>>

>> Where are you?
>>
>> You can avoid many onerous complications by hiring a competent
>> professional photographer.

Not even. Thought it might benefit the OP and any local PPs if she
responded.

Heh.

--
Frank ess
September 24, 2005 1:42:19 AM

And a high aperture lens so you don't need to use flash.

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:01:40 +0800,
>
> For indoor and night you want low noise and the only choice is Canon
> and I would suggest the 20D for low noise at high ISO in a 1.6 crop.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 1:42:20 AM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:42:19 +0100, "Tom" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>And a high aperture lens so you don't need to use flash.

Of which Canon offers a number of fine primes including the now out of
production 50mm f1.0L,

>"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:01:40 +0800,
>>
>> For indoor and night you want low noise and the only choice is Canon
>> and I would suggest the 20D for low noise at high ISO in a 1.6 crop.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/

"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed,
law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached
at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded,
by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom or the
virtue to do so. To be governed is to be at every operation, at
every transaction, noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped,
measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished,
prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished."

"General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century"
Pierre Proudhon
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 2:26:03 AM

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:42:19 +0100, "Tom" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>And a high aperture lens so you don't need to use flash.
>
> Of which Canon offers a number of fine primes including the now out of
> production 50mm f1.0L,

Perfect lens for a total newbie.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 4:11:56 PM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:26:03 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

>"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:42:19 +0100, "Tom" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>And a high aperture lens so you don't need to use flash.
>>
>> Of which Canon offers a number of fine primes including the now out of
>> production 50mm f1.0L,
>>

>Perfect lens for a total newbie.

We all have to start some where. Why do you assume a "newbie" can
learn to use one? It works just like any other lens.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 4:25:15 PM

thank you all for the valuable advice.
I am from Singapore and a newbie to DSLR.Currently I am using a Casio QV-R40
but I find it is only good for day shots.
I now want to learn to take night and indoor photograph, and thought of
upgrading to DSLR. My budget is around US500 - US1000

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:wqadnSvU6OUqFKneRVn-hA@golden.net...
> John A. Stovall wrote:
>
> >>I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and
night
> >>shootings.
> >
> >For indoor and night you want low noise and the only choice is Canon
>
> I'm a Canon user but I take issue with this comment. Nikon makes some
> excellent cameras and lenses. In fact, the Nikon D50 and D70s have low
> noise imaging sensors that rival Canon.
>
> The brand is less important than the optical choices. For low light,
> large aperture lenses and/or good flash is required. Be it Nikon or
> Canon, the requirements are essentially the same.
September 24, 2005 4:25:16 PM

lydia wrote:

>thank you all for the valuable advice.
>I am from Singapore and a newbie to DSLR.Currently I am using a Casio QV-R40
>but I find it is only good for day shots.
>I now want to learn to take night and indoor photograph, and thought of
>upgrading to DSLR. My budget is around US500 - US1000

In that price range, I'd look at the Canon 300D and 350D/XT, the Nikon
D50 and D70s models. But you're going to want to get some decent lenses
for the cameras to get the most out of them and your budget isn't large
enough for that.

You'll need to add another $300-500 for a good general use zoom lense.
Either that, or simply start with a 50mm and add a zoom lense later. The
50m lense will be very sharp and give you an idea of what the camera can
do.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 4:26:48 PM

thank you all for the valuable advice.
I am from Singapore and a newbie to DSLR.Currently I am using a Casio QV-R40
but I find it is only good for day shots.
I now want to learn to take night and indoor photograph, and thought of
upgrading to DSLR. My budget is around US500 - US1000

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:wqadnSvU6OUqFKneRVn-hA@golden.net...
> John A. Stovall wrote:
>
> >>I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, in particular using for indoor and
night
> >>shootings.
> >
> >For indoor and night you want low noise and the only choice is Canon
>
> I'm a Canon user but I take issue with this comment. Nikon makes some
> excellent cameras and lenses. In fact, the Nikon D50 and D70s have low
> noise imaging sensors that rival Canon.
>
> The brand is less important than the optical choices. For low light,
> large aperture lenses and/or good flash is required. Be it Nikon or
> Canon, the requirements are essentially the same.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 5:19:39 AM

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D ggaj1tc1ta24kqthesdsn9rkt36tj4j0f@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:26:03 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:
>

>>"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Of which Canon offers a number of fine primes including the now out of
>>> production 50mm f1.0L,
>>>

>>Perfect lens for a total newbie.
>
> We all have to start some where. Why do you assume a "newbie" can
> learn to use one? It works just like any other lens.

"I am from Singapore and a newbie to DSLR.Currently I am using a Casio
QV-R40
but I find it is only good for day shots.
I now want to learn to take night and indoor photograph, and thought of
upgrading to DSLR. My budget is around US500 - US1000"

Why would you assume that anyone but someone with a very specific need would
have pockets deep enough to get one? The OP wanted better performance than
her brummy P&S, perhaps some realistic suggestions would be a bit more
helpfull.
!