Sign in with
Your question

Video card upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 10:40:38 PM

Hello,
i am running a phenom 1090t hex-core, Crosshair IV formula motherboard, thermal take tr2 600 watt power supply, 12 gigs of Kingston ram unsure clock speeds, my problem is the video cards gigabyte ati Radeon hd 5570 x2 in crossfire x,
i am able to play most games in 720p on my 21 inch monitor but cannot do so on my 42inch hd tv (the point of my computer) the people at the local computer store said my cards would run games well on my tv the do not my 360 runs them better i would like to know a recommended card for running games such as battefield 3, skyrim, on ultra settings on this 42 inch hd tv

More about : video card upgrade

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 11:06:25 PM

Have a look through all the cards and get the one you consider to be the best for your needs. Obviously there are better, but the cards I suggested should play decently at 1080
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2012 11:41:52 PM

thank you very much for the suggestions.
just been racking my brain and Google trying to figure out what i need as an upgrade to do what i need to do.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 12:09:05 AM

No worries, finding the right graphics card can be difficult, there's a lot to choose from...

Whats your budget?
m
l
July 26, 2012 12:20:19 AM

At the moment nothing but i will save up until i can afford what i need was thinking of going with an xfx hd -695x-cdfc radeon 6950 for 219 from tiger direct after rebate just cause its crossfire x ready
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 12:37:19 AM

Yea great card..... on par with the 560ti.

If you are considering CrossfireX and play BF3, there are apparently alot of issues with "micro stuttering". I have no experience with it but theres plenty of talk on forums and youtube videos.

Great stand alone card though. I think it might unlonk to 6970 too, not too sure if its model specific. maybe someone else could clarify that.
m
l
July 26, 2012 1:07:58 AM

42" has 1080p resolution. You can run all games in max if you get a HD 6850/HD 7770 but it's not future proof. I wouldn't recommend hd 6870 or GTX 560 non Ti versions because not a big improvement. You can wait for the mid range keplers next month like GTX 660 Ti or you can save money to buy a HD 7870 and not HD 6950.
m
l
July 27, 2012 1:07:18 AM

thank you I am relatively new to the video card selection process, I don't understand most of the technical jargon, ( just going under the assumption the higher the numbers ie clock speed, memory clock speed, stream cores ect. the better the card) been checking out some 7950,s but some of the numbers seem lower as the cards are just as expensive as the higher numbered counterparts give or take 20 to 30 dollers.
m
l
July 27, 2012 4:59:51 AM

Vrahk said:
thank you I am relatively new to the video card selection process, I don't understand most of the technical jargon, ( just going under the assumption the higher the numbers ie clock speed, memory clock speed, stream cores ect. the better the card) been checking out some 7950,s but some of the numbers seem lower as the cards are just as expensive as the higher numbered counterparts give or take 20 to 30 dollers.

It is not quite that simple.

If you are just getting in to this, a really good place to start for suggestions is the "Best Graphics Cards For The Money" article that Tom's updates every month:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Also if you are just trying to get a good feel for which cards are better than which other cards, the very last page of that article provides a very useful hierarchy chart:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

You can also find many detailed reviews of specific cards that you are interested by googling reviews of a particular card. Those reviews will usually provide framerate comparisons of how those cards perform in various games.
m
l
July 27, 2012 5:06:24 AM

Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ OC 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (11199-03-20G) is the card I am planning on picking up its benchmarks looked pretty good
m
l
July 27, 2012 5:10:03 AM

Vrahk said:
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ OC 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (11199-03-20G) is the card I am planning on picking up its benchmarks looked pretty good

I think that is an awesome card. Personally I have a Sapphire HD 7850 OC, and I absolutely love it. That 7870 will be even better. You will probably be very happy with that card.

Also, although you might not want to mess with overclocking at first if you are new to this, I just want to let you know that the 7870 should overclock like crazy if you ever want or need it to.

Enjoy!
m
l
!