PSU keeps on burning and computer gpu and cpu stay very hot and pc sme

mariobros006

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
PSU keeps on burning and computer gpu and cpu stay very hot and pc smell like burning

my computer smells like its burning and then it turns off and wont turn on anymore, i have a 500w psu and 4 120mm high power fans for a geforce gtx 550 ti and a intel i5 2500k. Both intel and geforce keep on high temperatures cpu: 60C and gpu:85C but they are still at safe temperatures intel 72C and geforce 100C, and why the psu burns if the others part that are hot? What i do to make the temperatue go down and psu stop burning?

PS: i have already cheked for the psu voltage and my pc only need 440w at 100% and pc is not overclocked, use pc for gaming and put graphics on ultra.

Opaz1ka

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

What brand power supply do you have?, because unless it is 90% efficient then thats why it is burning

Sure sounds like a failed power supply. There are alot of cheap power supplies out there that aren't worth anything.

Stick with a Seasonic (best) XFX,Corsair, or Antec to name a few. Even the worst cooling won't let the computer get to where something burns so don't blame the airflow.

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Some parts in the psu have failed not the whole psu. The two main jobs of the psu to take the voltage coming out of the wall(110 in the US) and convert it to 12V, 5V and 3.3V that computers run on. It also have has to convert AC current to DC current that the computer needs. When the psu puts out higher voltages the parts will fail quickly. When the DC has ripples and not constant parts will run hotter but take longer to fail.

mariobros006

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

if i buy a corsair 750w the problem will solve?