Loud 1155 Fan, 755 Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello,
My problem is that I have myself a socket 1155 heatsink and fan, cooling my i5 3570k, yet the fan makes a very loud wine even on the lowest speed setting, and as of yet I still haven't got my aftermarket cooler, sould I replace the entire heatsink and fan with a socket 775 heatsink and fan, which was used to cool my old Celeron?

The motherboard I have (a Asrock z68 Extreme4 Gen3) has the holes for a socket 775 fan and heatsink to be fitted, I am just wondering would this be an okay way of cooling my i5 Ivy Bridge CPU, which I have overclocked to 4GHz (Auto voltage, and temps didn't even go over 75 degrees with Prime95, and during heavy gaming load doesn't go over 65), would the 775 heatsink and fan still be okay to run the CPU at the overclock?

The main reason I'm doing this, is just because I'm being picky about noise. I don't rate 1155 coolers, you are unable to replace the fan, and the wine that comes from it (well, of mine at least), gets to me. Though when I clench the sides of the plastic surrounding the 1155 fan, the wine stops. As soon as I let go, the wine starts up again.

Please no one just post useless comments at this time of "Buy after market cooler!", for the reason of I'm saving up for 2 60mm thick radiators, a pump/res, expensive fittings and waterblocks for my graphic card and CPU (Ignore if you just don't know what Im on about..), it costing me a bomb, and if theres a quick fix for now, that will atleast mean my system will run quieter, I want to know!

Thanks alot for reading, any help will be appreciated in advance!

Solution
Guys stop fighting!

It wont fit the old one. The area of the CPU is different and the bracket won't work. That is the way they keep the aftermarket cooler companies in business. LOL

I have a hole box of old computer stuff that still works but not in a new system.

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Could you please explain why I cant use the old 775 heatsink and fan?

thats the answer to your question. you want to try it? first off, it wont fit, so.... NO. secondly, it wont be able to cool your chip, so .... NO again. buy a decent air cooler as they perform just as well as water anyway, but since you stated not to say "Buy after market cooler!" i didnt. so since you have some idea of a great water cooling system, just do that. but in all reality, the answer you should be looking for is in fact "Buy after market cooler!". and an air cooler at that.

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Okay, I asked for a simple question of can I use a 775 heatsink with my motherboard, I dont want *** like your answer of what I dont want people suggesting I do. An explanation would have been nice, dont get into how an air cooler can perform just as well as water crap, because thats the most bullshit Ive heard in a long time. Cooling a GTX 690, and a massive overclock of a i5 to not bottleneck the card, cant be done by air. And my reasons for water cooling, has NOTHING to do with what I asked. Watercooling is a whole different topic..

Can you say something helpful instead of just *** that your coming out with? Reasons, why..?

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Okay, thanks, I do want to hear the answer. I know now, it won't fit. Could you tell me why? Is it because I would need a 775 bracket on the back of my motherboard..? You see, I wanted a reason, that was all. And I did read your post, some help it was..

Guys stop fighting!

It wont fit the old one. The area of the CPU is different and the bracket won't work. That is the way they keep the aftermarket cooler companies in business. LOL

I have a hole box of old computer stuff that still works but not in a new system.

Solution

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Oh seriously everything makes perfect sense on here, wanted a ******* answer not an argument. Youve caused me more stress than just ripping the damn thing out of my mobo and trying to shove the old *** in, thanks. Im off to bed.

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

THANK YOU. What I wanted to hear, but at the same time didn't. I had a feeling this would be it, thanks for helping me!

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

A computer class? maybe a tree and some rope is what you need, or a chill pill full of impure ecstasy.

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Nice and relaxing until you pass out dead because the drug that you've took has been made in batch. Oh, the anger management could be nice too, maybe the computer class would be "nice and relaxing" as well. Oh, are you shitting me? You really have nothing better to do than just argue on a computer help forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.