CuriousAmateur

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
I just bought a new GTX 560, and plugged it into the computer. When I turned it on, there was a flash of text which showed that it recognized my card and then the Dell XPS 8300 loading screen came up. It's been over 20 mins and it's still here: I'm doubtful that this is natural. Is it because of my PSU or some other problem?

The PSU says 12V: 18A but the card says it needs 12V: 24A

rt0yn9.jpg

But I read around and apparently Dell PSU's are underrated so I thought I'd give it a shot since the card says it needs 450W and I have a 460W one.
And now I'm stuck. :( Any advice? The screen looks like this:

34r6gyc.jpg

F2 and F12 don't do anything ._.

I also cracked open my case and it had a weird orange light.
2qkukxs.jpg

And if I do need a new PSU, what's the most efficient, cheap one? I've already spent wayy too much on this card.

thanks!

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Yea I wouldn't trust that card with that PSU. not 100% sure its causing the load problem? but its likely.

Looks like your 6pins are just looped back around not sure if that might cause any issues.

Don't know where your from so can't tell which would be the cheapest but the Corsair CX500 is usually cheap anywhere and is decent for that setup.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
It probably does. Its all coming off the 12v rail anyway, just not what im used to.... looks a bit sketchy.

I misread the label last night you've actually got 3 12v rails with a combined total of 42A which sounds fairly high. I would still want to go with a different PSU but it should definitely be getting enough power to run it.

Can you boot up using the onboard graphics?

the 2 molex to single 6 pin counts only as 1. you NEED both 6 pin slots on the card to be filled in order to safely run it.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
If it was me heres the list of things I would be doing:

You should have a VGA port coming out of the motherboard. (you might not, but should do) Either use that or your old card load up windows and remove all your display drivers and install the nvidia ones (get latest from your card manufacturers website)

Refit your card and test.

Obviously tesing on a same spec machine is a good idea. If your having the same problem we know its the hardware configuration so go ahead and do that.

Drawing 2 75w down the same wires doesn't seem like a good idea to me, if anything looks like a bit of a fire hazard. You could try using the molex to pci e on 1 of the feeds and see if that makes a difference.

Finally, if you are feeling confident enough you could use the power supply of of your other machine just to power the graphics alone.

If the latter 2 work then its a PSU issue and recommend you buy a new one.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Also something we all should have done from the start.... Googled it!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/329824-15-dell-8300-460w-geforce

Seems like this chap got his running straight away with no issues. A few people rated his PSU as suitable.... I have no experience with dells. I would still prefer something a bit more gaming oriented with a decent single rail but seems like its got the ok from a few others.

So just reinstall the drivers, if that doesnt work.... test in your other machine then get back to us.

Kari

Splendid
about the amperage, it says the max power from those 12v rails is 385W, that would mean 32amps in total. The 2 six pin plugs are rated for 75W each so 150W (12.5A) through that wire. Though the card shouldn't draw that much at boot since there isn't really any load on it...
You could try to run it with just one of the six pins connected from that double headed wire and use a molex-to-pcie adapter for the other one (prob came with the card). With any luck the molexs are connected to different rail on the psu so it might spread the load around a bit.
IMO the psu should have enough oomph to run the card properly, if it is not faulty somehow...

CuriousAmateur

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
All right so I finally sorted this out with a visit to a local Tigerdirect. Advice to anyone with a failing GPU/computer setup, do not be wary of spending however much you can to reach your goal. Also, if you're NOT a pro hardcore engineer (welcome to my world) please make sure you get someone very tech savvy to look at it. I was lucky that I got an extremely dedicated worker at the store to help me.

For those with Dell XPS 8300's, forget all the rumours about Dell having a great PSU that's underrated. It's actually overrated. A good tip to remember that if the PSU is silver, it's overrated, black is always the better one.
It was to no wonder that my PSU couldn't handle the GTX 560; it was probably only 300W instead of the 460W it was advertised as.

So all in all, I had to buy a new 600W CoolerMaster PSU, one 120 mm fan (control air flow) and settle for a lesser GPU (BiOS kept crashing with the GTX 560; Damn Dell motherboards aren't compatible apparently.)
But I got an EVGA GTX 550Ti with 2 gigs of memory which after some benchmark tests, turned out to be as good as the 560.

So I'm happy! Thanks for the help guys. :D