Sign in with
Your question

Network router problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 22, 2011 8:47:42 PM

I have a DLink DIR 615, and I used to connect multiple PC's - wired & wireless. My internet provider has given a box (modem?) to which I connect a telephone Line In - connection from/to the internet provider (same medium is used for both a telephone & internet). This modem's Internet Out was connected to the DLink Internet In. And everything worked fine.
Recently the modem was replaced with a new modem, and this new modem has 4 LAN out's, but No Internet Out. If I connect LAN Out from this modem to the DLink Internet In, Internet dosent work. I can open the DLINK's configuration at 192.168.0.1, but I cant access the router's configuration at 192.168.1.1.

How can I get the internet to work through my DLink?

I am currently running a long ethernet cable to the laptop from one floor to another :( .

More about : network router problem

October 22, 2011 11:42:23 PM

Sounds like the new device is perhaps a combination router+modem?? You see this far more often w/ DSL, where they combine both components into a single device, and therefore there is no exposed WAN port. I assume all you have are the LAN ports and a coax port that you run directly to the wall's coax port??

If that's the case, then the simplest thing to do is chain your D-Link behind the new modem+router, WAN to LAN, respectively. It should just work, just as long as each is using different subnets (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x).

One downside of the above configuration is that your double NAT’d behind the D-Link (makes firewall management more complex and can introduce some inefficiencies, esp. for gamers due to increase latency). Sometimes you can configure the modem+router in “bridge mode”, which essentially demotes the modem+router to just a modem, and now it drops its firewall, disables its DHCP server, etc., exactly as if you had your old modem installed.

m
l
October 23, 2011 8:46:11 PM

eibgrad said:
Sounds like the new device is perhaps a combination router+modem??

It looks like it is a modem + router.

Quote:
I assume all you have are the LAN ports and a coax port that you run directly to the wall's coax port??

I have only LAN Out & Line In.

Quote:
It should just work, just as long as each is using different subnets (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x).

I presume by different subnet you mean, the routers configuration address (IP address of Router)?
Currently the IP address of the Routers is different.

Quote:
If that's the case, then the simplest thing to do is chain your D-Link behind the new modem+router, WAN to LAN, respectively.

I tried connection LAN out of Modem-Router to DLink WAN In. Dosent work.

Here is the status I got

Quote:
WAN
Connection Type: DHCP Client
Cable Status : Connected
Network Status : Establishing
Connection Up Time : N/A

MAC Address : ************
IP Address : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0
Primary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0

LAN
IP Address : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server : Enabled

WIRELESS LAN
Wireless Radio : Enabled
Network Name (SSID) : dlink
Channel : 6
Security Mode : disable

The network status is in 'Establishing' state forever. What did I miss in your post?
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2011 4:28:51 PM

What is the brand and model of the new equipment. With that i am sure someone can find you some easy instructions for how to connect your router. I am sure you are not the first one with this issue.
m
l
October 24, 2011 8:40:44 PM

steimy said:
What is the brand and model of the new equipment. With that i am sure someone can find you some easy instructions for how to connect your router. I am sure you are not the first one with this issue.

Unfortunately, this modem dosent seem very popular.
It is VMC. Model is AN1020-20
m
l
October 25, 2011 9:22:12 PM

You'll need a crossover cable to connect to a router properly. Alternatively, you could buy a network switch that has an auto MDIX feature built in. With the auto MDIX feature, the crossover is already built in. A crossover allows devices of the same nature (modems, routers, etc) to communicate directly with each other.

This was taken from the user's manual:

LAN1-LAN4: To be connected to a PC network card by a network cable, also can use a crossover cable to connect to Hub, Switch or Router.

The user's manual can be found here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/59198358/User-Manual-Guide-AN...
m
l
!