Will i need to update my power supply?

my specs are as follows:
operating system: windows 7 ultimate 32-bit

CPU: AMD phenom x4 9650 (agen 65nm technology)
RAM: 4.00GB DDR2
mother board:BIOSTAR group M61PC-M2S (socket AM2)
graphics card:Nividia geforce 8400 GS
harddrive:977GB hitachi device
audio:usb audio device

powersupply:450 watts

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card but im not sure if i should upgrade my power supply first. Also if i did upgrade my power supply how much of a difference would i see on my electric bill?

EDIT: sorry about the mistake on the title
43 answers Last reply
More about will update power supply
  1. depends on which PSU you have. Some cheap stuff would list peak power while a good unit would list its real continous power. Given your PSU is probably 4 years old I would replace it anway. A good quality 450w PSU would run just about any single GPU made.
  2. ksmils93 said:
    my specs are as follows:
    operating system: windows 7 ultimate 32-bit

    CPU: AMD phenom x4 9650 (agen 65nm technology)
    RAM: 4.00GB DDR2
    mother board:BIOSTAR group M61PC-M2S (socket AM2)
    graphics card:Nividia geforce 8400 GS
    harddrive:977GB hitachi device
    audio:usb audio device

    powersupply:450 watts

    I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card but im not sure if i should upgrade my power supply first. Also if i did upgrade my power supply how much of a difference would i see on my electric bill?

    EDIT: sorry about the mistake on the title


    Hi - your electric bill will not be affected by the PSU watt rating,
    as it only takes from the wall(efficiency affected) the amount your pc components
    demand from your PSU. It will be minimally affected by the PSU efficiency tho.

    You can purchase the PSU 1st (I did), but you need to know which
    GPU you are going to purchase. Some cards are fine with <430w,
    some need 450, some 500, etc.

    What is the make & model of the PSU you now have?

    Tom
  3. toyftw said:
    Hi - your electric bill will not be affected by the PSU watt rating,
    as it only takes from the wall(efficiency affected) the amount your pc components
    demand from your PSU. It will be minimally affected by the PSU efficiency tho.

    You can purchase the PSU 1st (I did), but you need to know which
    GPU you are going to purchase. Some cards are fine with <430w,
    some need 450, some 500, etc.

    What is the make & model of the PSU you now have?

    Tom


    EXTREME ATX 450W
    model no.RSY-645
  4. A quick search says that power supply can be bought for less than $20, personally I wouldn't use it.
  5. Calculate your system power requirement here : http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

    Get the PSU with 80+ symbol, for better efficiency and slightly lesser electricity bill compare to the one without the symbol.

    One important side note : Make sure ur new PSU have enough PCI-E power adapters to support the new card that you are getting.
  6. ksmils93 said:
    EXTREME ATX 450W
    model no.RSY-645


    Hi again - I see popatim beat me to it. That's the reason
    I asked for make/model, there's no telling how much
    power that thing really has.

    Anyway, would still need to know which GPU you
    are going to get to recommend a PSU. You
    could get a quality 550w unit as it would be
    sufficient for almost any card out there.

    Quality brands: Seasonic, XFX, PC P & Cooling, Antec,
    Rosewill Capstone Series,most Corsairs, & a few others.

    Tom
  7. ksmils93 said:
    EXTREME ATX 450W
    model no.RSY-645

    That's the power supply that was included in this computer case:

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1901962

    Its +12V rail is rated at 17.5 Amps which is extremely weak for a 450 Watt power supply. Very likely its 450 Watts peak, not continuous.

    Any modern power supply from a reputable brand will be more efficient than this generic PSU.
  8. ok thanks guys but i have 2 more questions.
    1)which energy efficient PSU would you suggest from http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=106&name=Power-Supplies&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computer%20Parts-_-Spot%2013

    2) is there a specific type of power supply? for example i know graphic cards have different slots and you need to check what slot before buying the card.
  9. Which brand and model of graphics card are you considering? We need to know this so that we can ensure that the appropriate number and type of PCI Express power connectors is included if required.

    Whats your budget range?
  10. i can spend anywhere from 100-200$

    i need a PCIx16 card

    im not really sure what card i want but pref from nividia.
  11. ksmils93 said:
    i can spend anywhere from 100-200$

    i need a PCIx16 card

    im not really sure what card i want but pref from nividia.

    GeForce GTX 690
    • Minimum of a 650 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps or greater and with at least two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    GeForce GTX 680
    • Minimum of a 550 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    GeForce GTX 670
    • Minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    GeForce GTX 660 Ti and non-Ti versions
    • Minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    GeForce GTX 650 Ti and non-Ti versions
    • Minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and with at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    This one will handle all of the cards listed:

    XFX P1650SNLB9 Core Edition Power Supply - 650W, 80 Plus Bronze, 135mm Fan, Active PFC, Single +12V Rail

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=125450&CatId=5432
  12. Try to spend the extra to get a 660 over the 650ti, its well worth it imo, but in the sub $200 category the HD7850 wins the prize, both the 1gb and 2gb varieties can be found well under $200.
  13. ko888 said:
    GeForce GTX 690
    • Minimum of a 650 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps or greater and with at least two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    GeForce GTX 680
    • Minimum of a 550 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    GeForce GTX 670
    • Minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    GeForce GTX 660 Ti and non-Ti versions
    • Minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    GeForce GTX 650 Ti and non-Ti versions
    • Minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply with a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and with at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    This one will handle all of the cards listed:

    XFX P1650SNLB9 Core Edition Power Supply - 650W, 80 Plus Bronze, 135mm Fan, Active PFC, Single +12V Rail

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=125450&CatId=5432

    thanks for all the help but i, once again have a few questions.

    now price isnt really an issue here but id much rather just go to the store and purchase it myself .so ive checked out a few PSU's that are in store and was just wondering what thought of them.
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=899124&CatId=1483
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5074042&CatId=1483
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4434993&CatId=1483
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3844172&CatId=1483
  14. ksmils93 said:
    thanks for all the help but i, once again have a few questions.

    now price isnt really an issue here but id much rather just go to the store and purchase it myself .so ive checked out a few PSU's that are in store and was just wondering what thought of them.
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=899124&CatId=1483
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5074042&CatId=1483
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4434993&CatId=1483
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3844172&CatId=1483

    Ranked based on quality:

    1. Corsair HX Series HX650 (SKU# 75-001217 / CP-9020030-NA)

    2. Corsair GS Series GS600 (SKU# 75-001181 / CP-9020012-NA)

    3. Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 <--- Old obsolete design

    4. Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600W (RS-600-PCAR-E3) <--- An absolute horrible piece of garbage that runs out of spec from 80% load and higher.
  15. thanks guys i ended up going with the corsair hx650 watt power supply and the gtx 660 graphic card. however im just wondering if my CPU should be replaced or not. is it up to date with my other specs?

    (AMD phenom x4 9650)
  16. ksmils93 said:
    thanks guys i ended up going with the corsair hx650 watt power supply and the gtx 660 graphic card. however im just wondering if my CPU should be replaced or not. is it up to date with my other specs?

    (AMD phenom x4 9650)

    Monitor your CPU usage while the graphics card is under a full gaming load. If the CPU usage is consistently pegged near 100% for the cores in use then you definitely need to upgrade the CPU.
  17. i have no idea how to do that......please explain how to do that
  18. You can use the Windows 7 task manager which has a graphing function to monitor your CPU load.
  19. http://imgur.com/GK4eIxI

    is that what you mean?
    should i improve get more ram?
  20. ksmils93 said:
    http://imgur.com/GK4eIxI

    is that what you mean?
    should i improve get more ram?

    Yes, that's what I mean.

    You have the 32-bit version of Windows 7 so adding more memory isn't going to help you since anything over 4 GB won't be recognized or used anyway.

    If you had the 64-bit version of Windows 7 then I would say definitely add more memory.
  21. the 9650 being a gen1 phenom could certainly use updating. The phenom 2's were an excellent upgrade if your motherbd supports them.
  22. would http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904561&CatId=7339 be a good CPU?
    also is it compatable with my current mother board?
  23. ksmils93 said:
    would http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904561&CatId=7339 be a good CPU?
    also is it compatable with my current mother board?

    The AMD FX-8350 is a decent Socket AM3+ processor.

    Your current BIOSTAR M61PC-M2S (Socket AM2) motherboard does not support this processor.
  24. if not can you guys reccommend me a CPU from this site http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501108&CatId=7182

    also do you guys think i should get a new mother board?
  25. i couldent find 1 that are socket AM2 so would you just suggest i buy a new mother board?
  26. ksmils93 said:
    if not can you guys reccommend me a CPU from this site http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501108&CatId=7182

    also do you guys think i should get a new mother board?

    They don't carry any AMD Phenom Socket AM2/AM2+ processors but they do carry Phenom II Socket AM3 processors that won't work with your motherboard.

    If you want to upgrade the processor your only choice is to get a new motherboard, CPU and memory.

    You can look for bundle deals that include the motherboard, CPU and memory.
  27. ksmils93 said:

    Either one of those motherboards are fine if your computer case is able to fit a full size ATX form factor motherboard. Your current Biostar motherboard seems to be Micro-ATX form factor.

    You'll also need to buy DDR3 RAM because your current DDR2 RAM won't work with those new motherboards.
  28. if i was to swap out the CPU to the fx-8150 how much of a difference would i see in gaming?
    FPS wise how much do you think it would improve?
  29. ksmils93 said:
    if i was to swap out the CPU to the fx-8150 how much of a difference would i see in gaming?
    FPS wise how much do you think it would improve?

    Swap out which CPU?

    You can only use the AMD FX-8150 with a new motherboard.

    The performance increase in going to a new motherboard, CPU and RAM will depend on where the bottleneck in your old system was occurring but you should notice a performance increase.
  30. ok so i bought the mother board you recommended and the fx 8150 and the fan is SCREAMING could i just use my old fan?


    EDIT: OMG please hurry with da response the fan is driving me INSANE
  31. ksmils93 said:
    ok so i bought the mother board you recommended and the fx 8150 and the fan is SCREAMING could i just use my old fan?


    EDIT: OMG please hurry with da response the fan is driving me INSANE

    Which fan are you talking about?

    If it's the CPU cooler fan that is included with the CPU, make sure that the CPU is properly mounted and the CPU temperature is operating within the normal range and not overheating. If the CPU cooler's heatsink isn't making proper contact with the CPU's heat spreader the CPU will overheat and the CPU cooling fan will be running at maximum speed in an attempt to bring the temperature down to a safe range.

    If the CPU temperature is normal and the fan is still noisy then contact your vendor for remediation.
  32. ok so i reinstalled my old set up mother board and all and now my CPU is really overheating the only thing i did was remove the fan and put it back in to see how you do it so i can do it on the new mother board.

    so i dont think i put it in wrong.
  33. ksmils93 said:
    ok so i reinstalled my old set up mother board and all and now my CPU is really overheating the only thing i did was remove the fan and put it back in to see how you do it so i can do it on the new mother board.

    so i dont think i put it in wrong.

    Is the CPU cooler's heatsink making proper contact with the CPU's heat spreader?
  34. nvm i just forgot to plug the fan back in....

    anyway about the fan being crazy loud, when i went to unplug everythig and remove everything i unplugged the fan and tried to pull it out...it took alot more power then i thought just to lift it out, then when i finally used alot of force the cpu was literally stuck to the to the top of the fan.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Components Product