Mark D_95

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Im looking to upgrade my computer complete so i can make a custom made computer. I was wondering if you needed to buy a graphics card that is compatible with my CPU. Or will any graphics card be fine with any cpu? The same with the motherboard would that need to be a certain one to work the my CPU and Graphics Card?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Motherboards and CPUs must have matching sockets.

Graphics cards are demanding as far as power is concerned, and the PSU must be adequate.

As a general rule, if you match up the motherboard socket and the CPU socket, the combination will work. Add a Graphics card and provide adequate power from a good brand PSU.

Then make sure that the RAM is adequate in terms of GBs and type (DDR3 per the motherboard). The capacity in GBs of the RAM is determined by how much the motherboard can support.

A cost effective way to upgrade a given computer is to increase the RAM capacity and stay under or at the motherboard's capability.

Mark D_95

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

So any graphics card should work?

Cheers for quick reply! :)

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

Correct, any graphics card should work with any CPU. HOWEVER, as Ubrales said, the power supply must be adequate.

Please post additional information about your current computer and we can assist further.

A qualified 'Yes'.

The motherboard should have the appropriate PCI slot available, and the PSU should have a suitable (some have two) cable that feeds additional power to the Graphics card. High end cards need two PCI power inputs from the PSU. This means that the PSU must be adequate.

Mark D_95

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

At this moment in time my computer is none existent due to is being low end stuff.

Mark D_95

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

Is it possible for me to have a higher power supply than needed or will it damage my computer?

No problem! Get a beefy good quality brand (Corsair, Seasonic, Antec) PSU. The PSU will draw only the power that it needs from the wall outlet. And generally, a higher rated PSU will run quieter and cooler.