Sign in with
Your question

Computer crash

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2013 9:41:09 PM

Hello,
my computer just crashed two times. I think it's problem with processor heating. Idle temp. is 40°C, but in load (terragen rendering) goes up to 95°C. After crash computer is not able boot about 1 hour
First crash came from nowhere, I just watchin' movie and some internet stuff.
Second crash was "on purpose", I ran some heavy math algorithms. It went just fine (even on 95°C) and stable about half an hour. In moment when I stopped that process, computer crashed and again, one hour nothing but 1 sec fan spins (no POST beep).

Strange thing is that until today it was all good, no dust in computer, 100% processor load is pretty common in my work, computer never crashed.

It's not a problem to buy some new cooler, but I'am looking for other ideas, if it's not something else.

setup:
Intel 2600K (no OC)
mobo Intel DH67BL
16GB 1600MHz Corsair rams
nVidia GTX570
700W Corsair PSU

More about : computer crash

a b à CPUs
January 27, 2013 10:02:31 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

It is quite possible that the CPU is damaged. 95 degrees C is what you are seeing; however, the temperature spikes are not noticed. The temps spikes may have fried the CPU.

To reduce the temps. you need to look into a good after-market heatsink and assemble it to the CPU using high quality thermal compound; a very thin layer according to established industry standards.

For your type of application I hope you are not using the stock Intel heatsink.
January 29, 2013 5:01:36 PM

So, just for information.
Problem solved, it was not problem of heatsink (per se) or processor itself.
I just tried some swap test an in the end - it was mobo issue. Never saw or even heard about something like that.

Anyway, thank you for your comment :-)

M.
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2013 6:09:16 PM

Glad everything worked out well!
!