shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
How can I convert the DLink DIR 615 to a wireless access point, such that I can connect it to another wireless router (this router being the source of Internet)? Is it possible at all??

Solution
I provided some solutions in the other thread pertaining to this same setup, so that may be a preferred solution, particularly if you prefer your own router to the one provided by the cable company.

But if you want to take yet another approach and just use the D-Link as a WAP, it's pretty simple. Just disable its DHCP server, give it an IP address in the same scope as the modem+router (of course, an IP address not in use elsewhere, statically or handed out by DHCP), and patch them LAN to LAN.
I provided some solutions in the other thread pertaining to this same setup, so that may be a preferred solution, particularly if you prefer your own router to the one provided by the cable company.

But if you want to take yet another approach and just use the D-Link as a WAP, it's pretty simple. Just disable its DHCP server, give it an IP address in the same scope as the modem+router (of course, an IP address not in use elsewhere, statically or handed out by DHCP), and patch them LAN to LAN.

Solution

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

This worked like a charm. Thank you!

Can I use this as a WAP in a different room and make it behave like a destination for data, rather than a source of data?
In this 'destination room' I need 3 wired devices to be connected. I would like first room to be the source and this second room being the destination. I have to go through a lot of trouble to swap other way around - change wiring from ISP completely.

From the way it is connected, It looks like it is a WAP. Kindly confirm.
Depending on this I will buy an appropriate device. Another Router or WAP with Splitter.

You're losing me. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

What you did (based on my instructions) is convert the D-Link router into a WAP (wireless access point). Now your "wired only" router has wireless, and is IDENTICAL in functionality to a wireless router. You can connect wireless clients and send data back and forth between the router and those wireless clients. There's nothing more to do. It all just works. That's why I'm confused by your questions. If you'd like to place the WAP in a distant location from the router, you certainly can do it, just patch a longer ethernet cable between them. You're only limited by the max length of an ethernet cable, which is about 100m.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

sorry if i confused you.

Currently I have room A where the modem is connected to the DLink router (now a WAP). This can be used for the wireless devices. I have a room B, where there will be 3 devices which require *wired* connections (Desktop, TV, & AV Receiver). I intend to use this DLink WAP in that room with these devices connected to it, and have another router at room A which is connected to the modem. Was wondering if this will work.

Also, since I converted the DLink to a WAP. We are able to use it only for a while. Soon the modem seems to reset regularly every couple of minutes. If we use only modem and wire it to a PC then all is fine. Make it wireless through the DLink WAP and it behaves same way, keeps resetting regularly.