Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX to Intel i7 Upgrade HELP

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2013 11:01:28 PM

So I recently decided to start saving for an i7 3770k and mobo. But the key here is that I would like to keep my other components. I know the other components i have are compatible. But the thing is is that I have windows 7 hotfixes for amd fx cpus installed and I have bios for a complete different mobo installed. My Question is will having this installed with my intel i7 upgrade effect anything or could i just put the new bios on a flashdrive flash the new mobo and hope the i7 will ignore the fx hotfixes?

More about : amd intel upgrade

January 27, 2013 11:24:29 PM

Just to clear some things up here I'm upgrading from a FX-4100 to an i7-3770k for practical reasons over an i5 3570k. I would be using the computer for mainly gaming and video production. I'm going to oc it maybe even push for 4.2 to 4.4GHZ. So If it weren't for the video production part i would go for the 3570k.
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 27, 2013 11:47:15 PM

Well when u get the i7 and mobo, u will need to format the hard drive and reinstall windows. well u dont have to reinstall windows but then the old os will just sit there taking up space. trying to run windows with new hardware from amd to intel even amd to amd will usually cause a bsod and will not work
Related resources
January 27, 2013 11:52:45 PM

lazyboy947 said:
Well when u get the i7 and mobo, u will need to format the hard drive and reinstall windows. well u dont have to reinstall windows but then the old os will just sit there taking up space. trying to run windows with new hardware from amd to intel even amd to amd will usually cause a bsod and will not work

Not too sure what your saying here im just upgrading the mobo and cpu theres no new os involved. Im asking will the hotfixes installed for amd fx series cpus effect the i7 set up along with the bios for the other board. Could i just download the bios for the new mobo to a flashdrive and upon intial boot just flash it to the new bios and hope the i7 ignores the hotfixes
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 27, 2013 11:58:26 PM

The bios stay with the board not on a hard drive, and with installing new hardware like an i7 plus motherboard, u must connect a hard drive, and obviously the one ur using has windows plus the fx hotfixes and driver etc. Well with using the same hard drive with the i7 u will need to redo windows as if u attempt to use the current install that was installed with ur fx 4100 and mobo it will crash every time.

Redoing windows will get rid of the hotfixes and drivers from previous install and will cause no issues, and they would cause no issues if u attempted to use the same OS with the hdd as it will crash before hitting windows
January 28, 2013 12:01:59 AM

lazyboy947 said:
The bios stay with the board not on a hard drive, and with installing new hardware like an i7 plus motherboard, u must connect a hard drive, and obviously the one ur using has windows plus the fx hotfixes and driver etc. Well with using the same hard drive with the i7 u will need to redo windows as if u attempt to use the current install that was installed with ur fx 4100 and mobo it will crash every time.

Redoing windows will get rid of the hotfixes and drivers from previous install and will cause no issues, and they would cause no issues if u attempted to use the same OS with the hdd as it will crash before hitting windows

Could I keep the same copy of windows 7 or will i have to go and buy another copy?
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 28, 2013 12:06:09 AM

look for a program online thats free that will find ur current win 7 product key, search "win 7 product key finder" or something along those lines, then all u need to do is get or use a install disc or usb with win7 on it to install windows and reuse the product code
January 28, 2013 12:12:38 AM

lazyboy947 said:
look for a program online thats free that will find ur current win 7 product key, search "win 7 product key finder" or something along those lines, then all u need to do is get or use a install disc or usb with win7 on it to install windows and reuse the product code

I have the key on the box from when I bought it... I going to buy a ssd so then i can plug that in and use that to boot off of for the first time then once the system works and all I will plug in my current HDD and delete all previous windows software and such.
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 28, 2013 12:14:01 AM

sounds like a plan, so the ssd will have the new install of windows for the i7 etc, and once done delete all old win info?
January 28, 2013 12:19:45 AM

lazyboy947 said:
sounds like a plan, so the ssd will have the new install of windows for the i7 etc, and once done delete all old win info?

Yes thats the idea just dont know a whole lot about ssd's don't know the good brands and what size to get i was looking at a OCZ 64 gig Vertex 4 ssd. Also when i do this when i plug my old HDD in will it protect the windows info? Or am i free to edit it?
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 28, 2013 12:31:31 AM

Protect as in not allow u delete it?

Ocz makes good ssds, corsair, samsung, intel, mushkin, heard okay things from adata, and usually matters wat u want on the ssd. I have a 60gb vertex 3 and it has my os and small applications and has about 15gb left. Usually a 120/128 is best or 240 for games or bigger programs that u want on it, usually a good ssd is sata 3 has 6gb/s, and around 500mb read/write, and has reliable reviews
January 28, 2013 12:46:22 AM

lazyboy947 said:
Protect as in not allow u delete it?

Ocz makes good ssds, corsair, samsung, intel, mushkin, heard okay things from adata, and usually matters wat u want on the ssd. I have a 60gb vertex 3 and it has my os and small applications and has about 15gb left. Usually a 120/128 is best or 240 for games or bigger programs that u want on it, usually a good ssd is sata 3 has 6gb/s, and around 500mb read/write, and has reliable reviews

Yes as in protect and not allow to delete. I'm just going to use it as a boot drive. I really appreciate all the help and info you have supplied me with I ordered the i7 and mobo an hour ago. But im going to do some research on an ssd before I pull the trigger on that.
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 28, 2013 1:15:31 AM

Alright if the hdd is not ur boot drive then the old files shouldnt be protected but im not sure on that
!