Is a 400 MHz PII simply too slow for today's internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I've got an ancient Dell GX1 running a 400 MHz Pentium II with Win98 SE and 256mb of ram. I can get online with it, but pages take forever to load. I have an identical machine running Win2K, with the same result.

Are those machines just too slow nowadays to expect reasonable web browsing with? If so, I will choose faster machines (maybe P4) to run those o/s on. Thanks for any insights.

Solution

Hi :)

Plenty for 98, but NOT enough for fast web pages.... increase it if you can...it will make a HUGE difference...

All the best Brett :)

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks, I'll have to try that.

My IBM with 1.8 GHz P4 and XP runs fine on the internet.

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

That's interesting Brett, I didn't think about that. The max for 98 is 512 mb, I'll have to see if I've got more ram to put in and give it a shot. Thanks!

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks, but part of the allure for me is using these ancient operating systems....sort of a reminder of "back when" if you know what I mean...

I actually do have a Linux computer (runs Mint 13); I use that particular one when I am visiting sites that are prone to viruses (we won't discuss which ones) :lol:

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
But you know, I could always sell them on ebay (DOS gamers might want them) and upgrade my hardware a bit. It still has to be somewhat old though (like a P3 or P4), or else it defeats the whole purpose, you know?

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
No offense, but anything virtual pc is my sworn enemy. I'm into vintage machines...running an old o/s on a new machine is a travesty to my way of thinking. And it's gotta be full ATX for me :D

But I am going to take the tips above to heart...I'm going to up the ram and disable Java and see what happens. For right now I can only go as high as 384 mb without buying at least one 256 stick of ram (my mobo has 3 memory slots and all I have are 128 mb sticks).

If those things don't do the trick, I will be resigned to the fact that 400 MHz is indeed too slow, and I'll get something with at least a 1 GHz processor.

What do you guys think of Pentium III's? I know I can get one that's as fast as a lower end P4...

Status
Not open for further replies.