Can this Build be Improved or changed?

MercHartman

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hi everyone. this is going to be my first build. I've got an idea what I'm in for but with the *Ivy Bridge* vs *sandy bridge* processors.. and the *z68* vs *z77* is after giving me a god damn headache trying to make sense of it all. the goal of this system is to be able to play the likes of. battlefield 3. Farcry 3. crysis 3. *holy *** is every game out now the third installment... ac3 comes to mind also. and max payne 3. Jesus! anyway.

pretty much what I expect is to play every game to date. without any annoying lag. or bullshit on higher settings. and a little bit of future proofing so 3 months down the line I Don't have to scrap it to make a new one.

now By no means are these top of the line specs but. I don't have a lot of money to play with. if it means spending another 2 months without building this to get more funds that would make a smarter build.. then so be it. I'm in no rush to spend money and need to spend more anytime soon. I'm all for sli down the line but I want this to be a good build not a frankenstein with too much money put into the motherboard..and not powerful enough cpu.. and it all being configured wrong. like a gpu for a 2000dollar pc. with parts for a 500dollar pc. you get me?

anyway this is what I cooked up.

Cpu: i5-2500k < heard this was the best for the price ..... €219

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX - Socket 1155 - ATX ..... €119

Gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX660Ti - SC - 2 GB - PCIe < Im not sure if there are better brands of this model gpu. or there are better gpus for the same price range. I dont know how well this card will do playing bf3. I know it will play it reasonably well but how good I don't know. ... €319

Power Supply: Corsair - Gaming GS500 - 500 Watt *No clue how good this model or brand of Psu are. Or if 500watts is enough to power everything. I doubt there's enough for dual gtx660ti's down the line. though that would be nice. .... €69.95

RAM: Corsair DIMM Low Profile - 8GB 1600MHz PC3-12800 *Pretty sure this is compatible with the motherboard and at a good price I seen 8gbs of ram. same Mhz and it was priced double what these are? I don't get how that works.. €57.95

Case: I don't know how much I Should spend here. but I want good cooling. I might get into over clocking when it gets built I will start another thread. maybe you guys/girls could explain how that works but Now I'm jumping the gun Ain't I :sarcastic:

for the cases. this is what Im deciding on. btw mention any that are as good or better than these. as Im using a site called komplett.ie to buy all these parts. I will give links to all the parts including the site so you can see what other options is there with all parts.

1) Antec Twelve Hundred V3 - Midi Tower - no PSU .. €159.00
2) Antec Eleven Hundred - Full Tower- noPSU ... €119.95
3) Antec Six Hundred V2 - Mid tower - no PSU ... €84.95
4) Cooler Master HAF X - Full tower - No PSU .. €156.00

there are a few others on the site but these look nice.. the one I was going for was the antec six hundred but the twelve hundred looks good with the amount of fans and space for future proofing.. hmm

HDD: Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA-600 7200rpm 32MB I heard these were good but I don't know how they fair in todays market. there is a 64mb model but I dont understand what these mean 32mbvs64mb??? I will buy an ssd at a later day. unless its really needed. I hate long boot up times! :cry: .. €89.95

Optional

well As I said I'd like to over clock and for that you probably need a better cpu cooler than the standard one. I bet you guys/girls know exactly where to go in this situation. its not like thats all I wan't from this system but if i can squeeze out a big enough amount of power from this system while keeping it stable.. and get better frames in my games then Im all for overclooking and buying better cooling. this is the fan i had in mind.. it looks pretty cool Imo :sol:

Cooler Master V8 - 120mm: .. €69.95

and all that coupled with windows

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit OEM UK: .. €99.95

that's everything right? Im pretty sure I got it all. to make the tower. I have a screen here I'm using its a samsung syncmaster Model 2032MW 20inch. so I don't think I need to buy a new monitor.

that adds up to. €1059.75 - the heatsink

is there any way I Can lower that price while still keeping the same performance or better? I appreciate everyone that gives me tips on this one.. looking forward to the comments :)

g-unit1111

Titan
Power Supply: Corsair - Gaming GS500 - 500 Watt *No clue how good this model or brand of Psu are. Or if 500watts is enough to power everything. I doubt there's enough for dual gtx660ti's down the line. though that would be nice. .... €69.95

Corsair makes a lot of good power supplies - but the GS series aren't one of them.

Cpu: i5-2500k < heard this was the best for the price ..... €219

But not with a Z77 motherboard. Get the i5-3570K instead - it unlocks more features and your system will last longer as it's designed to work with newer hardware (Thunderbolt, etc).

Gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX660Ti - SC - 2 GB - PCIe < Im not sure if there are better brands of this model gpu. or there are better gpus for the same price range. I dont know how well this card will do playing bf3. I know it will play it reasonably well but how good I don't know. ... €319

I like EVGA personally - they have a great support department and give you a rather generous warranty among other things.

for the cases. this is what Im deciding on. btw mention any that are as good or better than these. as Im using a site called komplett.ie to buy all these parts. I will give links to all the parts including the site so you can see what other options is there with all parts.

I personally like the Antec 1100 out of those choices. But for that kind of budget I'd suggest this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - €99.00
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 - €106.95
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - €142.95
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - €233.00
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - €37.95
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz 1.5V - €57.95
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM - €109.00
Optical: Sony DVD Burner - €28.75
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 660TI - €309.00

Total €1,124.55

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£175.27 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£78.74 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£31.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£63.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£82.79 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£251.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£251.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£83.29 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1137.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-15 01:04 BST+0100)

A tiny bit over what i guess is your budget but its worth every penny.