Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CAD System - First Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 13, 2012 9:00:26 PM

Hello. This is my first build. My intent is to build a really strong CAD machine (specifically Civil 3D 2013). I have come up with what I feel is a really good build, but am looking for some options before I purchase all hardware. Is there any week points? Am I overbuilding in any way? Is there any part I could substitute to save $ but keep similar performance? I wasn't really sure about a good graphics card without spending a ton of money. Also not listed here is a 10k drive for all data and non program files. I do a lot of roadway modeling that I like to view in 3D. I would also like this to be able to perform well when I start rendering and adding textures to the models for visualization. Again any input is welcome. Budget is max $3000, but the less the better. Thanks in advance.

Link to the parts I picked out from my build>>>>

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/28ffc78c-07fa-473a...

More about : cad system build

September 13, 2012 11:33:31 PM

Certainly looks like pretty good build, with a couple of "observations".
Power supply is way more than you need, for "shown" build. Is there a reason, for that.
Didn't notice any case selection. If you are planning multiple drives, in sophisticated raid array, that needs to be taken into account.
My natural inclination, for workstation graphics, would be to something like Quadro 4000. You would know your needs, far better than I, so it's a question of whether you are satisfied.
I would think about your SSD. Samsung 830 or even Plextor, are better, generally, and I presume that would remain the case, with your needs.
Apart from ensuring PSU is reasonably sized, most of these points are relatively minor, if YOU are happy it meets your needs. Difficult for me to know what "level" you require.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 11:52:53 PM

id get something like this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hnff

1: id get a quadro card given your workstation usage
2:you wont need a 10k drive unless you need mass storage on the cheap and with some more speed
3:the 550w i provided will be enough to get the system running nicely
m
0
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 2:02:56 AM

malbluff said:
Certainly looks like pretty good build, with a couple of "observations".
Power supply is way more than you need, for "shown" build. Is there a reason, for that.
Didn't notice any case selection. If you are planning multiple drives, in sophisticated raid array, that needs to be taken into account.
My natural inclination, for workstation graphics, would be to something like Quadro 4000. You would know your needs, far better than I, so it's a question of whether you are satisfied.
I would think about your SSD. Samsung 830 or even Plextor, are better, generally, and I presume that would remain the case, with your needs.
Apart from ensuring PSU is reasonably sized, most of these points are relatively minor, if YOU are happy it meets your needs. Difficult for me to know what "level" you require.


Any suggestions for a power supply size? I have a CM Stormtrooper case. It is prob a lot more then I need and may consider changing that. The only thing I was planning for the drives was: SSD for OS and programs then 10K drive for file and drawing storage. (the only reason I was even thinking the 10K was because I use tons of externally referenced files in my drawings and I though it might allow for smother access). The quadro 4000 is definitely something I am going to look into, I dont want my graphics to be the weak part of the system.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:08:18 AM

you wont need more than 500w.

10k drives will probably give you a 1-5 sec overall increase in load times for certain usages. its not that much given you have to pay a lot more for a rather small increase in performance
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:15:34 AM

With the system "as is" you want around 550w supply. Of course, you need to check that when you've confirmed everything else. Depending on the level of work you are doing, some sort of raid system (how clever depends...) is worth considering. If you can locate it, I seem to remember PC & Tech Authority did a very good article, on the pros & cons (and how), recently (last couple of months).
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:22:18 AM

TheBigTroll said:
you wont need more than 500w.

10k drives will probably give you a 1-5 sec overall increase in load times for certain usages. its not that much given you have to pay a lot more for a rather small increase in performance


Thanks I will keep that in mind.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:24:31 AM

malbluff said:
With the system "as is" you want around 550w supply. Of course, you need to check that when you've confirmed everything else. Depending on the level of work you are doing, some sort of raid system (how clever depends...) is worth considering. If you can locate it, I seem to remember PC & Tech Authority did a very good article, on the pros & cons (and how), recently (last couple of months).


I will try to find that article and read up. Thank You
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:38:57 AM

What CAD software are you running? I'm a heavy solidworks user, and I've had great success with the AMD graphics cards. I'm currently running an AMD 5900, and it's performance is outstanding. I don't think you need the 3960X - it's way over priced and the 3930K will give you all the performance you need... :D 
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:48:18 AM

bradkman said:
What CAD software are you running? I'm a heavy solidworks user, and I've had great success with the AMD graphics cards. I'm currently running an AMD 5900, and it's performance is outstanding. I don't think you need the 3960X - it's way over priced and the 3930K will give you all the performance you need... :D 

Good point. For what little 3960 gives over 3930, it really doesn't justify the price difference.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 3:02:55 AM

bradkman said:
What CAD software are you running? I'm a heavy solidworks user, and I've had great success with the AMD graphics cards. I'm currently running an AMD 5900, and it's performance is outstanding. I don't think you need the 3960X - it's way over priced and the 3930K will give you all the performance you need... :D 


I am using Civil 3D 2013. I was looking at the 3930K. I really just dont want there to be any lag in the software. Im probably just being picky, but when I select objects or access the ribbon I want it to be responsive. The system I am running now(and this may be the problem....1st gen i7 2.2) every selection I make a 1-3sec lag. I want to reduce that as much as possible. It drives me crazy when your constantly selecting objects in the drawing to find errors in the design. Do you notice any lag in solidworks using the 3930K?
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 11:51:17 AM

I've not used Solidworks, myself, but I believe they only "certify" workstation graphics cards. That doesn't mean consumer graphics won't work, but may have some bearing on "support". Worth checking.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 11:57:45 AM

Intel i7 3930k as processor then a quadro 4000 is a good start there mate, and maybe a high amount of ram depending if you hate seeing your memory usage go above 50%,

well so far a quadro 4000 is great. have one too it has been great for me.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 7:13:02 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Switched up a few components. Dropped my cost and I feel pretty good about my build.
m
0
l
!