CAD System - First Build

evc3d

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hello. This is my first build. My intent is to build a really strong CAD machine (specifically Civil 3D 2013). I have come up with what I feel is a really good build, but am looking for some options before I purchase all hardware. Is there any week points? Am I overbuilding in any way? Is there any part I could substitute to save $ but keep similar performance? I wasn't really sure about a good graphics card without spending a ton of money. Also not listed here is a 10k drive for all data and non program files. I do a lot of roadway modeling that I like to view in 3D. I would also like this to be able to perform well when I start rendering and adding textures to the models for visualization. Again any input is welcome. Budget is max $3000, but the less the better. Thanks in advance.

Link to the parts I picked out from my build>>>>

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/28ffc78c-07fa-473a-9e88-28290f453f1d/97052a48728211b39390df7e91b71f40

malbluff

Honorable
Certainly looks like pretty good build, with a couple of "observations".
Power supply is way more than you need, for "shown" build. Is there a reason, for that.
Didn't notice any case selection. If you are planning multiple drives, in sophisticated raid array, that needs to be taken into account.
My natural inclination, for workstation graphics, would be to something like Quadro 4000. You would know your needs, far better than I, so it's a question of whether you are satisfied.
I would think about your SSD. Samsung 830 or even Plextor, are better, generally, and I presume that would remain the case, with your needs.
Apart from ensuring PSU is reasonably sized, most of these points are relatively minor, if YOU are happy it meets your needs. Difficult for me to know what "level" you require.

evc3d

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

Any suggestions for a power supply size? I have a CM Stormtrooper case. It is prob a lot more then I need and may consider changing that. The only thing I was planning for the drives was: SSD for OS and programs then 10K drive for file and drawing storage. (the only reason I was even thinking the 10K was because I use tons of externally referenced files in my drawings and I though it might allow for smother access). The quadro 4000 is definitely something I am going to look into, I dont want my graphics to be the weak part of the system.

malbluff

Honorable
With the system "as is" you want around 550w supply. Of course, you need to check that when you've confirmed everything else. Depending on the level of work you are doing, some sort of raid system (how clever depends...) is worth considering. If you can locate it, I seem to remember PC & Tech Authority did a very good article, on the pros & cons (and how), recently (last couple of months).

evc3d

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

evc3d

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

I will try to find that article and read up. Thank You

bradkman

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
What CAD software are you running? I'm a heavy solidworks user, and I've had great success with the AMD graphics cards. I'm currently running an AMD 5900, and it's performance is outstanding. I don't think you need the 3960X - it's way over priced and the 3930K will give you all the performance you need... :D

malbluff

Honorable

Good point. For what little 3960 gives over 3930, it really doesn't justify the price difference.

evc3d

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

I am using Civil 3D 2013. I was looking at the 3930K. I really just dont want there to be any lag in the software. Im probably just being picky, but when I select objects or access the ribbon I want it to be responsive. The system I am running now(and this may be the problem....1st gen i7 2.2) every selection I make a 1-3sec lag. I want to reduce that as much as possible. It drives me crazy when your constantly selecting objects in the drawing to find errors in the design. Do you notice any lag in solidworks using the 3930K?

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Intel i7 3930k as processor then a quadro 4000 is a good start there mate, and maybe a high amount of ram depending if you hate seeing your memory usage go above 50%,

well so far a quadro 4000 is great. have one too it has been great for me.