ProStar laptop has flaw in Mobility ATI Radeon 750

DukenukemX

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
I have read the review from Toms Hardware about the Mobility Radeon 7500 ability to use hardware acceleration to save battery life in DVD playback. I bought a Prostar 5684 that has a mobility Radeon 7500 and when I play back DVD video with hardware acceleration on I get greens dots. I did this in PowerDVD XP and ATI's DVD software. So I sent my notebook to Prostar for them to fix it.

They recieved my notebook on October 23 and were trying to see if they could see my problem. They saw the green dots when using hardware acceleration with PowerDVD XP. They called me and told me they put my hard drive in other 5684 laptops and still got the green dots. So they said they will call me back when they do more testing.

Today they called me back and told me that all their ProStar 5684 laptops have this problem but they believe it's not a defect but they just built it like that.

I was told that I could either exchange my laptop for a 5654 with a Radeon 9000 chip or get a refund. The catch is that if I get the 5654 I need to pay the difference which is not fair and if I get a refund I pay a 15% restocking fee.

I was angry and told them why do I have to pay for your defect?! They told me it's not a defect but the way they built it. I know they are trying to cover up so they don't need to do a recall for the 5694 but what can I do?

If I return the laptop I get $1300 instead of the $1600 I paid for. If I get the 5654 I will need to pay for the difference. They claim that they don't support hardware DVD playback and that I'm the first one to call for such a feature.

Can I call the Better Business Bureau and make them sorry or do I suck it up and deal with it and pay. I believe their claims are to just cover up a reason to do a recall. Your not suppose to see Green dots when you play DVD's. It happens in PowerDVD XP and ATI DVD. They won't admit it and I'm stuck. What can I do?

Ohh and this is my laptop. http://secure.pro-star.com/index.cf...tail&model=5684

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah it sucks that they do not support dvd hardware acceleration BUT you have a great opertunity to get your hands on an AWESOME Radeon 9000. I've got a 7500 that runs about 4800 3dmarks but Bill's 9000 gets 7135 3dmarks and doesn't skip any tests. Also it was discussed that all manufactures might not support all the features of the chip so and lastly you should not have purchased the 5684 if battery live was your main concern.

I'll tell you what, you get the 9000 and pay the difference (assuming it is a reasonable amount) and I'll trade you laptops and pay you the difference you paid. If you are interested let me know how much the difference is and we can work something out. I've got a 2GHz Sager 5620 (same thing as a prostar/alienware/vision/clevo) with a 7500.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

DukenukemX

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
No thats ok but thanks for the offer. I'll just get back my old laptop. I found out that other laptops like Sager have the same problem. Maybe they don't support it so I guess I'll just get my old one back.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry my offer was stupid. I was thinking you had to pay 15% to get your machine back and that I would be saving you 15%. You don't gotta pay anything to get your system back, you only gotta pay if you want cash back. I knew all that before I posted but somehow spaced it.

The 9000 is really nice!! I hate Bill for buying something so much better so soon after I bought mine. We do this to each other all the time. He had a 166M so I got a 400M = 166M*2.5 then he got a 1000M = 400M *2.5. Well I couldn't wait for a 2.5G so I got a 2G = 1G * 2 with a 7500 Radeon and now he already has a 2.8 with a 9000 Radeon. Aarrggggghh!!!

DukenukemX

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
I just got mine 2 months ago and it blows my mind since my old IBM A21m laptop was lucky to run Halflife and it did at a crap ass speed. This thing gets a 3Dmark score of 4800 easy. I just hope it's enough to play Doom 3. To bad I didn't wait for the 9000. If I had known that ATI was releasing the mobility 9000 I would have never got the 7500 based laptop. I just told them to give me back my laptop. Now they tell me my HD has bad sectors and all my data was lost. I think they erased my HD on purpose.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm getting mine back today. It had a bad MB. I was smart (for once) and didn't send them my HD. They can't erase what they ain't got!