Win 7 64-bit on Vista 32-bit?

stockz

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Hey, I have recently upgraded my ram and am looking at getting windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of it. The problem is that I am currently using windows vista 3 bit home premium and when I try to install windows 7 from the Windows 7 7100 download file I get the following error:

"This version of the file is not compatible with the Windows it is being executed on. According to your computer's system properties determine which version of the software you need x86(32bit) or x64(64bit) then contact the software developer."

From what I have been able to find figure out I need to do a clean install or a dual boot. I’m not sure which one I have to do in order to install windows 7 or how to even go about doing either one. Could anyone point me to a guide to walk me through the steps of getting windows 7 working on my system?

Windows 7 rc1 needs a clean install. Download the iso image and burn it to a dvd.
Boot from the dvd and go on from there.

Even with vista, you can't do an upgrade to a 64 bit system while running it on a 32 bit system.

If you have a spare hard drive, Install it there. Avoid the dual boot complications if you can.

Naveronasis

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Actually...

I got basic Vista 64 to upgrade to 7 64... but there was so much trash data from Vista i eventually formated and did a fresh install............

So it can be done... I would highly reccomend you dont though.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You misunderstood him naveronasis. He said you can't do an upgrade from a 32bit to 64 bit. Which is why the op is getting the error. Like geofelt said you got to do a completely fresh install. As far as dual boots, I have had no problems with vista, and win 7.

And it's simply as easy as burning the dvd, setting bios to pick up cd first, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Your response was upgrading Vista x64 to 7 x64... This is neither relevant to the question at hand, nor to the post you say you were responding to.

For the OP:

The best way to do what you want is to:

(1) Buy another hard drive. Mount it and format it.

(2) Pop into the Bios and set your boot options with your optical drive as the first in line.

(3) Shut down, unplug, and disconnect the original drive (Vista x32)

(4) Boot to the Windows 7 installation disc and follow the instructions

** After you are satisfied that Win 7 is in running properly (drivers are updated/installed, basic programs, etc)

(5) Shut Down, unplug the power, and reconnect your original HDD

(6) Boot to the Win 7 Installation DVD a second time - Click 'Install'

(7) On the second screen, in the lower left hand corner - Select the "Repair" option
(7a) Win7 will scan the system, and tell you it found an error.
(7b) Select Repair/OK

(8) Once this has completed, on startup you will be presented with the option to boot to either Vista 32 or Windows 7.

G

stockz,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your instal of W7. What you're going to need to do is restart and do a clean install while booting from the disc itself.

If you have any further issues, the best site for all the up to date news on the product is found at the Windows 7 support forum, at micorsoft.com/springboard. The site will also give you all sorts of useful information, such as the “what’s new in the RC” feed….or you can also you use talkingaboutwindows.com as an additional resource
Thanks,

v-glferg@microsoft.com

gcdavis

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
(6) Boot to the Win 7 Installation DVD a second time - Click 'Install'

(7) On the second screen, in the lower left hand corner - Select the "Repair" option
(7a) Win7 will scan the system, and tell you it found an error.
(7b) Select Repair/OK

Why is this part necessary?

indigo02

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I am stuck with this problem too. I have vista home premium 32 bit. I can run 64 bit so I bought the windows 7 upgrade 64 bit. I downloaded the exe files which won't open. i don't have and spare dvd's so I downloaded the iso and ran windows iso burner onto a flash drive. I set it as the boot drive, but it defaults back to vista. I need help