Windows 8 better or worse than Windows 7?

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I have played with consumer preview at my shop pretty much since it was released. Honestly, I do appreciate the fact that microsoft is trying to move forward from just putting a new face on basically the same old thing. Although, they basically just put a new face on the same on thing LOL. But since i have been playing with it, it hasn't given me any troubles. it seems to run nicely. I do like the new task manager simply for the fact that it shows disk usage, and i also like the microsoft office 07/10 options bar at the top of every explorer window, although i havent really needed it much, it is there incase the need ever arises. But my home machine, its keeping 7 ult. for a loooong time.

underlieing Technology wise it is better and faster... Buuut functionaly it is very annoying and to me cludgy and designed for dumb people AKA "Oh look everything I need is on the start page i will never actually see the desktop ever again yay" I believe this release will be a fiasco and MS will have to backtrack .. What do I expect, every other OS they come out with seems to be a train reck then they try and fix it... But if we can learn anything I bet metro is here to stay I mean Windows 7 is Vista fixed but look how simaler they are same features ect. I just want my start button back and I can work with/Ignore Metro.

Thent

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
People are overreacting on Windows 8. Yes it's different, but that doesn't mean it's worse. It takes a little getting used to if you used a different OS before, but that's the case with all new things, normally. Sure Windows 95 till 7 got the same GUI, basically. But trying something a little new isn't bad in days of touchscreens everywhere, even desktops have them...

What will matter will be real live performance (speed, stability) compared to Windows 7 and other OS and you can't tell much about those factors, yet.

However, with all those whiny comments going on I'd include an off-switch for the Metro UI parts of Windows 8, if I were Microsoft. Seems like people would have preferred just another Windows with the same look. :p

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Win8 is pretty cool. There are a bunch of people over reacting to the changes. It takes a short bit to get used to the changes. But there is more good than bad. Plus beta is the only available version. I'm sure the actual release will have needed improvements. I suggest hooking up a second HDD and trying it out. Give it an honest try for about a week or more and you will see that there are alot of cool features. And don't get caught up in all the complaining. It's like listening to everyone gossip about someone you've never met and then finally meeting the person and actually likeing them :)

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I at first didn't like windows 8, but after you start dealing with it, 8 is not bad, just different. It's not too different if you install Start 8 which gives you a Start Button, and your metro screen inside of a little window. I think though they need to give people a classic Windows 7 desktop option, otherwise there are going to be a lot of confused users. On the other hand, that's good for us techies lol.

Boot time fast. As far as metro, if I wanted an Ipad "feel" I'd get an Ipad - O I have one.
I could care less what it looks like, I just like functionality, I still use Dos on occassion

Had to remove win 8, It kept messing up my 2nd drive with Win 7 on it.

Win 7 was not really a new OS, it was Vista with a major Service pac, But MS had to get rid of "Vista" term.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I believe Win 8 is going to be the real deal. MS simply had to take Windows into a new era or one day we would wake up to find the world ruled by Apple. I have Win 7. I abandoned XP a long time ago for Vista and then I went to Win 7 Release Candidate and I have never looked back. When Win 8 comes out I am upgrading for sure. I have tried it out and I was impressed. I cant wait to see how it runs on multi screen Rigs. I ran it on my single screen second Rig so I haven't had a chance to check that out yet.

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I really didn't care too much for the Metro interface. I prefer the simple clicking motion. A start menu would be nice, too. The GUI looks too unorganized and cluttered. Other than that, it's pretty much the same operating system. Windows 8 "may possibly" run into release issues, so when it launches, I will wait a few months to buy it until they can come out with Service Pack 1.

kdickinson87

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Here's what I'm thinking. Windows has a good rep about every other os being good. Ever since I really started using computers. For instance,

98 - Bad
98se - Good
ME - Bad
XP - Good
Vista - Bad
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - So far, from what I've seen, I'm leaning toward the "bad" category. No start button, the awkward tablet side arm called metro, among other things, makes me think I will be waiting until windows 9, or whatever it will be called.

robertnewton

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Personally from using it a little bit and from what i've heard, there aren't really any features about Windows 8 so far that makes it worth purchasing. I love Windows 7, it's excellent and I don't see a reason to spend money on Windows 8 yet.

treeSkwerral

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
For anyone saying "even desktops are moving to touchscreens" has never actually HAD a digitizer on their monitor. You end up pushing too much and your monitor slides all around your desk, gets finger prints all over it to the point you have to wipe it daily just to have a clean monitor. How often do you see people wipe their phone off so it's clean and easy to read? Now think...do you HONESTLY think people want to do that all the time to a monitor that is 22" or bigger vs a 4" screen?

I think Windows 8 is MS getting lazy and trying to port WinPhone over to the PC so they can release a new version without having to put an extra department into labor on something new just to save money (gotta love the new corporatism that has risen in the past 4-5 years since the economy dropped and fell apart).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251820/exmicrosoft_employee_launches_fixing_windows_8_campaign.html

awesome W8 video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v4boTbv9_nU

I used Windows 8 CP...

I hate Metro. I absolutely hate it. I have a 27" monitor and they want me to completely change how I navigate my computer?

I appreciate trying to make changes but:

a) a 27" non-touchscreen shouldn't be treated like a 7" tablet

b) they should at LEAST have provided the option of a Windows 7 interface

The bottom line is if you're in the market for a new PC I'd get Windows 7. In a year maybe things will be different and things will be improved.

To me Win8 is Win7 dumbed down for touch screens. It will not let me run my screen in native resolution which is 1280x1024 @75hz. When it try to set it to this it says "resolution not supported"
XP and Win7 support it fine.
And am I suppose to have Icons all over my screen so that I can access all of my programs?
It appears they are trying to hide all of the configuration settings. Your only option is to run their "wizzards" or it just dosent work.
Maybe I'm getting old and just set in my ways.