Sign in with
Your question

Help a noob finish his first ever build

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2012 10:29:17 PM

Okay basically, Im very new to this and I've jumped in head first as they would say, I basically ask for your expertise to insure my build is correct.

The List so far:
CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: gigabyte 7870 oc 2gb
RAM: 2x Kingston hyperX 4GB 1600mhz
HDD: Samsung F3 1T 7200rpm
Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme4
Case: Cit vantage type-R gaming case

Now being the noob that I am could you make sure those are compatible, possibly what psu I will need because I don't have a clue and apart from a dick drive what other parts do I need. P.S If items can be improved for little or less please let me know. Thankyou

More about : noob finish build

September 13, 2012 10:55:12 PM

I would go to Newegg or Amazon and look for 600 watt PSU. I wouldn't recommend getting the cheapest, look at what is most popular or highest reviewed. OCZ I've had good luck with
Related resources
September 14, 2012 6:21:07 AM

Okay I will do that I'm not over locking maybe in the future so that's good thankyou, also cheaper :pt1cable:  ty for the replies, can anyone assure this will run fine I'm scared haha
September 14, 2012 6:22:29 AM

You're good to go.
September 14, 2012 2:09:33 PM

Just to be 100% sure before you order. Send us the links :)  that way we can verify everything's compatible. :D  but looks good. Enjoy your first build.
September 14, 2012 2:34:35 PM

Bensinthejam said:
Okay basically, Im very new to this and I've jumped in head first as they would say, I basically ask for your expertise to insure my build is correct.

The List so far:
CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: gigabyte 7870 oc 2gb
RAM: 2x Kingston hyperX 4GB 1600mhz
HDD: Samsung F3 1T 7200rpm
Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme4
Case: Cit vantage type-R gaming case

Now being the noob that I am could you make sure those are compatible, possibly what psu I will need because I don't have a clue and apart from a dick drive what other parts do I need. P.S If items can be improved for little or less please let me know. Thankyou

I would change the 2500k for a 3570k, get more RAM if you can afford it, and get a XFX 500w or 550w core edition (550w if you can but 500w or 450w would suffice)

AND IF YOU OVERCLOCK get the hyper evo 212+
September 14, 2012 3:27:25 PM

I would go for the i5-3450 (i think thats the number) if you don't plan to OC, you don't need a K edition, it's probably around same price and a slight bit faster.

I couldn't find your case, so i'll recommend you try searching newegg for the 'most reviewed', the cases with 1000's of reviews are mostly pretty good ones.

I wouldn't go with an OCZ PSU (or rather, I wouldn't trust them without a good review from jonnyguru. Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, PC Power & Cooling are some of the standout brands. If you don't plan on adding a second GPU for Crossfire, you'll be fine with a good 500W PSU (don't trust anything with a regular retail price under 40$, generally speaking). Beware cheap/junk PSUs they can damage your components if you get unlucky.

I think you have a 2x4GB set of RAM, correct? If that's the case, ignore the more ram comments people have made. 8GB is plenty, I would assume those that recommended more RAM thought you had only 4GB (which is still ok, but generally 8GB is cheap enough that it's worth getting), it's written a little funny :) .

A few recommendations for PSUs for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
^ This is a great PSU
^ This is still a good supply, but a little less power and a little lower tier design.
^ This guy should be good, and is modular, but maybe worth checking johhnyguru/hardware secrets for reviews. It's a good brand, just not sure where the model lands (I would expect it to be better than the Corsair CX500, but don't know). Also it's white, which is weird.
September 14, 2012 3:30:17 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hqmA

this is what i would go with, i couldnt find that case so i picked a rather cheap one, easily switched out but i would start from there.

Total (before mail-in rebates): $807.49
Mail-in Rebates: $-35.00
Total: $772.49
September 14, 2012 3:33:04 PM

djscribbles said:
I would go for the i5-3450 (i think thats the number) if you don't plan to OC, you don't need a K edition, it's probably around same price and a slight bit faster.

I agree with the rest of your post. But i would stick with the 3570k. It's his first build and im sure once it's together it's going to fuel his desire to do more and more and eventually hes going to say I want to try OC'ng lol. Don't limit yourself.

My opinion :)  and respecting DjScribbles if your 100% sure there's no chance you want to try oc'ng in the future OP then go with the 3450.
!