Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Which AMD Radeon 7970 should I get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 26, 2012 7:07:34 AM

I am building a new system and the 7970 I was going to get has been deactivated. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Not sure if it will come back, but if it doesn't by the time I get my system I want to have something else that would do the job lol.

Choices (not in any specific order)

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My mobo can support 3 slot cards (I know these are two slot cards but the SAPPHIRE on takes up 3 with its cooler)
I will be overclocking a small amount so I wanted a non-reference design.

Which one do you think would be worth it? (with performance, heat, accessories, and price)

Do you have any other suggestions on the better card to get? (Do not sat 670/680 as I have been told by many people that the 7970 works better for editing with Adobe After Effects)

Thanks in advance!

More about : amd radeon 7970

Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 7:33:32 AM
Share

Hi

Well for start I would ignore the HIS and the POWERCOLOUR ones as Sapphire and Gigabyte are by far best brands and manufacturers and are more valuable solutions. Comparing the latter, the main difference is the cooling of the cards. The Sapphire has 2 cooling fans the Gigabyte has 3. 3 is bigger than 2 but as you are not overclocking too much, 2 fans will do their job. The reason I would stick to the Sapphire one is because it has greater effective memory clock, and offers a few more features and 20 bucks is not that much expensive!

Hope this helps!
July 26, 2012 7:42:14 AM

Gate9er said:
Hi

Well for start I would ignore the HIS and the POWERCOLOUR ones as Sapphire and Gigabyte are by far best brands and manufacturers and are more valuable solutions. Comparing the latter, the main difference is the cooling of the cards. The Sapphire has 2 cooling fans the Gigabyte has 3. 3 is bigger than 2 but as you are not overclocking too much, 2 fans will do their job. The reason I would stick to the Sapphire one is because it has greater effective memory clock, and offers a few more features and 20 bucks is not that much expensive!

Hope this helps!

That is very helpful! I also like the sapphire one because it comes with so many adapters and little things that make a big difference to me :D 

Do you think two of those would heat up too much in Xfire? it would be on the Maximus V Formula Board so there should be some space in between but I just want to be sure!
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 7:52:00 AM

DoubleJukeFTW said:
That is very helpful! I also like the sapphire one because it comes with so many adapters and little things that make a big difference to me :D 

Do you think two of those would heat up too much in Xfire? it would be on the Maximus V Formula Board so there should be some space in between but I just want to be sure!


No it will not. I was running two gtx260's in sli config. and my rig was running like a sweet. Make sure your case has sufficient cooling though and control your overclocking!

Thanks!
July 26, 2012 7:56:10 AM

Gate9er said:
No it will not. I was running two gtx260's in sli config. and my rig was running like a sweet. Make sure your case has sufficient cooling though and control your overclocking!

Thanks!

haha, I think it should. It's a HAF X 942 with the 1x230mm megaflow fan, 3x200mm megaflow fans, and 1 corsair 140mm quiet edition. I think it should work
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 7:59:28 AM

Then you are good to go

Thanks!

July 26, 2012 8:01:44 AM

Best answer selected by DoubleJukeFTW.
July 26, 2012 8:43:48 AM

I see you have your answer but for brands; XFX, Sapphire (Toxic), MSI Twinfrozr/Lightning and ASUS Direct CU are the best brands to go for.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 11:25:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!