Closed Solved

Phenom II x4 965 not for 32-bit Win 7 OS?

I am planning to upgrade my AMD Athlon II x2 to a Phenom II x4 965. I have a 32-bit Win 7 OS right now. And I have a A780L Biostar Motherboard. I have read that Phenom II x4 are 64-bit.

Does this mean I have to change the 32-bit Win 7 OS to a 64-bit one?

Plus, how much does it differ from the Pheonom II x4 965Black Edition?

Thank you
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom
  1. No you don't. 64bit processors mean that it can handle 64bit operating systems.
  2. It doesn't mean you have to change your OS, but you should, because 64-bit OS works better than 32bits. The 32bit OS is better for older computers.
  3. Best answer
    You don't have to install 64 bit OS. It will work fine with 32bit

But would be preferable to install 64 bit.
  4. I have an A780L Biostar MoBo, I believe its AM2 which supports DDR2 RAM. How much would it differ form the 64-bit OS? I want to play AC3 but there are issues on its specs.
  5. And as much as possible, I wish to avoid changing to 64-bit OS. I have 32-bit DLL files that somehow run slow on 64-bit OS. Thanks for your answers.
  6. Sentoryu said:
    I have an A780L Biostar MoBo, I believe its AM2 which supports DDR2 RAM. How much would it differ form the 64-bit OS? I want to play AC3 but there are issues on its specs.

Hang on, the Phenom 965 is an AM3 CPU. If your mobo is AM2 then it won't support the Phenom CPU. Therefore it won't work.

64 Bit OS is not an issue here, only install 64 Bit OS if you have more than 4GB RAM
  7. Best answer selected by Sentoryu.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Phenom