Solved

$8000 workstations for broadcast motion graphics

Well guys. I work at the brazilian senate TV, and i'm fighting for a new workstation build since 2010...

Purchase Date: If everything goes well, next month.
Budget Range: $8000 each of the 8 workstations (including softwares and peripherals).
System Usage: broadcast motion graphics.
Are you buying a monitor: Yes.
Do you need to buy OS: Yes.
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia Quadro.
Overclocking: No.
SLI or Crossfire: Preferably no.
Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 1200
Additional Comments: Low power and quiet. Need a broadcast monitor on the budget.
Why Are You Upgrading: We're still working on Dell Precision 670 workstations. Obsolete.

My build so far:
Mobo: Asus P9X79 WS
CPU: Single Intel E5-2650L
Monitor: Dell U2410
Graphics cards: Nvidia Quadro 4000 and
Reference monitor: Panasonic BT-L1500PJ

Need:
1. 4x 8gb DDR3 ECC RAM.
2. Primary SSD 1/2TB sata-600.
3. two secondary HD 2TB sata-600.
4. A fine, discreet case.

Observations:
1. Since is a public purchase, i can't define the exact parts, only specify the needs.
2. The monitor has to be 12 bit with full sRGB gammut.
3. All parts need to be internal.
4. The decklink card is for SDI SD/HD output, as well as analogic output (we still use a Betacam SP deck sometimes...)
5. I don't have room for 3 monitors.
6. 2 gigabit ethernet is a need.
7. System must be Windows (we work with 3d max).

Edit: Links working.

Edit 2: Here are the actual specs i'm working with:

computer monitor
Dimensions: 24'', widescreen (16:10)
Screen tech: LCD TFT IPS with backlit LED or CCFL
Inputs: 1 Displayport and 1 DVI-I
Internal processing: 12 bits
Stand: desktop (no rack), height-Adjustable stand,tilt, swivel and pivot
Color support: 1,07 billion colors; 100% sRGB, at least 96% AdobeRGB
Native resolution: 1900px x 1200px, at 60hz

workstation tower
broadcast video output: SDI SD/HD, composite video (YPBPR) BNC 1.0Vp-p, 75 ohms with sync
GPU: 256 bits interface; 2GB GDDR5 buffer; 120GB/s bandwidth; support for OpenGL 4.1 and DirectX 11
audio output: analogic stereo, XLR 3-pin; P2 stereo; S/PDIF
video output: DVI-I; Displayport
audio processing: 7.1 channels; 119dB DAC, 104dB ADC
network: 2 Ethernet Gigabit (100/1000 Mbps) ports
CPU: 8 cores, 16 threads; 20Mb L3 cache; 2 QPI links, 8GT/s; max TDP 70W, ECC support
memory: 32Gb RAM (4 x 8Gb) DDR3 ECC on 1333MHz (is timing and voltage crucial?)
Primary storage: SSD 512Gb SATA-600
Secondary storage: 2 x 2TB HD SATA-600, 64mb cache

....aaand with these specs I should be able to get the parts i'm aiming for.
as always, sorry for my lame english.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8000 workstations broadcast motion graphics
  1. For starters, are these systems going to be rack mounted or are they going to be stand alone? You could build a 4U or a 6U workstation based around dual Xeon E5's but that would require a way different setup than what you're probably used to.

edit: None of your links work, and for Brazil Newegg doesn't ship there, you will want to use a store that ships locally. If you do not know of one check the link in my signature or use your own.
  2. give me a sec.

Edit: actually no... i will make you something great tomorrow, i am kinda busy right now but i am interested in building these workstations..
  3. g-unit1111,
    They're stand alone. And why the dual Xeon? Would it be more cost-effective to have, say, dual e5-2620?
    Since this is a public specifitation, the workstation can only be bought close-mounted, with warranty and all service. The links are only for reference.
    I'm updating the main post with the actual specifications i'm working with. thanks!
  4. ysbrasil said:
    g-unit1111,
    They're stand alone. And why the dual Xeon? Would it be more cost-effective to have, say, dual e5-2620?
    Since this is a public specifitation, the workstation can only be bought close-mounted, with warranty and all service. The links are only for reference.
    I'm updating the main post with the actual specifications i'm working with. thanks!

The E5-2620 is a Xeon-based CPU.

So you can only buy the systems if they're closed and include all the warranties and maintenance. So that pretty much rules out building them yourself, correct?

If so can you post a link to where you're going to buy the systems from? That will help to be able to suggest a system.
  5. g-unit1111,

Yes, we can only buy a closed workstation. And we can't specify the supplier. The buying system is by open tender (licitation auction. Is that understandable in english?).
    On the other hand, many sellers are able to mount the custom system for us, so there's no point in posting a link.
    What is essencial is that the system we specify is the most cost-effective.

I'll try to make the questions more objective:

1-Wich is better for me: dual or single CPU? (single e5-2650 | dual e5-2620)?

2-What is crucial when specifying RAM? Can i use 1600Mhz without overclock or other modifications?

3-What is crucial when specifying SSD and HDD? Can i use two 2tb HDD with safety? What else besides: capacity, rotational speed, buffer, interface (sata-600)?

Thanks,
    Leonardo
  6. Best answer
    if you're rendering in real time, the dual E5-2620 is a good idea.
    RAM -- get ECC ram, 1600 should be fine.

for SSD/HDD I'd suggest at least a pair of SSDs: a 90 or 128 GB boot drive, a 240 GB 'scratch' drive for the files you'll be working with, and then a pair of 2 TB drives for storage of what you're done with.

get at least one top-flight workstation card. a pair of AMD W8000s in crossfire would probly be the most cost-effective solution (they run about $1450 a piece on NEwegg, vs $3300 for the W9000
  7. Hi ScrewySqrl,

Thanks for the help!

-I will rarely need to render real time. But still, two e5-2620 is cheaper than one e5-2650. Each 2620 will have less cache, but i would end with 12 cores / 24 threads, instead of the 8 / 16 of the 2650. So... Is it better having dual 2620 anyway?

-I'll make sure the RAM is 1600 ECC then.

I- thought about having a bigger SSD (around 1/2 Tb) and make a partition. And use 2 2Tb HDs for storage.

-And about the GPU. I have a tendency to stick to Quadro. But i still don't know if OpenCL is gaining ground on CUDA. The processing power (gflops) of the new Firepro's seems like a great advantage.
  8. ysbrasil said:
    Hi ScrewySqrl,

Thanks for the help!

-I will rarely need to render real time. But still, two e5-2620 is cheaper than one e5-2650. Each 2620 will have less cache, but i would end with 12 cores / 24 threads, instead of the 8 / 16 of the 2650. So... Is it better having dual 2620 anyway?

-I'll make sure the RAM is 1600 ECC then.

I- thought about having a bigger SSD (around 1/2 Tb) and make a partition. And use 2 2Tb HDs for storage.

-And about the GPU. I have a tendency to stick to Quadro. But i still don't know if OpenCL is gaining ground on CUDA. The processing power (gflops) of the new Firepro's seems like a great advantage.

The new Quaddros are out and they're based on NVIDIA's excellent Keppler platform (GTX 670) and use I believe the GK109 processor. Check it out: http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-k5000.html
  9. Wow, pretty interesting the K5000. The power consumption is very low.
    Sadly, it is way out of budget (it will be around $2250, right?).

I still have this question:
    Wich is better for me: dual or single CPU? (single e5-2650 | dual e5-2620)?
  10. It might be safe to say, if you don't know if you need dual socket cpus, you probably don't.
  11. Din65:
    I agree. And dual socket is not my primary choice (as seen on the main post). Still...:

2620: More cores and threads. Cheaper. Double RAM slot.
    2650: higher L3 cache. Cheaper, smaller mobo. 1600Mhz RAM.

Am I missing something big?
    I may be too newbie on the matter.I just can't tell wich is more effective on a motion graphics workstation.
  12. Best answer selected by ysbrasil.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Workstations Monitors Systems Product