Sign in with
Your question

ITX gaming case options?

Last response: in Components
January 28, 2013 5:23:37 AM

Been reading these forums for a while but never signed up. First post, so hey! xD

So I just want to start off by saying that my previous 3 systems, dating back to about 2004, have been built out of Shuttle computers. I built my first one when I was 15 and enjoyed the small foot print, so I stuck with them. Now, do to the ITX systems being more flexible, I've decided to build one.

That being said, I have no idea where to start with a case. I was looking at the Bit Fenix Prodigy, but it appears the black version is all but sold out in America. I've seen a lot of positive reviews on the Cooler Master Elite 120 as well, but am hesitant to use a case where I will need a lower profile heat sink.

Anyways, I'm posting here to try and get some other options. I'm trying not to spend too much, but am also willing to pay for a quality case. If I were reading this, I would be asking for as much information as possible, so here you go. While this is not set in stone, it'll give you an idea :

- Needs to support long cards. Will most likely be using a 7850 or 7870.

- Needs multiple drive options. I plan on at least 1x SSD, and 2x HDD. I download a lot and will also be using this for a media pc.

- Prefer something that can house a decent heat sink. Will most likely be putting an i5 in this system.

Sooo, what other options do I have for a decent ITX case?
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2013 2:03:47 PM

Id just wait and get the Bitfenix Prodigy. Try buying it from a different site like Amazon.com or Tigerdirect.com instead of just checking out Newegg.com

If you take of the first drive cage, you will have plenty of room for long graphics cards, even a GTX 690.

It has really good airflow aswell.

If you take out that first drive cage to fit the graphics card, you will have space for 2 HDD's and you can mount an SSD on top of the cage. so its just right for you.

It has a width of 9.84'' which is 249mm so it should fit most tower coolers aswell like the Hyper 212 EVO. But you can also go for a low profile cooler like the Noctua NH-C14. If you do do for a low profile cooler, then make sure that you have low profile RAM.
m
l
January 29, 2013 4:51:20 PM

I did locate a site with the white prodigy that also has a clear side panel window, which I like, and includes the 200mm fan as well for $129.00. Since the fan is $20.00 anyways I figured I would pick that up.

Now I'm just having trouble finding a motherboard that doesn't cost $150+ that will support the 212 EVO that I already have.

I remember shopping stuff like this used to be fun for me. lol -,-
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2013 8:34:17 AM

Im assuming that you have an Intel CPU.

The best one out there is The Asus P8Z77-I-Deluxe. Good you overclocking and a solid board overall. It has a better I/O and better Wifi.

Its $30 over your price range, but if you do overclock id buy that if i were you.

If you want to go to the $150 and lower, there are 2 options.
1. Asrock Z77-E-ITX. It has a wifi module but its basic and the lack of USB 3.0 ports may be an issue... I think this is $150 or a but higher.

2.MSI Z77IA-E53. Its a more basic motherboard so you may not get that great of an overclock but it will do the job. This too has only 2 USB 3.0 port. This too has Wifi aswell.

Request: It would be better if you could tell me your full computer specs...
m
l
!