Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why is my computer so laggy?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 14, 2012 1:31:33 AM

Computer Specs:
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Studio XPS 435T
Rating: 5.0 Windows Experience Index
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @2.67GHz 2.67GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 18.0 GB (16.0 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

and i have 700 GB drive with all my games on it
but a 600 GB drive with everything else on it, its mostly empty

I got Dead Rising 2 the other day and i have to run it on custom every thing on low. and it still lags :/  not that bad but a half second lag kills me alot... not just me but my follower too :/ .

and its not just Dead Rising 2 its almost every game i have:
Age of Conan
Age of Mythology
Allods Online
Anarchy Online
Arcania Gothic 4
Bastion
Battle for Middle Earth 2
Bioshock 1 and 2
Black and White 2
BlackLight Retribution
Blades of Time
Brink
C9
Cabal
Civilization V
Combat Arms
Darkblood
Dead Island
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2 Off the Record
Demigod
Divina
Divinity II
Dragon Age 1 and 2
Dungeon Defenders
Fable lost chapters
Fable 3
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
FATE 1, 2, 3, 4
Flyff
Freejack
Geneforge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Halo 2
Heat Online
LOCO
Mabinogi
Maestia
Mercenaries II
Need for Speed World
Oblivion
Orcs Must Die!
Overlord 1 and 2
Perfect World
Portal 1 and 2
Prototype
RollerCoaster Tycoon 1, 2, and 3
Rosh
Saga
Saints Row The Third
Skyrim
Spore
Super MNC
Supreme Commander 1 and 2
Sword 2
The Darkness 2

all lag a little, some like crazy!

im a gamer and its killing me (its making me wanna quit games:/)
please help!!! any info or suggestions, even if not helpful, will be appreciated dearly :)  thanks

More about : computer laggy

a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 1:35:23 AM

you have that many games?????????? wow.... i barely have BF3, Metro 2033, crysis 2 and MW3

anyways.... your CPU is still a strong one and you should see an improvement if you disable HT and OC it a bit (4Ghz) and what GPU do you have??? and how do you have 18GB of RAM?
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 1:38:01 AM

added info ---
i have the Nvidia Geforce 310 graphics card
m
0
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 1:41:14 AM

idroid said:
you have that many games?????????? wow.... i barely have BF3, Metro 2033, crysis 2 and MW3

anyways.... your CPU is still a strong one and you should see an improvement if you disable HT and OC it a bit (4Ghz) and what GPU do you have??? and how do you have 18GB of RAM?

i have 6 ram card slots and have 4 4GB cards and 2 1GB cards
and idk what u mean by disable HT and OC it a bit (4Ghz) and GPU, idk any of that lol
care to explain to a novice at best (me) XD?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 1:46:17 AM

professornibbles said:
added info ---
i have the Nvidia Geforce 310 graphics card


That's the problem, it SUCKS!!! get something like a 7870/7950/GTX660ti.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 1:47:00 AM

idroid said:
That's the problem, it SUCKS!!! get something like a 7870/7950/GTX660ti.

any other tips? im low on cash at the moment so.... lol
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 1:48:04 AM

professornibbles said:
i have 6 ram card slots and have 4 4GB cards and 2 1GB cards
and idk what u mean by disable HT and OC it a bit (4Ghz) and GPU, idk any of that lol
care to explain to a novice at best (me) XD?


HT= Hyper threading, go to the bios and disable it and if you have a good CPU cooler you can overclock your CPU to about 4GHz using the guides on-line.... you should replace the so called "GPU" you have, it sucks.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 1:50:50 AM

professornibbles said:
any other tips? im low on cash at the moment so.... lol


no... that's about it, how much do you have?
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 1:57:30 AM

idroid said:
HT= Hyper threading, go to the bios and disable it and if you have a good CPU cooler you can overclock your CPU to about 4GHz using the guides on-line.... you should replace the so called "GPU" you have, it sucks.

walk me through the HT disabling?
and mind pointing me to a website? or at least what to look up for the best result? and GPU replacement ill look into it :) 
thanks for all the advice :D 
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:01:51 AM

idroid said:
no... that's about it, how much do you have?

im still in highschool lol, my uncle built my system for me.
my budget is only 75, gotta save the rest for gas and possible dates XD
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 2:06:26 AM

professornibbles said:
walk me through the HT disabling?
and mind pointing me to a website? or at least what to look up for the best result? and GPU replacement ill look into it :) 
thanks for all the advice :D 


Well... the motherboard i have back home has an EUFI bios so i am sure its gonna be very different from a normal bios, try using google :) 

for overclocking i recommend you to read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277215-29-intel-overc...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclockin...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 2:08:36 AM

professornibbles said:
im still in highschool lol, my uncle built my system for me.
my budget is only 75, gotta save the rest for gas and possible dates XD


the fact that you're in high school has nothing to do with having little money... i started to make money when i was 9 in elementary school, i used to ask my dad to buy me playboy magazines and i used to cut the images and sell them for 5$ a piece :na: 
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 3:04:48 AM

idroid said:
the fact that you're in high school has nothing to do with having little money... i started to make money when i was 9 in elementary school, i used to ask my dad to buy me playboy magazines and i used to cut the images and sell them for 5$ a piece :na: 

lol crafty and smart lil raskle you were ey? XD
i need a job, and got free time XD enough to endure laggy games for about two years now XD
im looking for one but im lazy XD
and again i cant thank you enough for all your help :)  your a nice person XD
most people, including me, would of just went on to something that looked more interesting XD
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 3:12:29 AM

i forgot to mention that i open task manager and the game minimizes and i check performance and my computer never uses more than 40% of the CPU and never more than 9 GB of memory. is there a way i could let the game im playing use more memory? or is that like the ultimate gamer question that shall never be answered XD?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 3:36:26 AM

professornibbles said:
lol crafty and smart lil raskle you were ey? XD
i need a job, and got free time XD enough to endure laggy games for about two years now XD
im looking for one but im lazy XD
and again i cant thank you enough for all your help :)  your a nice person XD
most people, including me, would of just went on to something that looked more interesting XD


Yep, my i got that from my father :lol:  just one adivse son (omg i am old) don't be lazy... seriously, i mean that in a good way, and renember to work smart, not hard because who knows... you might end up being like me, i am 28 and more than enough money to retire but i rather keep growing.

i suggest you (from the top of my head) to work as a cashier at some hardware store, not only that will give you experience on the work-field but it will teach the basic things you need to know to take on bigger jobs, specially at your age (16, maybe?)
m
0
l
November 7, 2012 10:50:17 PM

yes lol i am 16, and thanks for the advice :) 
m
0
l
!