Change the default c:program files directory

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
files location?

My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.

I found the following key in the registry

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion

ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files

If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??
1 answer Last reply
More about change default program files directory

    You'll have to uninstall your programs, then reinstall them
    to the new D: drive because a relocation involves updating
    the registry data, associated shortcuts, moving the files and
    folders, and updating entries from the system configuation files.
    You cannot accomplish this without using a third-party program
    or by manually changing a few registry keys

    You can easily move your programs using System Mechanic's
    "Relocate Software" program. You can try it free for 30 days.
    http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/index.cfm

    "System Mechanic's Application Relocater tool is a helpful utility that
    allows you to move an application installed in one place on your system
    to another location on your system, such as a new drive or directory.
    The relocation process involves finding and moving all of the specified
    application's associated elements in order to make the move functionally
    seamless, and allows you to continue using the application as you were before".

    Ref: http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/tool.cfm?tool=96&collection=SM

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "kgslego" wrote:

    | Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
    | files location?
    |
    | My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
    | install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.
    |
    | I found the following key in the registry
    |
    | HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion
    |
    | ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files
    |
    | If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

Configuration Default Microsoft Customization Windows XP