Solved

Using riser to access blocked PCI-e X1 port?

I want to buy 2 6950's for a rig i bought off a friend, but i want to still use my soundblaster card, but the rig i got only has 4 expansion holes, and i was wondering i used a little DIY and engineering, if i could use a riser to put my soundcard somewhere else in the case by slipping by the graphics cards....
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about using riser access blocked port
  1. Maybe you can get one 7950? Save the space...
  2. The thing is, im getting both for $200 total, and i think its a steal
  3. Which motherboard do you have?
    Also, which slot does your graphics card need to use?
  4. I have a alien aurora,
    Intel 975
    Tri-channel 12gb 1600mhz
    IDK the motherboard since i bought it off someone and they didnt tell me which aurora
    it has a pci slot, a pci-e 1x slot
    another pci slot
    and a anothere pci e 1x slot
  5. Verify what slots you have, If you only have two PCI-Ex1 slots and two PCI slots, then you probably won't be able to put in ANY PCI-Ex16 graphic cards. Even if the PCI-Ex1 slots are open-ended, you wouldn't want to run a high-end card in it (let alone two).

-Wolf sends
  6. Im confuzed, why cant i, this guy has already had that running and i dont see how pci x16 isnt for graphics cards
  7. PCI-Ex16 is for graphic cards, but your previous post doesn't mention PCI-Ex16 slots:

Quote:
    IDK the motherboard since i bought it off someone and they didnt tell me which aurora
    it has a pci slot, a pci-e 1x slot
    another pci slot
    and a anothere pci e 1x slot

Nowhere is there mention of a PCI-Ex16 graphics card slot.

-Wolf sends
  8. I messed up, i have two graphics cards slots, and after each on one of those tiny PCI-E x1 slots,
  9. Best answer
    Ok. Big difference.

You could probably use something like this PCI-E Extender Ribbon, but the question now becomes if there is enough clearance beneath the graphics card.

Unfortunately, I don't know that answer.

-Wolf sends

Edit - You should probably make sure what motherboard you have installed in this system. There should be a model number printed somewhere on the motherboard. Find it and let us know.
  10. Haha, thats what i was getting at the hole time, if i could do that.... , i was wondering if they make any of those in right-angle format
  11. Best answer selected by chrispl1.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Do It Yourself PCI Express Systems