dubwolf

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hello,
i have a integrated amd radeon hd 6310 graphics motherboard and amd dual-core pro. e300. this system can play skyrim but on low to medium graphics. i was wondering if replacing my cpu for AMD A8-3870K would work with the motherboard and do u think it would be better for games?

dubwolf

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
its not a laptop thts the thing.its a small desktop. the graphics card is built into the mother board and the mother board has no gpu slotsthts y im tryin to get an apu. because thts the only thing i can upgrade with out having to get a new motherboard. im 16 so i dont have enough money to just buy a new pc.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

what do you mean by "the mother board has no gpu slotsthts"???? it must have atleast one PCI-e x16 slot

dubwolf

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
its a very tiny motherboard. there is no slot tht i can use for a dedicated graphics. but the motherboard has radeon 6310 integrated. i thought if i got the AMD A8-3870K i could at least be able to play games more. but i wasnt sure if the motherboard was compatible with AMD A8-3870K. i honestly dont even no if u could call it a motherboard. its a cunfusing lil thing thts for sure. btw thanks for acknowledging this post.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

it MUST have a PCI-e slot no matter how small it is... give me the model.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Dear lord.... that's a....well, crappy PC you have there, its definitely not suited for gaming but still... it must have a PCI-e x16 slot, like this one:

800px-pci_und_pcie_slots.jpg

andrewcarr

Distinguished
I/O Expansions

Number of Total Expansion Bays 2
Number of External 5.25" Bays 1
Number of 3.5" Bays 1
Number of Total Expansion Slots 2
Number of PCI Express x1 Slots 1
Number of PCI Express x16 Slots 1

Oh how wrong you are. It does have a x16 PCI-e slot. Get a discrete card then. What's your budget?

BTW that is absolutely craptastic. I think you may need a new CPU reguardless.

Also no matter what you upgrade It'll need a new PSU and possibly even a new case. Although you can get a low profile card in there.

dubwolf

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
oh wow i feel stupid its black slot i see. very well hidden at the top of the motherboard. not much room for a good graphics card. do u think i should upgrade the cpu or get a better graphics?. and i no it a piece of crap but its all i could get a the time.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Well... you could get something like a single slot 7750 :S

andrewcarr

Distinguished

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Also go check on the back of the case I'd bet you need a low profile card but if you can fit in a regular slot it would be a bit better.
Also it's possible to upgrade the CPU to a E450 (although how much of an upgrade that actually is, is arguable).

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

no no no no.... AND NO! do not build your PC over-time.... save 1000$ and get all the pieces at the same the time.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Good choice. Start by buying a case and good PSU and putting those parts into it. After that you can look at motherboard and CPU, then GPU. The first things aren't all that important to get togeter but you'll want to get all the others together. You can get a decent setup for about $600 (maybe a bit more).

How long ago did you buy that computer can it still be returned?

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

That's a really bad idea.... he should buy everything at the same time.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Yes he should, and that's best, but if he does have to buy parts in stages it's better than what he has now. Also the case and PSU don't effect much else (as long as PSU is a good one) and he can salvage the optical drive and HDD from his current computer. Then if he got the main parts the CPU, motherboard, GPU and memory he could have a decent computer. He's still buying everything important together as he should (if he really had to he could even reuse the memory from his current computer).