Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What PSU do you need for a single gtx 670

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 26, 2012 2:28:35 PM

Hello,
I was wondering what PSU you need for this card, I have a gtx 560 and I think I have a 700watt power supply already. I don't know for sure because I didnt take off the case. How much you think you need?

More about : psu single gtx 670

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 2:35:55 PM

A quality 650W should be enough. What model is your current one?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 26, 2012 2:36:31 PM

Hi

What are your pc specs?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 26, 2012 2:44:43 PM

Gate9er said:
Hi

What are your pc specs?


i7 processor (quad core) 3.2 ghrz
1 tb HDD
Gtx 560 2 gb vram
16gb ram
700 watt psu (I think)

Not sure what brand it is, it's an ibuypower rig, probably just like a default stock brand.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 26, 2012 2:53:53 PM

Well I think your power supply is sufficient for you rig. 700W psu is a reliable choice and the 670 needs 550W to power up.

Hope this helps!
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 2:55:53 PM

Gate9er said:
Well I think your power supply is sufficient for you rig. 700W psu is a reliable choice and the 670 needs 550W to power up.

Hope this helps!


Yeah, it does, also, I have like a mid-tower i'd say it's not a behemoth like alot of rigs I see, you think I can fit the Gtx 670? Would I get more performance out of 560 2gb's in SLI than one 670?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 2:58:41 PM

In order for us to tell you if your PSU can handle a 670, we need to know the model. Not all PSUs are created equal, and just because its a 700W power supply does not mean that it will provide the needed amperage on the 12v rail(s) to power up a 670.

Open up the case, get the info...profit?
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 2:59:54 PM

You should be ok...but it is hard to say. I doubt ibuypower uses quality parts like that because no one really notices the PSU when they buy them.
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 3:00:53 PM

See I tried to open up the case once, I unscrewed the two screws at the top and tried to slide it off, but it wasn't budging. I know I sound like a newb(which I am), but where does it slide off at. I think there might be four screws.


The system is a beast by the way only payed 1g for it thought it was a steal. Only problem I have with it is like 4 usb ports just stopped working one day.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 3:09:18 PM

bryjoered said:
See I tried to open up the case once, I unscrewed the two screws at the top and tried to slide it off, but it wasn't budging. I know I sound like a newb(which I am), but where does it slide off at. I think there might be four screws.


The system is a beast by the way only payed 1g for it thought it was a steal. Only problem I have with it is like 4 usb ports just stopped working one day.



Yeah likely it does have 4 screws, but if you want to replace the graphics card you are going to have to figure out how to open the case anyway. Finding out the PSU's specs is really the first thing you should do, IMO, so props for asking. Most likely, a 700W PSU should be able to handle it, but, call me a skeptic, but I have seen 750W power supplies with only 400W on the 12v rail...no good.

And by the way, EVGA requires 30A on the 12v rail...thats 360W.
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 3:09:35 PM

Gate9er said:
Well it depends from your case model (if you can, post your case model). Regarding the 670 vs 2x560's as I have read the 670 is much better. For more info read this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276431-11-what-evga...

Thanks!


Thanks for your help, yeah I've also read that SLI cards are power hogs and are only truly necessary if you are using a multiple monitor setup. You can get a 670 for like 300-400 bucks and it will completely obliterate any modern game at max settings.
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 3:13:08 PM

dalmvern said:
Yeah likely it does have 4 screws, but if you want to replace the graphics card you are going to have to figure out how to open the case anyway. Finding out the PSU's specs is really the first thing you should do, IMO, so props for asking. Most likely, a 700W PSU should be able to handle it, but, call me a skeptic, but I have seen 750W power supplies with only 400W on the 12v rail...no good.


Well, I figure it has to be at least pushing out enough wattage to power my current rig, I'm not sure 400w would even be adequate. I'm just really trying to avoid buying a $100 power unit, which is how much it cost for 750w. 750w is the ideal wattage to be absolutely sure from what I understand.

I was thinking of getting Best Buy to install it, I've installed one graphics card before a long time ago and it was simply plugging it in and connecting the cords, but I don't know anything about PCI slots of the current gen. Depends how much geeksquad charges if it's over $50 bucks it's a ripoff
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 3:55:57 PM

bryjoered said:
I was thinking of getting Best Buy to install it, I've installed one graphics card before a long time ago and it was simply plugging it in and connecting the cords, but I don't know anything about PCI slots of the current gen. Depends how much geeksquad charges if it's over $50 bucks it's a ripoff


Dont waste your money having Best Buy do it, its easy, the PCIe x16 is usually the top (closest to CPU) PCIe slot on your motherboard, and you just line it up push it down until it clicks in. Not sure which motherboard you got but they usually have snap down/quick release tabs which helps secure it in place. Then you just have to plug in the power connector and you are done.

I actually just called iBuypower and the technician had no clue so I got him to go look at one and he said there were 4 12v rails with 17 A on each one, but with multi-rail configurations you have crossover between the multiple 12v rails. What it all boils down to is that yes, that power supply will run a 670.
Share
July 26, 2012 5:39:10 PM

dalmvern said:
Dont waste your money having Best Buy do it, its easy, the PCIe x16 is usually the top (closest to CPU) PCIe slot on your motherboard, and you just line it up push it down until it clicks in. Not sure which motherboard you got but they usually have snap down/quick release tabs which helps secure it in place. Then you just have to plug in the power connector and you are done.

I actually just called iBuypower and the technician had no clue so I got him to go look at one and he said there were 4 12v rails with 17 A on each one, but with multi-rail configurations you have crossover between the multiple 12v rails. What it all boils down to is that yes, that power supply will run a 670.


Thanks a lot man, yeah I'm really looking for something that can run Max payne 3 with max settings and I don't even think a 670 can do it, according to nvidia benchmarks only their 690 can.
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 2:00:40 PM

Best answer selected by bryjoered.
m
0
l
!