Change the default c:program files directory

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
files location?

My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.

I found the following key in the registry

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion

ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files

If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

> Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
> files location?
>
> My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
> install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.
>
> I found the following key in the registry
>
> HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion
>
> ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files
>
> If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

In all likelihood, yeah, it'll become the new default, but at the same time,
any reference to any program already installed in C:\Program Files will be
redirected to D:\Program Files...and you'll end up with a busted-ass system.

In short, don't. When you install something, it's not that hard to click
Custom and point to a different folder. I've been doing it since the
concept of a "C:\Program Files" folder was introduced with Win95.

On 8 Aug 2005 13:37:42 -0700, kgslego@yahoo.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
> files location?
>
> My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
> install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.
>
> I found the following key in the registry
>
> HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion
>
> ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files
>
> If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

I agree with Homer on this one. While you can change the dir in the
registry - you will still run into some installers and programs that will
assume C:\Program Files.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User