Change the default c:program files directory

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
files location?

My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.

I found the following key in the registry

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion

ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files

If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??
2 answers Last reply
More about change default program files directory

    > Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
    > files location?
    >
    > My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
    > install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.
    >
    > I found the following key in the registry
    >
    > HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion
    >
    > ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files
    >
    > If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

    In all likelihood, yeah, it'll become the new default, but at the same time,
    any reference to any program already installed in C:\Program Files will be
    redirected to D:\Program Files...and you'll end up with a busted-ass system.

    In short, don't. When you install something, it's not that hard to click
    Custom and point to a different folder. I've been doing it since the
    concept of a "C:\Program Files" folder was introduced with Win95.

    On 8 Aug 2005 13:37:42 -0700, kgslego@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
    > files location?
    >
    > My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
    > install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.
    >
    > I found the following key in the registry
    >
    > HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion
    >
    > ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files
    >
    > If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

    I agree with Homer on this one. While you can change the dir in the
    registry - you will still run into some installers and programs that will
    assume C:\Program Files.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Default Microsoft Customization Windows XP