Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NVIDIA GPU info

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 26, 2012 3:10:34 PM

I want to know is the GeForce GTX 260 meant to replace the 9600gt?

More about : nvidia gpu info

July 26, 2012 3:30:11 PM

Quote:
The GTX 260 is not really a replacement to anything from G80/G92..
The GTS 250 however, is a rebranded 9800GTX+


No i meant is the GTX 260 taking the same place in the geforce 200 series as the 9600gt does in the 9 series?
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 3:55:31 PM

Lazar_99 said:
No i meant is the GTX 260 taking the same place in the geforce 200 series as the 9600gt does in the 9 series?

could very well be..
what you ask is apples to oranges and not a way of estimation.
the differences in architecture and number of lesser to greater models might place it higher or lower in comparison.

be more specific and explain the scenario..
Related resources
July 26, 2012 5:26:28 PM

verbalizer said:
could very well be..
what you ask is apples to oranges and not a way of estimation.
the differences in architecture and number of lesser to greater models might place it higher or lower in comparison.

be more specific and explain the scenario..


Well if the 9600gt is preceded by 8600gt then the 9600gt is succeeded by GTX 260? I meant like that.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 5:29:27 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Well if the 9600gt is preceded by 8600gt then the 9600gt is succeeded by GTX 260? I meant like that.

I know what you meant..

8600 = 9500
9600 = GT 240
9800GT = GTS 250 (and this is where things get different..)
oddball out = GTS 450 (the GTX 260 beats the GTS 450)
GTX 260 = GTX 550Ti
GTX 550Ti < GTX 460's and versions of
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 5:35:17 PM

9800GX2 = GTX 260
July 26, 2012 5:37:30 PM

verbalizer said:
I know what you meant..

8600 = 9500
9600 = GT 240
9800GT = GTS 250 (and this is where things get different..)
oddball out = GTS 450 (the GTX 260 beats the GTS 450)
GTX 260 = GTX 550Ti
GTX 550Ti < GTX 460's and versions of


lol the GTX 550ti is actually a GTX 260, didn't see that coming :D  Well technically its a GTX 260 that supports directx 11
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 5:38:20 PM

Lazar_99 said:
lol the GTX 550ti is actually a GTX 260, didn't see that coming :D  Well technically its a GTX 260 that supports directx 11

:sol: 
July 26, 2012 6:37:13 PM

verbalizer said:
9800GX2 = GTX 260


Hmm you said that GTX 260 is a rebranded 9800GX2, that's a dual GPU card so how can it be a GTX 260 which is a single GPU card
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 6:40:06 PM

Quote:
9800GX2 would be around GTX 275-280 performance.

nope.
HD 5770
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 6:40:30 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Hmm you said that GTX 260 is a rebranded 9800GX2, that's a dual GPU card so how can it be a GTX 260 which is a single GPU card

never said it was a re-branded anything...
the to answer your question the GTX 260 is around performance of the 9800GX2 (dual card).
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 6:43:32 PM

Quote:
Well apparently it does...

I have also owned 2 9800GTX+'s..

that's not a 9800GX2
you know SLi out performs the single GPU match..
example:
SLi 580's beat a GTX 590
July 26, 2012 6:59:07 PM

verbalizer said:
still a little high but I can live with the HD 6850, doesn't come close to GTX 285


You have a HD 6850? Paired with which CPU?
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 7:03:23 PM

Lazar_99 said:
You have a HD 6850? Paired with which CPU?

hell no...
I don't do HD Radeon.

i5-2500K + GTX 580
i5-2500K + SLi N560GTX-Ti Hawks
i5-2400 + N550GTX-Ti Cyclone
i3-2120 + GT 440
980BE + GTS 450 AMP.!
July 26, 2012 7:16:52 PM

verbalizer said:
hell no...
I don't do HD Radeon.

i5-2500K + GTX 580
i5-2500K + SLi N560GTX-Ti Hawks
i5-2400 + N550GTX-Ti Cyclone
i3-2120 + GT 440
980BE + GTS 450 AMP.!


How does your i3-210+ GT 440 rig perform? I had a GT 240 1gb GDDR5 before i got the 6850 and it wasn't so good because i have a slow arse athlon II X3 which performs poorly at stock speeds, OC is too risky for this motherboard and it doesn't support core unlocking. So can you tell me how does that rig work if you tested it?
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 7:20:49 PM

Lazar_99 said:
How does your i3-210+ GT 440 rig perform? I had a GT 240 1gb GDDR5 before i got the 6850 and it wasn't so good because i have a slow arse athlon II X3 which performs poorly at stock speeds, OC is too risky for this motherboard and it doesn't support core unlocking. So can you tell me how does that rig work if you tested it?

well see that unit belongs to my 4.5 year old daughter and it serves her disneyjr.com and nickjr.com without issues.
:sol: 

the GT 240 DDR5 1GB is actually a very good HTPC and descent 16:9 res and lower card.
I have a 512MB version in my parents unit still now.

but when I am on the unit though briefly it's snappy (WD VelociRaptor 10K HDD)
I click and it happens and I'm not waiting for it long enough to complain.
my units are SSD's.
July 26, 2012 7:45:04 PM

verbalizer said:
well see that unit belongs to my 4.5 year old daughter and it serves her disneyjr.com and nickjr.com without issues.
:sol: 

the GT 240 DDR5 1GB is actually a very good HTPC and descent 16:9 res and lower card.
I have a 512MB version in my parents unit still now.

but when I am on the unit though briefly it's snappy (WD VelociRaptor 10K HDD)
I click and it happens and I'm not waiting for it long enough to complain.
my units are SSD's.


Yeah well, when i get a new CPU and motherboard i will test the GT 240 again to see how it performs. It worked great on 1600x900 gaming but i needed something that can deliver a decent frame rate at 1920x1080 so i got the 6850 but that's a part of the new PC i'm building. My GT 240 is tucked up safely in the box of my 6850 and is as good as new :D  I use the 6850 in this "old" rig because i have a HD monitor and 1600x900 resolution looks blury and the GT 240 like i said doesn't deliver optimal performance on full HD resolution. The parts i already got for my new rig is that 6850 and an Antec HCG 620W. Planing on getting an MSI 870S C45 FX and a phenom II X4 965 BE and use auto overclock which that board has, What do you think? :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 9:30:06 PM

clock it yourself and not use any auto-clock feature.
July 26, 2012 10:14:03 PM

verbalizer said:
clock it yourself and not use any auto-clock feature.


I would trust the motherboard to clock it because i'm a noob at overclocking and would probably mess it up. Can't set the correct clock speed and voltage. Sometimes it works and boots up fine but when i restart it or when i turn it of then on, it restarts a couple of times and then asks me to load default settings. I'm telling you i'm a noob at that stuff :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 10:38:33 PM

list your system specs..
July 26, 2012 10:48:35 PM

verbalizer said:
list your system specs..


Powercolor Radeon HD 6850
AMD athlon II X3 445 CPU 3.1 GHz
4gb RAM 1333MHz
Biostar N68S3+
Antec HCG 620W
July 26, 2012 10:55:35 PM



My board doesn't support it because its TDP is 125W and my board supports CPU's of 95W TDP that means the 960T is the best compatible CPU to this board. Which motherboard do you recommend? I had in mind purchasing an MSI 870S C45 FX but if you know a better one show me :D 
July 26, 2012 11:24:11 PM



I was thinking of this one: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870-C45--FX--V2.html
I would like to point out that the price of the board is bumped up because of extra 2 PCI express X16 slots. I'm not planing on doing crossfire or SLi so they are more likely to be a dust magnet :D  I also have no modems or any other expansion cards except the 2 slot GPU. I also have 2 SATA2 hard drives and an ATA Pioneer DVD RW
So is it worth getting any of those 2 boards because they have better BIOS or better hardware compatibility or something else?
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 11:44:43 PM

Lazar_99 said:
So it seems i have no choice but to go for a 100$ board. Any cheaper ones that are good? Say like 85$ or lower?

not running dual GPU's as-in CF-X or SLi right.?
not in the future either.?
July 27, 2012 12:36:24 AM

verbalizer said:
not running dual GPU's as-in CF-X or SLi right.?
not in the future either.?


No. For future upgrades i was thinking of getting a GTX 660 or R 7850. I would need a powerful CPU and PSU for dual gpu configurations so i will stay with single GPU configurations
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 11:45:37 AM

YES...
(silly question.. :p  )
July 27, 2012 11:58:24 AM

verbalizer said:
YES...
(silly question.. :p  )


1 problem though. I won't be able to use my ATA DVD RW drive. Are there any adapters that can help me?
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 11:59:43 AM

why can't you.? :??: 
something your not telling me, or are you just making sure.?
July 27, 2012 12:05:00 PM

verbalizer said:
why can't you.? :??: 
something your not telling me, or are you just making sure.?


I can't see any IDE connectors on the board so i'm guessing i can't use ATA connections on it
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 12:10:36 PM

Lazar_99 said:
I can't see any IDE connectors on the board so i'm guessing i can't use ATA connections on it

an SATA DRW cost like $20 shipped...
get off that old crap and come on over..
:pfff: 

you mean your DRW is IDE and no IDE connection on motherboard.?
July 27, 2012 1:52:00 PM

verbalizer said:
an SATA DRW cost like $20 shipped...
get off that old crap and come on over..
:pfff: 

you mean your DRW is IDE and no IDE connection on motherboard.?


What i'm trying to say is i can't afford a new DVD drive. even the board is beyond my budget but i managed to get enough for it but i don't have money to get a DVD drive. That old crap is probably better quality and will last longer than any of these new drives. I have this since 2006 and works as good as new. Didn't even have to clean it all these years it still reads and writes like i bought it yesterday
!