GodlessGamer

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Hi i noticed an option in most games to limit FPS to 30.
could you explain the purpose of this, as in why would I cut the FPS in half on purpose. all i can think of is to make the gameplay more consistent, even if it is consistently worse.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Well the correct behavion is to limit your Framerate with your Screen Refresh Rate, some people really hate* FPS flutuation, if you are running something at 60 fps and suddenly it drops to 30 fps the difference looks very laggy, so sometimes limiting them to 30 will make the game run at solid 30fps...

Vertical Sync is another feature that works with that idea, it will lock the FPS at your screen refresh rate, if the frames drop under that, it will limit the framerates to half of the refresh rate value.

mace200200

Honorable
I use to play games a lot on my laptop and I would limit the FPS, and CPU usage so that I wouldn't have to worry about overheating. I could see myself doing the same on my desktop if its a hot day, or what ever.

GodlessGamer

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Ahh i see, thanks guys, yeah i suppose sacrificing a few fps is worth your computer not working, couldnt understand why anyone would want to use it