Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new card, upgrading from a GTX 295...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2012 3:56:04 PM

Im just looking for some opinions, basically the main reason im upgrading is im tired of how loud and hot the 295 gets and i simply want to get something newer.

I have a few suggestions from other boards, but i wanted to see what some of you guys had to say. I was looking at the MSI 7950 on newegg but it went oos before i could get my order in.

So as much as id love to stick around 320-350, im eyeballing the gtx 670. Not the SC model though.

Is that type of a jump worth that extra 100 bucks?

Now as for gaming, i run games like Witcher 2, Diablo 3 etc...and my res is 1920x1200. So if you guys can just throw me some opinions that would be great.

More about : buying card upgrading gtx 295

July 26, 2012 3:57:03 PM

You could always wait a couple weeks for the 660ti, which should hit around the $300 mark and should be fairly close (according to rumors) to the GTX 670...

It's supposed to launch either August 14th or 16th I believe. It will likely drop prices further on the 78xx and 7950 cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 4:06:44 PM

savatage79 said:
Im just looking for some opinions, basically the main reason im upgrading is im tired of how loud and hot the 295 gets and i simply want to get something newer.

I have a few suggestions from other boards, but i wanted to see what some of you guys had to say. I was looking at the MSI 7950 on newegg but it went oos before i could get my order in.

So as much as id love to stick around 320-350, im eyeballing the gtx 670. Not the SC model though.

Is that type of a jump worth that extra 100 bucks?

Now as for gaming, i run games like Witcher 2, Diablo 3 etc...and my res is 1920x1200. So if you guys can just throw me some opinions that would be great.

i want to say gtx 670 is kickass gpu has ever madefor the now if i would u i made a budget of 400 and grab a msi gtx 670 which factory oced and it will kickass another brand gtx 670
here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2012 4:15:39 PM

Bigmack, thanks for the suggestion bro! Although im just ready to buy now, im too impatient like that haha.

So do you guys think MSI is as good as Evga pretty much? I never went with an MSI card before, which is new territory for me.

What are the differences from the MSI 670 to the Evga 670?
m
l
July 26, 2012 4:21:39 PM

As far as I know, no differences. If you want a GTX 670 from MSI, get the Twin Frozr ones. Otherwise, they're mostly the same.

See if you can get a good price for your 295.
m
l
July 26, 2012 4:24:39 PM

IMO EVGA is the best Nvidia brand, but MSI is a solid option as well. I've had a decent experience with them with their 7970 Lightning cards.

As for rather it's worth the extra $100 or so, that sorta depends on what you're hoping to use the card for (esp. rather or not you want to OC). The 670 performs about 16-17% better than a stock 7950 for about 21% more money (assuming you get a 7950 at $330).

I understand not being patient (I wasn't when I put my build together and spent probably $400 more than I needed to), but you may regret it once the 660(ti?) comes out in 2-3 weeks.
m
l
July 26, 2012 4:25:56 PM

Yea i was hoping to get a few bones for my 295 still, just to lighten the purchase cost a bit.

The thing that i do know is im sure all of these cards rock, its just always so tough to decide.

But heres a more pinpointed question, would i most definitely be securing myself a lot further down the road with a 670 as opposed to an 7950 at this point?
m
l
July 26, 2012 4:29:13 PM

BigMack70 said:
IMO EVGA is the best Nvidia brand, but MSI is a solid option as well. I've had a decent experience with them with their 7970 Lightning cards.

As for rather it's worth the extra $100 or so, that sorta depends on what you're hoping to use the card for (esp. rather or not you want to OC). The 670 performs about 16-17% better than a stock 7950 for about 21% more money (assuming you get a 7950 at $330).

I understand not being patient (I wasn't when I put my build together and spent probably $400 more than I needed to), but you may regret it once the 660(ti?) comes out in 2-3 weeks.

Well the main reason why i somtimes dont go for the whats coming out BM, is mostly because the day im buying it...im sure there is someone that could or would say "just wait man...in 2 months the XXXX is coming out and its gonna be the greatest".

Its so easy to get caught up in that with pc parts, know what i mean? So to me its like i gotta just pull the trigger somewhere so i dont keep thinking about it or itll make me nuts thinking if i got the best card i could get or what not.

I think my main factor is what is beastly, that will last me...thats really what im lookin for at this point. Its sounding like the 670 is the one leading the charge.
m
l
July 26, 2012 4:47:05 PM

A 15% performance difference won't mean too much in terms of how long the card will last you IMO. If a game isn't playable on the 7950, it's probably not going to be playable on the 670 either.

For example, if you're getting 25fps with a 7950, you (theoretically) might get 29fps with a GTX 670.

You're not really gonna go wrong either way. Both are good cards at good price points. I don't recommend spending more than $340 on a 7950, though, if you decide to go that route (since there are several with custom coolers available at $330-340 after MIR).
m
l
July 26, 2012 5:17:23 PM

Do the 670s run pretty cool overall though? Thats one of the main reasons i gotta get rid of the 295, just gets way to hot for my tastes.
m
l
July 26, 2012 5:21:22 PM

savatage79 said:
Do the 670s run pretty cool overall though? Thats one of the main reasons i gotta get rid of the 295, just gets way to hot for my tastes.

Yes.
m
l
July 26, 2012 5:26:45 PM

If you get a custom 670 or a custom 7950, you will have a cool GPU.
Toms' temperature/noise profiles for custom 670s:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...

Similarly but for the 7970s (which should give you an idea what to expect from custom 7950s - in theory the 7950s will be better than these #s):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-over...

I don't know if their testing methods were the same for each batch of cards, so I don't know if these are apples-to-apples numbers, but they should give you a general idea of load temperatures that you might see for a new GPU.
m
l
July 27, 2012 4:58:17 AM

Im just so torn ... and the reason i have time to think on it is because my bank transer to my paypal hasnt cleared yet so i been pondering it nonstop lol.

I really feel the 670 is what i need in terms of what im used too, since i have bought Evga for a long time and i like its 670 model. But then again im so curious to try an AMD card these days.

Ill be strictly gaming, does that play a part in helping to determine which card is the best for me?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 9:37:19 AM

savatage79 said:
Im just so torn ... and the reason i have time to think on it is because my bank transer to my paypal hasnt cleared yet so i been pondering it nonstop lol.

I really feel the 670 is what i need in terms of what im used too, since i have bought Evga for a long time and i like its 670 model. But then again im so curious to try an AMD card these days.

Ill be strictly gaming, does that play a part in helping to determine which card is the best for me?

just go grab gtx 670 pretty nice gpu look if :hello:  u want to upgrade gpu i suggest get zotac gtx 670 amp version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Nf8o2o0eE
yeah it will outperfoem gtx 680 easily
m
l
!