Jan 21, 2013
I built my own PC and here are the specs:

Intel i5 3330
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
Asus nVidia GTX650ti
Asus P8H61-MX R2.0
Corsair CX430
Zalman Z11

The problem i am having is when i go to start, shut down. The computer turns off like normal, the laser on the mouse turns off, the backlit keyboard turns off.
But inside the case I can hear a very faint whistling sound(it may be present when powered on but I dont notice it) and a green LED is lit up on both the Asus MOBO and Asus GPU.
I checked and no fans are spinning.
I have to turn off the PSU by its switch/mains switch to get it all to stop.
It doesn't bother me having to switch the PSU off, just want to know if its harmful to the computer

The first thing to know here is that the computer keeps 5v going to the motherboard even when the computer is "off". The green light on the motherboard indicates that standby power is on (reminder of sorts so you don't inadvertantly play with the powered on motherboard) it also means that all is seemingly well. I only imagine the green light on the GPU is for the same purpose. Turning off the power supply (or unplugging it) will turn off the lights (as you noted), you may also have settings in BIOS to disable the lights - not sure of that, your manual should explain that.
Hope it helps.

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Dude,thats just the psu shut off but there is still some power in the Capacitors of the psu,But it doesnt turn off because the psu being plugged in keeps the caps charged.Dont worry,My comp has my Antec kuhler lights on,evga motherboard lights on but other than that no fans or anything is on.just a few lights.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Err Asus boards do that mate, even when the system is turned off at the tower.
All it is saying is the power is good to the board from the Psu. lol The Psu is always in stand by mode.
When you press the power button, the board starts up its power cycle. Nothing wrong with it at all. Does it on my old Asus M2N-SLI deluxe board.