Assign a Static Drive Letter

August 8, 2005 9:27:10 PM

I have a partitioned 160GB hard drive (only two partitions), one has W2K, the
other XP Home. I also have a little 3G drive with basically just an operating
system (W2K) on it for those times when I mess everything up and need to boot
off a different drive. I want to permanently assign the letter G: to the
smaller partition because everything in the registry refers to G. However,
when I boot up on the 3G, it automatically assigns the letter G to it and it
tells me it already has that letter, therefore I needn't assign it that one.
Then when I boot up on the other partition, it assigns it the letter F: if I
forget to put a disc in the CD drive and when I change out hard drives, the
lettering begins all over again.

There is only enough room in my computer for two drives. Hmm, I guess the
big bays can be adapted to a hard drive. Maybe that's the way to go, just
keep adding hard drives until the G: is removed far enough to be assigned a
letter other than G: and also not be active. I sure would appreciate any
help. Thank you.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 10:30:01 PM

Try going to run,type:D iskmgmt.msc In msc L.click on a drive or
partition,go to
actions,all,select,change drive letter/paths,change the letter,close out
msc.If
windows uses that drive or the drive has a page file,you might 1st have to
unin-
stall from system properties,advanced,performance,page-file,change button,set
to no page file,click set 2X,close out,reopen msc and edit.

!