How long will my I7 3820 last me?

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Just out of curiosity,How long will my brand new i7 3820 last me,Years wise.Lookin at 3-5 years before a good upgrade? ill just be gaming and video editing.

There really is no easy answer to this question. The fact is that while it will physically last for years how long it will last before it feels to slow will depend on the user and what that person is doing. Will it last 3-5years before needing to be upgraded probably but no one can guarantee that.

a 3820 is more or less cutting edge, although the only cpu that is not 6Core in the lga2011 lineup. That platform supports pcie 3.0 (most with 2 x 16 pcie lanes) sata 6.0 usb 3.0 and quad channel memory. All those features are expected to be in the new mobo's comming this summer (quad channel will be excluded on most). I would expect it to last you 4-6 easy, and 8 years could be a safe bet with a graphics card refresh in 2-4

You can't tell. Futureproofing is non-existent.

Technology develops every day, so better performance CPUs will arrive, more demanding games and possibly there will come new editing features that also requires a lot more performance. Only time will tell, you can't predict the future.

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Yeah i mean,I just wanted a cpu that could last me a few years till my next upgrade.Since most games barely use 4 cores now,In the future they could use 8 cores/threads so i mean in general retrospect this cpu will last me ATLEAST 3-5 years before a decent upgrade.

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

I mean,How long have you had your 2500k? and how long before you decide to upgrade it?Because i know people they have had a 2500k for 2 years or so now and still use it today,I mean if in 3-5 years another i7 comes out at the same price but with 30-50% more performance yeah think that would be time to upgrade?

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
considering that some 60% of Steam users report they are still using a Core 2 Duo, it really depends on what you are using it for.

Gaming tech has REALLY stagnated until maybe the last few months, in an effort to make games that port to consoles more easily, so you've been able to use 3 or 4 year old tech to play games. DX11 is changing that, and its about the time of the cycle

For example, if you rendering 1080 video, and are still rendering 1080 video in 2016, the 3280 will still offer the same performance, but if video tech has increased and by 2016 you want to render 4K video, the 3280 hasn't improved any to offer similar performance with the new media.

Demand pushes the need to upgrade, it depends on what you are demanding your CPU to do. If you are only demanding internet and facebook, you don't need a CPU any better than the horrible NetBurst P4 :/

Dry

If the development keeps stable as of the last few generations then it might last you about 3-5 years I agree. Though I don't see the development being at such a slow phase, so it's something more of a debate wether a real question you're asking.

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Haha yeah,Im thinking this cpu will have a good 3-5 year lifespan...Now it comes down to...How well can i controll my urge to upgrade to the latest and greatest lol im a person to ALWAYS upgrade but my next thing will be custom watercooling loop and another 7950

At the price of 4k TVs and monitors I don't see that happening anytime soon. The DX11 part I do agree in, when the next generation consoles launches we will see a massive demand increase.

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
My educated guess is, it will last you 2-4 years. I base that on Intel's next generation of CPU's (Haswell) isn't going to be game breaking in increased performance. I realize benchmarks aren't out yet, but from what I've read on conference notes Intel is aiming more at large power efficiency gains rather then performance. Perhaps some else here has more insight on this then I do.

I have had it for two years now and have overclocked it. For me I plan on keeping this build for awhile. Like someone else said considering that people are still using the Core 2 and it is probably just becoming boredline obsolete I think most people will use Sandy Bridges and Ivy Bridges CPU's for a long time. Especially if they follow in the long and highly successful path of the Core 2.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

It'll last as long or longer than just about any other CPU on the market. Whether that's 2 years or 6 years depends on your preferences and usage habits, as much as it depends on unknowable technological developments in the future.

I'm guessing that if you sprang for a socket-2011 platform, you're the kind of guy who likes high-end performance, and therefore (perhaps perversely) your current rig might not last you as long as even a lesser rig might last for someone with lower standards. But that's pure conjecture on my part. The bottom line is that only you can gauge what level of performance you're accustomed to and/or find acceptable. One day you'll decide that your current rig doesn't meet that standard; dunno when.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
thinking once people get over this tablet fad more then likely with in the next few years they will end up back on the pc just a prediction the market fallows so like the sony walkman or the cd player I honestly think that these tech vendors are going to come to a wall when it comes to cell phones and tablets because at what point can you improve something that can already do every thing. with a few exceptions.. short of some serious advances in graphics tech and battery life i dont see the pc going any where.

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Well said.