Newbie Question

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 14, 2005 8:45:27 PM

Hi gang!

I'm an EQ1/EQ2 player who purchased WoW today. I basically want to try WoW
for the soloability. I don't have any problems in EQ1 because my guild is
pretty active. However, in EQ2 the game has pretty much ground to a halt
due to spending hours trying to find a group. I have a 34 Illusionist
there, and for some reason the casters have great difficulty getting groups.
Sure, I can solo somewhat, but having to spend 15 minutes killing 8-10 mobs
to get 1% experience is borrrrrrriiinggggg. I only have an hour or 2 to
play each day.

My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
paladin but i'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Lou

More about : newbie question

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 14, 2005 8:45:28 PM

>I'm an EQ1/EQ2 player who purchased WoW today. I basically want to try WoW
>for the soloability. I don't have any problems in EQ1 because my guild is
>pretty active. However, in EQ2 the game has pretty much ground to a halt
>due to spending hours trying to find a group. I have a 34 Illusionist
>there, and for some reason the casters have great difficulty getting groups.
>Sure, I can solo somewhat, but having to spend 15 minutes killing 8-10 mobs
>to get 1% experience is borrrrrrriiinggggg. I only have an hour or 2 to
>play each day.
>
>My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
>paladin but i'm not sure.

I would say you are right - up until about level 30. I think the best
solo players are those with pets (hunters, warlocks), and those with
high DPS (rogues, mages). The problem with the DPS group is that if
it is an elite that takes a while to kill, your armor won't sustain
you through the battle.

Ok, now go ahead and flame me guys.

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 15, 2005 12:21:34 AM

> My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
> paladin but i'm not sure.

All classes can solo to 60. Wow is much different from EQ in that
respect.
You have healing potions, food and bandages that all heal damage.
Water regenerates mana. So, unlike EQ, you don't have to spend 10
minutes sitting after a battle to regen your mana and hit points.

Some classes are harder to play than others. Warrior, for instance, is
not the simple class it is in EQ. So try out a few classes and see
which one you like best. I found Paladin to be very boring but some
people love them.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 15, 2005 4:48:16 AM

louis vincze jr ytrede sig i <1tmdnXyZIKpCFrXeRVn-og@comcast.com> med
dette:

>Hi gang!
>
>I'm an EQ1/EQ2 player who purchased WoW today. I basically want to try WoW
>for the soloability. I don't have any problems in EQ1 because my guild is
>pretty active. However, in EQ2 the game has pretty much ground to a halt
>due to spending hours trying to find a group. I have a 34 Illusionist
>there, and for some reason the casters have great difficulty getting groups.
>Sure, I can solo somewhat, but having to spend 15 minutes killing 8-10 mobs
>to get 1% experience is borrrrrrriiinggggg. I only have an hour or 2 to
>play each day.
>
>My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
>paladin but i'm not sure.

I would say Hunter and maybe Warlock.

A Paladin is fine for soloing but you're gonna be borred pretty fast
since you're used to caster classes in EQ (it also requeres you to take
mining/engeneering as professions if you want any ranged attack).

Hunters got a good reputation for soloing, but have a hard time finding
groups for instances. Warlocks are good for soloing too, and don't have
much problem finding groups, if you might want that option later.

All classes can be played solo up to level 60, but the melee classes are
the easiest up to around level 20. At this point the casters DPS have
become so high that they usually can kill off the mobs before getting
hit.

The class I love to solo most with are oddly enough, a Priest. The
shadow spells/talents are perfectly suited for soloing, and to make a
strong PvP char.

I also love to solo with my Shaman, but the kill rate is a bit slower,
it is however one of the most versitile classes.

After you've tried getting your first char to level 10, just try
another. It can be done within the two hours you got to play a day, and
when you've tried it once or twice you can even learn to do it in an
hour (if you don't get sidetracked by learning the professions). This
way you'll have a nice idea within a week about which class should be
your main.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

Urbin wrote:
> On 15 Sep 2005 01:07:28 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I tried herbalism as a hunter and I wouldn't recommend either that or
> > mining. It uses the mini-map to show you where the nodes are and
> > cannot be used at the same time as any of your tracking skills. If you
> > are happy to just harvest what you see then it may be ok. That may
> > mean that you will start fighting in areas where you can't mine/gather
> > herbs as your gather skill has lagged too far behind your level.
>
> My hunter is also a herbalist and I very rarely have conflicts on the
> tracking radar/minimap. 'Herb tracking' is my default mode when travelling
> and discovering new zones. This means that I discover a lot of 'herb nodes'
> which gave me fast skill-up (hit 300 in herbalism somewhere in the mid
> 40ies).
>
> This means that I will occasionally run into unexpected mobs (it usually
> happens with animals, especially in the Hinterlands and Winterspring (or
> maybe in those places these encounters just caused me the most grief). But
> of course this can also happen if you're tracking dragonkin and then run
> into undead for example.
>
> I only switch to tracking mode of a certain mob type if I'm approaching a
> 'nest' of them (e.g. tracking humans on go'shek's farm) and in new teritory
> while discovering I sometimes flick through all tracking types just to gain
> an impression what kind of mobs are around.
>
> Besides, once I have mapped out an area, gatherer reminds me where I have
> found herbs before, so I could even track something else.
>
> Summarising I can say I had less problems being a herbalis hunter than steve
> :-)

One important difference between us is that my hunter is on a PvP
server and yours is on PvE. I never have track humanoids switched off
unless I am looking for some particular mob.

steve.kaye
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 15, 2005 6:58:57 AM

"louis vincze jr" <louvjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi gang!
>
> I'm an EQ1/EQ2 player who purchased WoW today. I basically want to try
WoW
> for the soloability. I don't have any problems in EQ1 because my guild is
> pretty active. However, in EQ2 the game has pretty much ground to a halt
> due to spending hours trying to find a group. I have a 34 Illusionist
> there, and for some reason the casters have great difficulty getting
groups.
> Sure, I can solo somewhat, but having to spend 15 minutes killing 8-10
mobs
> to get 1% experience is borrrrrrriiinggggg. I only have an hour or 2 to
> play each day.
>
> My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
> paladin but i'm not sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I solo'd a Hunter, a Mage, and a Rogue to 60. Had a blast, with all three.
I didn't play these classes with soloing, in mind. I solo a lot, anyway.
These are the classes that I just had fun playing. Tried Warlock, Paladin,
Warrior out. Didn't care much, for either of those three. The warrior, I
leveled to 53 (my first WoW character) before I realized how much I hate
that class (in this game). It did, give me a chance to learn a lot about
the game and make a more informed decision on what classes I wanted to try.

Best bet...just pick something you think you'd like. As another poster
stated, just about any class can be solo'd, in this game. Even priest, if
you spec shadow over holy. FYI, soloing goes very slowly on Warrior :)

> Lou

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 15, 2005 7:38:01 AM

"louis vincze jr" <louvjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
> paladin but i'm not sure.

I play a paladin myself and I would say go for rogue if you want a fun solo
experience. Take alchemy and engineering as your professions.. you can make
a lot of potions and gadgets that will kick ass for soloing :)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 15, 2005 7:48:08 AM

In article <sk8hi19eb36j8qq34pnpj6hkjldfvgbgee@4ax.com>,
ASKF <nospam@askf.dk> wrote:

> louis vincze jr ytrede sig i <1tmdnXyZIKpCFrXeRVn-og@comcast.com> med
> dette:
>
> >Hi gang!
> >
> >I'm an EQ1/EQ2 player who purchased WoW today. I basically want to try WoW
> >for the soloability. I don't have any problems in EQ1 because my guild is
> >pretty active. However, in EQ2 the game has pretty much ground to a halt
> >due to spending hours trying to find a group. I have a 34 Illusionist
> >there, and for some reason the casters have great difficulty getting groups.
> >Sure, I can solo somewhat, but having to spend 15 minutes killing 8-10 mobs
> >to get 1% experience is borrrrrrriiinggggg. I only have an hour or 2 to
> >play each day.
> >
> >My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
> >paladin but i'm not sure.
>
> I would say Hunter and maybe Warlock.

Both good choices, as they get "pets", which make them a sort of
mini-group unto themselves.

Druid (my fave) and Shaman are also pretty good, as they're decent
"jacks of all trades". Druid, more so, IMO, but shaman not bad.

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

On 15 Sep 2005 01:07:28 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

> I tried herbalism as a hunter and I wouldn't recommend either that or
> mining. It uses the mini-map to show you where the nodes are and
> cannot be used at the same time as any of your tracking skills. If you
> are happy to just harvest what you see then it may be ok. That may
> mean that you will start fighting in areas where you can't mine/gather
> herbs as your gather skill has lagged too far behind your level.

My hunter is also a herbalist and I very rarely have conflicts on the
tracking radar/minimap. 'Herb tracking' is my default mode when travelling
and discovering new zones. This means that I discover a lot of 'herb nodes'
which gave me fast skill-up (hit 300 in herbalism somewhere in the mid
40ies).

This means that I will occasionally run into unexpected mobs (it usually
happens with animals, especially in the Hinterlands and Winterspring (or
maybe in those places these encounters just caused me the most grief). But
of course this can also happen if you're tracking dragonkin and then run
into undead for example.

I only switch to tracking mode of a certain mob type if I'm approaching a
'nest' of them (e.g. tracking humans on go'shek's farm) and in new teritory
while discovering I sometimes flick through all tracking types just to gain
an impression what kind of mobs are around.

Besides, once I have mapped out an area, gatherer reminds me where I have
found herbs before, so I could even track something else.

Summarising I can say I had less problems being a herbalis hunter than steve
:-)

Another thing I have been wondering: Do herbs get easier to spot the higher
your herbalism skill is above the herb's level? Or is it just that I got
better at spotting them after harvesting it for the umpteenth time? It seems
that in the beginning I could hardly spot a peacebloom at 5 yards and
nowadays I see sunleaf at great distances :-)

Cheers
Urbin

--
Urbin (57), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

On 15 Sep 2005 02:30:53 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

> Urbin wrote:
> > On 15 Sep 2005 01:07:28 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Summarising I can say I had less problems being a herbalis hunter than steve
> > :-)
>
> One important difference between us is that my hunter is on a PvP
> server and yours is on PvE. I never have track humanoids switched off
> unless I am looking for some particular mob.

Touché

I was going to state that exception to my experiences and then forgot to.
:-)

Cheers
Urbin

--
Urbin (57), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Sneak (7), Troll Rogue (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gorosh (5), Tauren Druid (PvP) @sunstrider.en
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 15, 2005 1:57:24 PM

JustAnotherRanger ytrede sig i
<Jv9We.5354$Ve1.4413@bignews4.bellsouth.net> med dette:

>"louis vincze jr" <louvjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
>> paladin but i'm not sure.
>
>I play a paladin myself and I would say go for rogue if you want a fun solo
>experience. Take alchemy and engineering as your professions.. you can make
>a lot of potions and gadgets that will kick ass for soloing :)

Taking two production professions isn't that wise for the first char,
especially not for a casual player that can only play 1-2h at a time.

It takes a little time to learn to make enough money to buy all the
regents at AH, and it'll also include some grinding, which was excatly
the thing he didn't like from EQ.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he
can hear you only through the filter of the paradigm he holds."
-Myron Tribus
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 15, 2005 2:03:23 PM

"Lehi" <right@behin.edu> wrote in message
> >I'm an EQ1/EQ2 player who purchased WoW today. I basically want to try
> >WoW
>>for the soloability. I don't have any problems in EQ1 because my guild is
>>pretty active. However, in EQ2 the game has pretty much ground to a halt
>>due to spending hours trying to find a group. I have a 34 Illusionist
>>there, and for some reason the casters have great difficulty getting
>>groups.
>>Sure, I can solo somewhat, but having to spend 15 minutes killing 8-10
>>mobs
>>to get 1% experience is borrrrrrriiinggggg. I only have an hour or 2 to
>>play each day.
>>
>>My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
>>paladin but i'm not sure.
>
> I would say you are right - up until about level 30. I think the best
> solo players are those with pets (hunters, warlocks), and those with
> high DPS (rogues, mages). The problem with the DPS group is that if
> it is an elite that takes a while to kill, your armor won't sustain
> you through the battle.

I never had much problem killing same level and higher level Elites with my
Rogue. With the Rogue the key is agility and stun (at least IME). Oh and the
odd health pot doesn't hurt ;-)
September 15, 2005 7:17:34 PM

> My question is which player class is best for soloiong. I'm thinking
> paladin but i'm not sure.

For someone coming fresh from EQ I would suggest a pet class (Hunter or
Warlock) for soloing as a lot of the same pet/master dynamics still hold
true, ie, aggro management etc.

If you like mellee then Rogues have a good solo reputation due to the fact
they can kick ass in questing due to the abiltiy to stealth to destinations
avoiding all the "scenery" on the way. Questing is a much much bigger part
of WoW than EQ, the entire questing system is generations ahead and is
actually used by many as an integral part of leveling. Unlike EQ, the
rewards are well worth the effort.

As a first solo character I would suggest Hunter with a Beastmaster build on
a PvE server. Nice and simple for a first character until you become fluent
with game mechanics. Warlocks may be jumping into the deep end a bit as they
are a more complicated (albiet rewarding) class.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 16, 2005 12:03:05 AM

steve.kaye wrote:

> I tried herbalism as a hunter and I wouldn't recommend either that or
> mining. It uses the mini-map to show you where the nodes are and
> cannot be used at the same time as any of your tracking skills. If you
> are happy to just harvest what you see then it may be ok. That may
> mean that you will start fighting in areas where you can't mine/gather
> herbs as your gather skill has lagged too far behind your level.
>
> steve.kaye

Hm, maybe because I previously played a land naga druid, and know pretty
much were the good herbs are, and swapping between herb/mining minimap
augs is not that difficult, I can herb scan an area and mineral scan an
area I am hunting in between pulls while I am slurping down food and
water. AS a hunter, I almost never bothered with track beast unless I
was looking for something specific and hard to find. But then again, I
have always liked killing hunmanoids because they drop *cash*=)
<level 52 hunter, level 58 druid alliance on elune, though now I play a
mostly dead warlock on cenarius named sonnenschein=)>
!