Sign in with
Your question

New building (still in process)

Last response: in Systems
September 14, 2012 12:20:21 PM

Hello, I would like to ask you about my PC.
case: CM Haf X
Mobo: p8z77 pro
Cpu: i5 3570k
Ram: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3

my questions are two:

a) what psu should I get? 650w is enough?
planning to use one GPU (gtx 660 ti or 560 ti)

b) i dont know what cpu air cooler should i use...

c) 2.5 or 3.5 ssd???

any other suggestions would apreciate

More about : building process

September 14, 2012 1:19:12 PM

It depends on how much clearance you have in your case as to which cpu cooler is better. Noctua make really good cpu coolers - personally I would go for an aio watercooler like an antec 620 or corsair h60. You will get better and quiet cooling. Its a bit more expensive but definitely worth it. Solid state drives are usually only 2.5" - harddrives are 3.5". I prefer nVidia over amd because nvidia is just better - the 560ti isn't really up to standard with the rest of your components. The gtx 670 is the way to go. For comparisons between nvidia and amd go to: http://www.hwcompare.com/12507/geforce-gtx-670-vs-radeo...

Hope this helps!
Related resources
September 14, 2012 1:47:55 PM

trollface said:
It depends on how much clearance you have in your case as to which cpu cooler is better. Noctua make really good cpu coolers - personally I would go for an aio watercooler like an antec 620 or corsair h60. You will get better and quiet cooling. Its a bit more expensive but definitely worth it. Solid state drives are usually only 2.5" - harddrives are 3.5". I prefer nVidia over amd because nvidia is just better - the 560ti isn't really up to standard with the rest of your components. The gtx 670 is the way to go. For comparisons between nvidia and amd go to: http://www.hwcompare.com/12507/geforce-gtx-670-vs-radeo...

Hope this helps!

Well, nVidia is not "just" better. There is a reason why AMD sells more, at least in my country in the HD 6000 gen cards.
September 14, 2012 1:58:09 PM

A quality 650w PSU is enough to power one card. it seems newer tech is becoming more power efficient so it should be good for future upgrades.

check this CPU cooler out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It seems to provide pretty great results.

SSDs are usually 2.5 in. I recently bought a Samsung 830 series SSD. Quality drive.

September 14, 2012 5:51:13 PM

XXStavrosXX said:
Well, nVidia is not "just" better. There is a reason why AMD sells more, at least in my country in the HD 6000 gen cards.

Well I think nVidia is better, I just cba to type out all the reasons why xD The reason why amd sells more is because it is a cheaper option, but not necessarily better.

Pros for nVidia: Cuda cores, nVidia GPUDirect and nVidia PureVideo and PhysX.
All those lacking in ati cards: More stress is put on the cpu when using an ati card, performance is lacking in comparison to nVidia cards and also Amd use cheap tricks such as putting the gpu on one board (dual graphics) or creating APU series processors (cpu+gpu) in an attempt to compete with nvidia cards.

September 14, 2012 9:33:07 PM

Sorry guys for my late reply! The thing is that a friend will give me a corsair 650w! Plus the gpu i want is for BF3 in ultra settings! Gtx 670 is really good but also expensive!

Asked for ssd coz ive got the win7 ultimate 64bit on a hard drive and i was thinking to put a 120gb ssd to install the win! But i think i will have problems if 2 drives running OS! Im confused :/ 
September 14, 2012 9:42:17 PM

for the cpu cooler im thinking for 212 evo but even though i have the space required i think is too big.... :/  but ive read a lot good reviews for it!!!
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 12:00:53 AM

just look at my build. if you have a free 650w psu, go ahead and use it
September 15, 2012 1:46:33 AM

where can I see your Rig??
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 2:03:12 AM

go to my first post and click on the link
September 16, 2012 4:41:53 PM

x-istenz said:

Asked for ssd coz ive got the win7 ultimate 64bit on a hard drive and i was thinking to put a 120gb ssd to install the win! But i think i will have problems if 2 drives running OS! Im confused :/ 

The os installed on two drives - that's not going to work xD
The os can only be installed on one drive otherwise you're gonna have a bad time.

Installing the os on just the ssd is pretty easy:
- First you want to format the sdd. You can do this by going to the control panel > admin tools > computer management > disc management. You will then have the option to format the drive, its not essential but it is advised.

- Back everything up on your original hard drive, data may be deleted - miss this step and you will have a bad time.

- Open up your pc. Unplug your harddrive(s) so that only the ssd is plugged in. Install the OS onto the ssd as normal, then shutdown the pc.

- When it boots up it will be fast but everything will be default. You will need to reinstall all the programs you previously had on your harddrive. Even the programs you want to remain on the harddrive will need reinstalling. Before you download any programs, you must install some form of virus protection.

For more detail, refer to this guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-twe...

Hope this helps!
September 17, 2012 8:59:26 AM

it really helps!!! damn....i thought would be a faster way :p 

thank you very much!! :) 

about the cpu cooler....i dont know which one to select for my needs...(mostly games and maybe OC)
for example...i like this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJwtgX8cWI (2.55 time) but is stock one...and i dont know which one :( 

i was thinking for cm v10 cooler....but is expensive....

i dont wanna use water cooling as i dont think i need it!!!

also 212 evo plus is good...but is big.
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2012 10:53:06 AM

the hyper 212 is small compared to higher performing heatsinks like the D14
a c 116 à CPUs
September 17, 2012 11:22:38 AM

trollface said:
Well I think nVidia is better, I just cba to type out all the reasons why xD The reason why amd sells more is because it is a cheaper option, but not necessarily better.

Pros for nVidia: Cuda cores, nVidia GPUDirect and nVidia PureVideo and PhysX.
All those lacking in ati cards: More stress is put on the cpu when using an ati card, performance is lacking in comparison to nVidia cards and also Amd use cheap tricks such as putting the gpu on one board (dual graphics) or creating APU series processors (cpu+gpu) in an attempt to compete with nvidia cards.

Be careful, your fan-boyism is showing...

AMD cards have superior OpenCL performance, better at higher resolutions than equivalent Nvidia cards. A superior multi-monitor utility called Eyefinity, typically overclock better than Nvidia cards. Superior memory bus on mid-range cards.

To claim that all AMD cards under-perform compared to Nvidia is ludicrous, some are better, others are not.
Dual GPU cards are nothing new or AMD unique, look at the GTX690 or 590 before it.
The fact you can hybrid-crossfire AMD APU's and some AMD cards means nothing in terms of trying to compete with Nvidia. Its just simply a great way to get increased performance in cheaper budget builds. If anything its a demerit against Nvidia that they don't have anything like this.

To dispel the argument I'm an AMD fanboy.

Nvidia cards have CUDA, which is good for hardware acceleration in video editing programs. PhysX is a good feature in the games that support it. They have a superior 3D gaming utility and environment compared to AMD. They have been very competitive with pricing their Kepler cards, and the Kepler architecture is great performer.

I am not saying either is better, its never a possible to say outright which to get. It all comes down to what you expect the card to do and at what price point.

Anyway, back to the topic.

The 212 EVO fits quite easily inside the HAF-X. I own both personally and can say that you could comfortably fit two inside this case. The HAF-X is about the largest case you can get that doesnt cost $250+, fitting components inside wont be an issue.

September 17, 2012 12:43:18 PM

i know i have space for 212 evo on my case!! thats why i bought the haf x :)  i think im going to buy it :) 

if i OC my cpu....to 4.2 or 4.5 the 212 evo would be enough???
a c 116 à CPUs
September 17, 2012 12:49:24 PM

The 212 EVO is plenty for moderate overclocks on the 3570k. I am getting good temps on my 3570k at 4.2Ghz (idle temps of ~20, load temps at 55c. Ambient ~20c).

Pro Tip: The 3570k will hit 4.2Ghz without changing stock voltage.
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2012 1:36:25 PM

i hit 4.5ghz with 1.15v.
September 17, 2012 2:21:37 PM

2743126,15,1203102 said:
Be careful, your fan-boyism is showing...

To claim that all AMD cards under-perform compared to Nvidia is ludicrous, some are better, others are not.
Dual GPU cards are nothing new or AMD unique, look at the GTX690 or 590 before it.
The fact you can hybrid-crossfire AMD APU's and some AMD cards means nothing in terms of trying to compete with Nvidia. Its just simply a great way to get increased performance in cheaper budget builds. If anything its a demerit against Nvidia that they don't have anything like this.

To dispel the argument I'm an AMD fanboy.

said:

Fan-girlism... :D  Guilty as charged...Yeah I know you're right, but having owned both an amd and nvidia card, I just prefered the nvidia!
September 27, 2012 1:29:07 PM

guys im really stressed! i dont know what motherboard and gpu to buy!! i just want my BF3 plays smoothly in ultra settings!!!

im thinking for asrock z77 extreme4 and msi gtx 660ti pe oc

or

gigabyte z77x ud5h (same gpu)

which one is better??? ive read the reviews an dont know which one to buy...any help??? planning to do some OC (around 4.2 - 4.5) but later

ps: i desided to return back my p8z77 v pro mobo!!!

September 27, 2012 6:01:56 PM

I currently have an ASRock mobo and its built well enough. I can't speak for the z77 extreme 4 but it has good reviews.

Reading reviews of the gtx 660ti, it seems it preforms well but is a bit overpriced currently for what it is. I believe a better choice at that price range would be an HD 7950.
September 28, 2012 1:44:32 AM

between the ASRock extreme 4 and gigabyte z77x ud5h and with gpu asus gtx 670 (not gtx 660 ti, again changed my mind :/  ) i think is better to go with ASRock!! is cheaper and believe more solid and stable for gtx 670! what do you think guys??
!