Help with a CPU Problem

Hello there, I have a problem with a CPU I recently purchased. I installed the CPU fine, and it runs fine, but sometimes the PC randomly freezes, the monitor losses signal, but I can still hear the fans running, and the PC is in fact still working, though I can't perform anything other than hard reset to get the PC up and running again. I've checked the Windows Event Log, and there are no errors during the time this happens.

I have a MS-7329 motherboard (Intel P31 Neo V2 Chipset), and the CPU I bought is Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 Ghz, and the CPU I had before that one was E2200 2.2 Ghz. I also recently purchased a new PSU unit with 550W. The reason I know that it's the CPU problem is because if I put my old CPU back it runs fine. I've checked the temperatures in BIOS, and the CPU temp was 50 C or 51 C (system temperature 37 C), while using Real Temp software it says 37 C on both cores, in idle mode. And under 100 % load (checked with Intel Burn In Test for about 5 minutes) it never goes more than 80C. When I'm gaming, the temperatures always stay below 60 C.

My question is: Is there anything else I have to adjust when replacing the CPU. I did everything by the book: removed the old heatsink and the fan, removed the old CPU, placed in the new one, added thermal compund, and placed the new heatsink on it. The first time I installed the new CPU this problem was very frequent, then I tried reinstalling it again, and this time the CPU worked fine for 5 days, and then the problem appeared again when I'm watching videos or gaming.
Could I have damaged the CPU? Or might there be something wrong with my motherboard? Do I have to flash my BIOS perhaps?

My full PC specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 Ghz
ATI Radeon 4850 HD 1 GB GDDR5
MSI - 7329 (Intel Chipset P31 Neo V2)
MicroStar 550W PSU
4GB DDR2 800 Mghz Ram Memory

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
6 answers Last reply
More about help problem
  1. perhaps monitor your voltages. i have a sneaking suspicion that the psu is the culpret
  2. Not good.
  3. At this point I would ask you to list the brand and model name of the new PSU you just put in the system I don`t have to though Micro Star are cheap PSU`s, Was it a £40 pounds price or cheaper ? No wonder then eh it`s obvious what the problem is. That Psu will be no where near what it states it can deliver in wattage or amps.

Buy a quality brand, Ocz, Corsair, silverstone, ect.
  4. It`s cheap and tacky, just looked at the specs, Ugh ! Replace it please before it pops and takes out the rest of your PC.
  5. MS Pro 550W ATX P4 is the full brand and model. It's new, and it's price was somewhere around 30 $. The thing is the old E2200 works fine with this PSU, but perhaps since this one needs more. How much voltage does E7500 exactly need, and how can I monitor problems with the voltages? Is there any software that can warn be about this? I am using speedfan to check the voltages, but I have no idea how to check the voltages, or even detect problems with it.
  6. And I have been using the same PSU for the last 4 years, and I have never had any problems with it.

[EDIT] Here's the complete listing of voltages in speedfan (i'm not sure if this would be helpful), but anyway, here you go:

VCC3V: 3.41V
    Vcore: 1.14V
    VRAM: 1.68V
    VChipset: 0.91V
    +5V: 5.09V
    +12V: 11.97V
    VCC1.5V: 0.89V
    VSB3V: 3.42V
    Vbat: 3.34V
    GPU Vddc: 1.20V
Ask a new question

Read More