Sign in with
Your question

First Build - Budgetish Gaming

Last response: in Systems
September 14, 2012 12:44:46 PM

Hullo! embarking on my very first build with almost no experience at all, so if you'll kindly bear with me and the inevitable stupid questions that will follow, I'd very much appreciate it!

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week or so, when I move into my uni halls.

Budget Range: I'd rather not go above around £550 - which is about $890 US dollars, apparently.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming rig.

Are you buying a monitor: Nope, I'm cannibalising an ancient SAMTRON

Do you need to buy OS: No

Parts Preferences: I've had terrible experiences with ATI Graphics cards and the associated customer service, so I'd rather avoid them entirely.

Your Monitor Resolution: I believe it's 1280 x 1024? Possibly? Around that size.

Right, so the parts I'm thinking of are thusly:

CPU - Intel i5 3570k
MoBo - MSI Z77A-G43 Z77 Socket 1155
PSU - OCZ technology ZS power supply
Cooling - Artic Cooling Freezer i30
RAM - Corsair 8gb 2x 4 gb
Case - Bitfenix Outlaw - £40

In terms of hard drive, I'm going to try and smuggle out my current 1tb drive from my old potato-with-a-keyboard. I've no idea what the specs are, but I figure since it's a 1tb drive, it can't be that old.
Which brings me to my questions:

1. You might have noticed that the GPU is currently missing. This is because I'm torn between a few cards - the GTX 650, the 660 and the 560. On the one hand, I think that the 650, whilst low end, will be quite sufficient for my needs and will allow me to bring the whole thing in for under £500. On the other, my computing "enthusiast" (read as: 6 monitors) who kindly helped me with this, opines that the 660 offers much better value in terms of power, and will much increase the lifespan of the build - but will also bring me up to my budget ceiling for power I may well not need. The 560 is sort of a compromise option, but I and he are both hesitant about it for reasons neither of us can quite get. Any input on this - or similar alternatives - would be welcome.

2. I plumped for the Outlaw as a case because I heard it was very easy to work with. I believe it is, however, a rather small case, and I was worried about whether it would all fit in - Does anyone know? Likewise, any tips on budget but easy to work with cases would be very kind

Finally, if anything in the list strikes you as overpriced or underpowered, I'd very much appreciate your opinion - and likewise on compatibility, although I understand that's much harder to check.

Thanks!

More about : build budgetish gaming

September 14, 2012 1:25:50 PM

Alot depends on your gaming preferences (WoW...BF3...Crysis 1...Metro 2033...Enterprise Holodeck...lol).

That said, 1280x1024 is not a demanding resolution so any of your choices above should be appropriate (again, juxtaposed against your gaming preferences).

I dont know your financial situation, but I would go with the 560 or 660 (If nVidia is your thing). Youll probably want to upgrade to a 1600x900 or 1920x1080/1200 monitor in the near future...and I'd personally want the extra graphical muscle.

GL dude.
September 14, 2012 2:21:20 PM

You don't state size of power supply. Whilst some OCZ's are ok, I'm not a huge fan, overall. You only NEED 500w, so something in the mid 500's from someone like Seasonic, XFX, BeQuiet, might be a good choice, if at comparable price.
You don't state which range of Corsair RAM. Ensure it's low enough profile, not to clash with cooler. Crucial Ballistic Sport, or GSkill ARES are good alternatives, that definitely won't clash.
Related resources
September 14, 2012 2:29:15 PM

TheWiseDaz said:
Hullo! embarking on my very first build with almost no experience at all, so if you'll kindly bear with me and the inevitable stupid questions that will follow, I'd very much appreciate it!

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week or so, when I move into my uni halls.

Budget Range: I'd rather not go above around £550 - which is about $890 US dollars, apparently.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming rig.

Are you buying a monitor: Nope, I'm cannibalising an ancient SAMTRON

Do you need to buy OS: No

Parts Preferences: I've had terrible experiences with ATI Graphics cards and the associated customer service, so I'd rather avoid them entirely.

Your Monitor Resolution: I believe it's 1280 x 1024? Possibly? Around that size.

Right, so the parts I'm thinking of are thusly:

CPU - Intel i5 3570k
MoBo - MSI Z77A-G43 Z77 Socket 1155
PSU - OCZ technology ZS power supply
Cooling - Artic Cooling Freezer i30
RAM - Corsair 8gb 2x 4 gb
Case - Bitfenix Outlaw - £40

In terms of hard drive, I'm going to try and smuggle out my current 1tb drive from my old potato-with-a-keyboard. I've no idea what the specs are, but I figure since it's a 1tb drive, it can't be that old.
Which brings me to my questions:

1. You might have noticed that the GPU is currently missing. This is because I'm torn between a few cards - the GTX 650, the 660 and the 560. On the one hand, I think that the 650, whilst low end, will be quite sufficient for my needs and will allow me to bring the whole thing in for under £500. On the other, my computing "enthusiast" (read as: 6 monitors) who kindly helped me with this, opines that the 660 offers much better value in terms of power, and will much increase the lifespan of the build - but will also bring me up to my budget ceiling for power I may well not need. The 560 is sort of a compromise option, but I and he are both hesitant about it for reasons neither of us can quite get. Any input on this - or similar alternatives - would be welcome.

2. I plumped for the Outlaw as a case because I heard it was very easy to work with. I believe it is, however, a rather small case, and I was worried about whether it would all fit in - Does anyone know? Likewise, any tips on budget but easy to work with cases would be very kind

Finally, if anything in the list strikes you as overpriced or underpowered, I'd very much appreciate your opinion - and likewise on compatibility, although I understand that's much harder to check.

Thanks!

Here;

£500-£550

CPU: i3 3220 £100
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/show [...] =CP-430-IN

GPU: MSI AMD Radeon HD 7850 Twin Frozr III/OC £160
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products [...] gd5oc.html

Case: Coolmaster Elite 430 £35
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Mas [...] 137&sr=8-1

Mobo: MSI B75MA-P45 £53
http://www.ebuyer.com/363618-msi-b [...] -b75ma-p45

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l [...] dition=new

HDD: Seagate 500gb 7200rpm £45
http://www.ebuyer.com/272944-seaga [...] st500dm002

DVD Drive: Sony AS-5280S £13
http://www.ebuyer.com/278111-sony- [...] d-5280s-0b

PSU: XFX 450watt Core Edition £38
http://www.ebuyer.com/264381-xfx-4 [...] -450s-u2b9

RAM: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz £18
http://www.ebuyer.com/342435-cruci [...] 9ds1s00ceu

TOTAL=£535 (Could make it cheaper by going the AMD route) Also up to you but you could get a quad core for around £100 if you want with AMD

I have a 7850 and it is fine, great card for the price, and as you don't need a OS you can get a SSD or a i5 3570k £170ish with the GA-Z77-D3H £80
September 14, 2012 2:42:30 PM

idroid said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l [... said:
dition=new

he said no OS.

Read last sentance,and I said take the OS out, then get either a i5 3570k with a GA-Z77-D3H with the savings or get a SSD if he cant afford option number 1
September 14, 2012 2:48:42 PM

here, buy this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£140.87 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£71.80 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£34.02 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.90 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card (£143.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Silverstone SST-RL01B-USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £523.08
September 14, 2012 2:49:05 PM

spat55 said:
he said no OS.

Read last sentance,and I said take the OS out, then get either a i5 3570k with a GA-Z77-D3H with the savings or get a SSD if he cant afford option number 1[/quotemsg]

Then why did you included an OS in the first place?
September 14, 2012 2:52:20 PM

idroid said:
Read last sentance,and I said take the OS out, then get either a i5 3570k with a GA-Z77-D3H with the savings or get a SSD if he cant afford option number 1

Then why did you included an OS in the first place?[/quotemsg]

Because I copied it from the link in my sig, so then I just put it in my sentance to give him a option or 2
September 14, 2012 11:33:04 PM

Gosh, thanks everyone for all the responses! One thing that people seemed to miss was that I already have a hard drive, so I'll make that clearer on the OP. I very much appreciate the parts lists and will have a look through them.
Replies follow.

toddybody said:
Alot depends on your gaming preferences (WoW...BF3...Crysis 1...Metro 2033...Enterprise Holodeck...lol).

That said, 1280x1024 is not a demanding resolution so any of your choices above should be appropriate (again, juxtaposed against your gaming preferences).

I dont know your financial situation, but I would go with the 560 or 660 (If nVidia is your thing). Youll probably want to upgrade to a 1600x900 or 1920x1080/1200 monitor in the near future...and I'd personally want the extra graphical muscle.

GL dude.

I tend to play all sorts, but I would need something capable of blockbuster new releases. But as you say, on one hand all of the cards will work. On the other, the extra power helps future proof is - at a cost. Really rather a pickle, but thanks for helping - will probably plump for 560, as you say!

malbluff said:
You don't state size of power supply. Whilst some OCZ's are ok, I'm not a huge fan, overall. You only NEED 500w, so something in the mid 500's from someone like Seasonic, XFX, BeQuiet, might be a good choice, if at comparable price.
You don't state which range of Corsair RAM. Ensure it's low enough profile, not to clash with cooler. Crucial Ballistic Sport, or GSkill ARES are good alternatives, that definitely won't clash.

I was intending the 550w, so that works out well. Is OCZ a poor quality brand? I don't particularly want to fry everything and I definitely will check out your alternatives, so thanks for that!
Likewise with the RAM, thanks awfully for the tips - again, I'll check out your alternatives, so thank you very much!

spat55 said:

-snip-

TOTAL=£535 (Could make it cheaper by going the AMD route) Also up to you but you could get a quad core for around £100 if you want with AMD

I have a 7850 and it is fine, great card for the price, and as you don't need a OS you can get a SSD or a i5 3570k £170ish with the GA-Z77-D3H £80

I do tend to shy away from AMD - frightful customer service. Thanks also for the provided list - I did have a look at them, but I would rather assemble my own list of components, and can work to my specific requirements. I'll check out some of the components on the list, though, so thank you!

idroid said:
here, buy this:

-snip -

Again, I would rather assemble my own list, but thanks for the recommendations - I will check them out accordingly!
September 14, 2012 11:37:44 PM

TheWiseDaz said:

Again, I would rather assemble my own list, but thanks for the recommendations - I will check them out accordingly!

That build is perfect for that price range, there is no point in making your own list if its not going to be better than mine
September 15, 2012 12:08:30 AM

idroid said:
That build is perfect for that price range, there is no point in making your own list if its not going to be better than mine

"Perfect" is pure opinion - whilst I'm sure your list is excellent, my own compiled list - coming in at £7 over my £550 budget - is able to take into account the fact I already have a 1tb hard drive, and thus do not need to buy one, the fact that I'd prefer to use the Bitfenix case as it is known for it's ease of use, the fact I wish to avoid AMD due to poor experience with them and other preferences in terms of power.

If you feel that any of the components I've listed are wrong, then I would love to hear your alternatives, with reasons for doing so (i.e the case is too small, the card overpowered or the cooler of a poor make) but otherwise, I'll stick with mine, thank you.
September 15, 2012 12:19:48 AM

OCZ PSUs aren't all bad, it more a case of some models being better than others, which creates a bit of a "better safe than sorry attitude" unless you know a particular model is good. That XFX, that idroid selected, is a good choice, at reasonable price, unless you're planning on adding a 2nd graphics card, for surround vision monitors, you certainly don't need more wattage.
September 15, 2012 12:22:27 AM

TheWiseDaz said:
"Perfect" is pure opinion - whilst I'm sure your list is excellent, my own compiled list - coming in at £7 over my £550 budget - is able to take into account the fact I already have a 1tb hard drive, and thus do not need to buy one, the fact that I'd prefer to use the Bitfenix case as it is known for it's ease of use, the fact I wish to avoid AMD due to poor experience with them and other preferences in terms of power.

If you feel that any of the components I've listed are wrong, then I would love to hear your alternatives, with reasons for doing so (i.e the case is too small, the card overpowered or the cooler of a poor make) but otherwise, I'll stick with mine, thank you.

You see.... those are the kind of things you should highlight so everyone takes them into considerations instead of reading the whole post

Ok.... let me do my magic:

*You have a 1TB drive.
*You like Bitfenix
*you don't like AMD

DONE

Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£31.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (£233.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Outlaw ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £559.49
September 15, 2012 12:40:59 AM

idroid said:
You see.... those are the kind of things you should highlight so everyone takes them into considerations instead of reading the whole post

*You have a 1TB drive.
*You like Bitfenix
*you don't like AMD

DONE

Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

I'm sorry that you found my original post difficult to navigate, and it's very kind of you to re-do your list in light of these. I'll certainly consider it!
EDIT: I can't find any reviews of the motherboard you suggested. Do you know where I might find one?
September 15, 2012 12:41:49 AM

TheWiseDaz said:
I'm sorry that you found my original post difficult to navigate, and it's very kind of you to re-do your list in light of these. I'll certainly consider it!

I am glad i was helpful :D 
September 20, 2012 5:59:13 PM

idroid said:

*You have a 1TB drive.
*You like Bitfenix
*you don't like AMD

DONE

Why so pompous? There are much milder ways of conveying your opinion.
!