Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3rd monitor wont enable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2012 6:39:12 PM

i have the radeon hd 7870 Ghz edition. my main monitor is running on the display port and my second monitor is running off the dvi port and i cant get my tv to connect when i use the HDMI port. windows wont let me enable the monitor. it says unable to save display settings.
July 26, 2012 11:56:31 PM

make sure that the resolution settings are not wildly inaccurate...also try restarting the system a few times...are u using a display port adapter for your first monitor? if so is it active? sometimes displayport adapters give weird issues (personal experience with that crap)
July 27, 2012 2:36:49 AM

i ment to say a mini display port. but it is a mini display port to HDMI cord for my main monitor. the resolution is the highest it can get
Related resources
July 27, 2012 2:49:20 AM

try setting the resolutions on all monitors much lower then the highest...does windows recognize that there is a third monitor plugged in? also does your main monitor with the DP adapter work fine? usually a mini DP to hdmi cable wont work you need an active adapter
July 27, 2012 3:14:53 AM

link the model HD 7870....
July 27, 2012 3:15:09 AM

drums101 said:
try setting the resolutions on all monitors much lower then the highest...does windows recognize that there is a third monitor plugged in? also does your main monitor with the DP adapter work fine? usually a mini DP to hdmi cable wont work you need an active adapter

sup copper.? :p 
Chi-Town's finest.
July 27, 2012 3:22:04 AM

verbalizer said:
sup copper.? :p 
Chi-Town's finest.

hahah you got that right
July 27, 2012 4:02:49 AM

did you try the resolution change like I said? I have had a similar issue and it was because the resolution was set too high for the monitor
July 27, 2012 4:05:45 AM

did you try the resolution change like I said? I have had a similar issue and it was because the resolution was set too high for the monitor
July 27, 2012 4:11:51 AM

yea i did and it didnt work. any other ideas?

Best solution

a b C Monitor
July 27, 2012 4:14:08 AM

Im betting the Displayport to hdmi adapter you are using is passive not active. With Eyefinity to get over 2 monitors the displayport adapters must be active adapters.
July 27, 2012 5:59:26 AM

hmm...my first thought was probably right...that cable isnt active its passive....I cant tell you for sure if thats the problem or not but all signs are pointing towards that....If I were you I would try an active adapter...you can find them for 20 bucks or so...that cable was intended for macbooks and isnt really designed with multi-monitor setups in mind so that could be the issue
July 27, 2012 10:36:50 AM

bignastyid said:
Im betting the Displayport to hdmi adapter you are using is passive not active. With Eyefinity to get over 2 monitors the displayport adapters must be active adapters.

not sure but the output configuration might be incorrect, I can see that.
July 27, 2012 1:47:05 PM

i was planning on getting an adapter untill i saw that cable lol. does it matter what kind of adapter? and whats the deal with active and passive?
July 27, 2012 6:40:34 PM

it does matter what type of adapter....its just gotta be active so just make sure you get one that is active
a b C Monitor
July 27, 2012 8:16:15 PM

I dont think they make an active displayport to hdmi adapter so you'll need an active displayport to dvi adapter then a dvi to hdmi adapter.
February 20, 2014 10:07:41 PM

bignastyid said:
I dont think they make an active displayport to hdmi adapter so you'll need an active displayport to dvi adapter then a dvi to hdmi adapter.

OK,I found this thread and the information was pretty useful,so I'm going to add my 2¢ to this thread to help anyone that was stuck with a similar problem or had the same problem I had.

I bought a 3rd monitor to hook up to my laptop,I already used the VGA connection and was trying to add this new one with HDMI to my HDMI port but it wouldn't work. When I read about people saying "lower the resolution" I tried,but to no avail. Then I heard "reboot a few times" but to no avail. I had also noticed that upon rebooting,the HDMI would work,but then would kick out just as the VGA kicked in,so I knew the monitor was getting a signal.
Then I heard that "you have to use the mini-display port for a 3rd monitor because the video card probably will not use the third monitor unless you do" So I bought a cable that was VGA to mini-display since that would be the only way to hook it up with the connections I had.
But that didn't work either,so I found out that I probably need a VGA to mini-display that was ACTIVE. so I was going to buy one of those,but after checking online found out that the one I had (from reviews) was NOT REALLY ACTIVE. That would have been a big problem.
So I found another one that was reviewed positively about being active and bought that. When I hooked it up and changed my screen settings to "extend desktop settings to this monitor" for the 2 extra monitors everything worked out fine! I am now enjoying major screen space.
I will have to find out just the settings to make sure when my laptop sleeps,so do my monitors.
I hope this helps anyone in the future that comes across this thread in later time.

Windows 7
Intel Core i7 CPU Q 720 1.6GHZ
8GB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850

!