Auto underclocked fx 8350? please help

so i had a fx 4100 on a GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 mobo, and i upgraded to an fx 8350 and the clock was auto set to 2.8ghz, so i went into the bios and the multiplier was set to 14 (duh), but i can only raise it to 18.5 any higher and it sets it to 7, i heard somewhere that you have to flash the bios, not really sure what that is and i never did it when i upgraded my cpu, so any suggestions on how to get it to the real base clock of 4ghz???
4 answers Last reply
More about auto underclocked 8350 help
  1. http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3967

it doesn't support 125W cpus.

AMD Phenom II X4 980 3700MHz C3 125W Bios verson: N/A

thats why its downclocking, the motherboard circuits can't handle it.
  2. You know he is right!.

Should of checked the board and its cpu wattage output, first.

And checked the wattage of the new Cpu. Well we all learn don`t we, trial and error.

RMA the cpu explain, and ask for a chip with a lower wattage if you can, as a swap.
    You may get lucky. Or not. Or buy a new board.
  3. weaselman said:
    You know he is right!, should of checkd the board and its cpu wattage output, first.
    And checked the wattage of the new Cpu. Well we all learn dont we.
    RMA the cpu explain and ask for a chip with a lower wattage if you can, As a swap.

well i am getting a new motherboard anyway, but thanks for the info, should i keep it at x14 then? and would this motherboard be ok? MSI 970A-G46
  4. the 970 will be a good board, msi are usually reliable for overclocking a good ammount.

but ya, leave it at 14 just so it doesn't burn the board out, wich in turn could fry the cpu after it shorts out.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS Gigabyte