RAID 0+1 Question?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I was just wondering what you thought would be the best configuration for a web server I'm making.

Config 1:
Onboard IDE RAID controller.
4x BarracudaIV 40GB in RAID 0+1

Option 2:
Buy Yahiko81's RAID controller (200$) (or get the Tyan Thunder board)
2x7200RPM 18.4GB SCSI drives (100$ each) (10k?)
stripe in RAID0

Or will it not matter at all, since I'm gonaa be running Apache on Linux w/ a gig of RAM? (Apache puts commonly accessed files into RAM), and I'll be leaving my server up for a Long time.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

FatBurger

Illustrious
What kind of server? How much traffic?

How much are you willing to spend, and would you prefer to spend less?

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Web and Temporary e-mail (I don't know how much traffic, thats a circumstance beyond my control, but I dont think too much). And i'd prefer to spend less, rather than more, but I don't want to sacrifice too much peroformance.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Then the first one will do you well. I'd recommend the Promise Fasttrack TX<font color=red>4</font color=red> for the controller
It has 4 IDE channels, so you can add more IDE drives later, if you want.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Which is more reliable, onboard or controller?

I'm thinking IDE now, but with a possible update in the future. (The long future, more on that to come in a while). Can you do me a favor and see if you can ping www.lfay.net or access it in any way? (It's a webserver, it doesn't have any viruses or nothing, but try pinging or tracerting it to see if it works...or if you trust me...Which you may not, just browse over there.) Thanks a lot.