Changing "Local Disk" to something else

The (only) hard drive in my Windows XP Pro computer (E:) shows up in My
Computer and in the folders view of Windows Explorer with the name "Local
Disk". I can't find that character string in the registry nor do I see
anywhere in the Computer Manager | Disk Management where this name is
assigned to that drive. Is there any way to change this character string to
another one of my choosing?

TIA
Norm
4 answers Last reply
More about changing local disk else

    That is the Type of disc, and cannot be changed. Its there to prevent confusion between removable media, network shares and etc.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> wrote in message news:4G3Ke.575200$cg1.188627@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > The (only) hard drive in my Windows XP Pro computer (E:) shows up in My
    > Computer and in the folders view of Windows Explorer with the name "Local
    > Disk". I can't find that character string in the registry nor do I see
    > anywhere in the Computer Manager | Disk Management where this name is
    > assigned to that drive. Is there any way to change this character string to
    > another one of my choosing?
    >
    > TIA
    > Norm

    Norm

    You can RENAME a drive.. double click MY COMPUTER, then right click on the
    HDD icon.. select RENAME..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> wrote in message
    > The (only) hard drive in my Windows XP Pro computer (E:) shows up in My
    > Computer and in the folders view of Windows Explorer with the name "Local
    > Disk". I can't find that character string in the registry nor do I see
    > anywhere in the Computer Manager | Disk Management where this name is
    > assigned to that drive. Is there any way to change this character string
    > to another one of my choosing?
    >
    > TIA
    > Norm

    Mike

    Fantastic! And so simple. Thanks much. Norm

    > Norm
    >
    > You can RENAME a drive.. double click MY COMPUTER, then right click on the
    > HDD icon.. select RENAME..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> wrote in message
    >> The (only) hard drive in my Windows XP Pro computer (E:) shows up in My
    >> Computer and in the folders view of Windows Explorer with the name "Local
    >> Disk". I can't find that character string in the registry nor do I see
    >> anywhere in the Computer Manager | Disk Management where this name is
    >> assigned to that drive. Is there any way to change this character string
    >> to another one of my choosing?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Norm

    You're welcome..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > Mike
    >
    > Fantastic! And so simple. Thanks much. Norm
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Norm
    >>
    >> You can RENAME a drive.. double click MY COMPUTER, then right click on
    >> the HDD icon.. select RENAME..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>

    >> "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> wrote in message
    >>> The (only) hard drive in my Windows XP Pro computer (E:) shows up in My
    >>> Computer and in the folders view of Windows Explorer with the name
    >>> "Local Disk". I can't find that character string in the registry nor
    >>> do I see anywhere in the Computer Manager | Disk Management where this
    >>> name is assigned to that drive. Is there any way to change this
    >>> character string to another one of my choosing?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Norm

Configuration Computers Windows XP