Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crossfire 6870 help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2012 8:54:33 PM

I recently bought another 6870 for my computer so I could crossfire them. My first card is a Sapphire 6870 Vapor-X, and I just bought a HIS 6870 Iceq-X. The problem is that when I start windows CCC will not let me enable crossfire, I have seen screen shots indicating where the option is at, and it is not there for me. I uninstalled my drivers (CCC) and then re installed them when I put both cards in. I can confirm that both cards work properly by themselves in the first PCI slot. I also have tried two different bridges and made sure they are plugged in properly. I did try one card by itself in the second PCI solt, to see if that slot works or not, but no output (Im not sure if I should be getting output there anyway). The fans are spinning on both cards, so I know they are getting power. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Specs
OCZ ModxStreme Pro 700W
AsRock P67 Extreme 4
i5-2500K
Sapphire 6870 Vapor-X
HIS 6870 Iceq-X
Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card

More about : crossfire 6870

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 9:06:04 PM

A single card should be able to work in both PCI-E slots, if the second slot is not working properly then you may have a problem with your slot.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 9:17:31 PM

I notice that your board has three PCI-E 2.0 16x slots, try putting one of your cards in the third slot and see if that works.

Either the second PCI-E 2.0 slot is not working, or something is set inside the BIOS, those are the two things that come into mind at the moment.
Related resources
July 26, 2012 9:25:57 PM

In my experience CCC can kind of finicky when first setting up cards in CrossfireX for the first time.

It sounds like you've done the install correctly. I recommend trying a couple of restarts without changing anything and just checking the CCC to see if the functionality appears. If and when it does, make the selection and then perform a couple more restarts and make sure it stays. Assuming it stays, you can do the verification process periodically with something like CPUZ or another similar type of utility. Once you've confirmed it's setup and running, you shouldn't have any additional troubles.

I don't know why it behaves this way, but it has for me in the past as well, after setting up a few crossfireX systems. Sometimes the functionality appears on the first reboot. Sometimes a prompt appears asking if I want to configure the cards in CrossfireX. Other time I have to go into CCC to enable it.

If that doesn't work, you could try a driver cleaner and then install the cards followed by a clean driver install.
July 26, 2012 10:00:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I have confirmed that the third PCIE slot is working by itself. Would that mean my second PCIE slot does not work? Also mocchan, you said it could be something in the BIOS, where would I find that at?
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 10:01:49 PM

if the third worked then the second must be broken ?
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 10:02:35 PM

When the computer starts up start tapping the DELETE key and that should take you into BIOS. Then take a look at your settings for PCIE.
July 26, 2012 10:03:47 PM

That's what I am afraid of. I don't want to have to RMA and all that crap, plus re installing everything.
July 26, 2012 10:03:57 PM

What should I look for, specifically?
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 10:24:48 PM

Personally I don't know the layout of your BIOS, so I would take a look in each little tab and check for anything that has to do with PCI-E lanes. If anything is disabled, be sure to enable it IF it has to do with PCI-E 2.0 x16. If you can't find something like this, then I'm pretty sure it's just a dead slot.

However, if you can get the third slot to work and Crossfire successfully, I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues in the future.
July 26, 2012 10:32:23 PM

Best answer selected by abearwithabanjo.
July 26, 2012 10:32:43 PM

I didnt find anything in the BIOS, I tried the second slot again and it still doesnt work. The problem is that I dont have a bridge that will reach from my first slot to the third. I will contact AsRock. Thanks everyone for the help.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 10:53:54 PM

abearwithabanjo said:
I didnt find anything in the BIOS, I tried the second slot again and it still doesnt work. The problem is that I dont have a bridge that will reach from my first slot to the third. I will contact AsRock. Thanks everyone for the help.

Ahhh I see :(  Well I wish you good luck!
!