Advice for future upgrade

Alright so i recently bought a new gpu and my first ssd, then i was checking the other hardware i would need for my next big upgrade.

I have looked quite a bit for what would be the best socket for Intel and it seems to be LGA1155. But then, i'm not sure which chipset i should look for, like what is the best right now? I surely want at least 2 features included which is usb 3.0 and sata 6gb/s (a.k.a. sata3). Also, i need minimum 6 usb plugs for the motherboard.

As for RAM, i will probably get Corsair since i have had good experiences with them, i'm just wondering if i should go for 1866mhz instead of 1600mhz for speed. I'm sure i will get at least 8gb.

Finally, for the CPU, i had either an i5 or i7 in mind. I'm assuming an i7 would be better, just have no idea what i should be getting.

My current specs are:
Motherboard - Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz
RAM - Corsair XMS2 2x2gb DDR2 800mhz
GPU - Sapphire Radeon 6850 1gb (Gigabyte Geforce 670 GTX OC 2gb soon!)

Thanks in advance!
18 answers Last reply
More about advice future upgrade
  1. bump, anyone?
  2. BlackAzrael said:
    bump, anyone?


    If its Core 2 quad, it isnt LGA 1155.

    Go for an 1155 socket motherboard with an i5 3570k, With a gtx 660ti.

    Get 4x2 kit of Corsair XMS2

    Asrock extreme4 motherboards are great.
  3. Edit:


    Sockets from best: 2011 > 1155 > 1156 > 1366 > 775

    CPU'es from best: Core i7 extreme 3xxx series > Core i7 extreme 2xxx series > Core i5 K series 3xxx > Core i7 series 9xx > core i5 K series 2xxx > Every other core series > Core 2 quad > core 2 duo > Pentium 630 series

    GPU's from best: GTX 690 > GTX 680 > GTX 590 > GTX 580 > GTX 670ti > GTX 570 > GTX 660ti > GTX 660 > GTX 650 > GTX 560 > GTX 460 > GTX 550ti > GTX 640 > rest of low end cards > GTX 2xx series > GeForce 9xxx and 8xxx series
  4. austing said:
    If its Core 2 quad, it isnt LGA 1155.

    Go for an 1155 socket motherboard with an i5 3570k, With a gtx 660ti.

    Get 4x2 kit of Corsair XMS2

    Asrock extreme4 motherboards are great.


    Okay, umm i know a Core 2 Quad is not LGA1155....that is currently what i have not what i want...

    I already said i bought a new gpu already so no need for advice on that.

    I was mainly askind advice or suggestions on CPUs, motherboards and RAM.
  5. BlackAzrael said:
    Okay, umm i know a Core 2 Quad is not LGA1155....that is currently what i have not what i want...

    I already said i bought a new gpu already so no need for advice on that.

    I was mainly askind advice or suggestions on CPUs, motherboards and RAM.


    I can easily answer those questions if you give me a budget for each item :p
  6. Hmm well let's see, i'd say about 500-600 should be enough for everything right? Honestly it's not really a concern, i kind of want to have the best possible, although not too ridiculously expensive you know. Like those Intel Extreme cpus, THAT is ridiculous.
  7. Well i think i will get the i5 3570k for a new cpu. It's a good deal for price/performance i think.

    Still not sure about which motherboard to pick, the Asrock Extreme6 has a lot of 1 star reviews and that doesn't sound too good to me. I was looking at the Asus Sabertooth and i must say the shield on top of it worries me a bit for fitting the other hardware and whatnot.
  8. BlackAzrael said:
    Well i think i will get the i5 3570k for a new cpu. It's a good deal for price/performance i think.

    Still not sure about which motherboard to pick, the Asrock Extreme6 has a lot of 1 star reviews and that doesn't sound too good to me. I was looking at the Asus Sabertooth and i must say the shield on top of it worries me a bit for fitting the other hardware and whatnot.


    As long as you do not have a HUGE mounting bracket for your CPU cooler, you will be fine with a sabertooth.

    I usualy buy ASUS RoG motherboards for high end builds because they are so nice and stable.
  9. RoG?

    And i'm still not sure which cpu cooler i will pick, haven't really looked into it yet.
  10. BlackAzrael said:
    RoG?

    And i'm still not sure which cpu cooler i will pick, haven't really looked into it yet.


    Republic of Gamers, the red/black ASUS boards.

    And the noctua heatsink is one of the best out there, best preformance, lowest sound.
  11. Okay, so i have looked at motherboards a bit and now i'm not sure which one i should get between those 3:

    - MSI Z77A-GD65
    - Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    - Gigabyte UD3H

    From what the customer reviews on newegg canada says, the MSI has the highest 4 to 5 stars ratings, gigabyte being the lowest.

    I had good experiences with Gigabyte but i must admit this is a bit alarming that 33% of the reviews there are 1 to 3 stars only. Or is it just Newegg maybe?

    Anyone can help me choose?
  12. BlackAzrael said:
    Okay, so i have looked at motherboards a bit and now i'm not sure which one i should get between those 3:

    - MSI Z77A-GD65
    - Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    - Gigabyte UD3H

    From what the customer reviews on newegg canada says, the MSI has the highest 4 to 5 stars ratings, gigabyte being the lowest.

    I had good experiences with Gigabyte but i must admit this is a bit alarming that 33% of the reviews there are 1 to 3 stars only. Or is it just Newegg maybe?

    Anyone can help me choose?



    MSI - Decent parts, amazing customer service

    ASUS - Great quality, got a DOA? Goodluck with thier customer service, they are HORRIBLE.

    Gigabyte - Alright quality, shady rebates, bad customer service, good software support

    Everything has its ups and downs, its your choice, I personaly prefer AsRock for anything thats not high-end
  13. Well i checked a few Asrock boards and they seem to have a lot of bad reviews, like 1 star reviews mostly.

    Well from what you say MSI seems the best balance but i'm still not sure.
  14. BlackAzrael said:
    Well i checked a few Asrock boards and they seem to have a lot of bad reviews, like 1 star reviews mostly.

    Well from what you say MSI seems the best balance but i'm still not sure.


    Go with what you trust.

    Take a look at the AsRock Extreme4, it's one of Tom's most recomended motherboard for mid-range 1155.
  15. Hmm yeah i guess you're right.

    Man i think that the most troublesome piece of computer hardware to choose, it's always so hard to make a decision on that.

    I guess i'll check again tomorrow, i just kinda wanted to have an opinion from some people that have tried 1 of those boards.
  16. Okay, so hopefully i get an answer this time.

    I was seriously thinking about getting the MSI Z77A-GD65: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=69234

    I'm just concerned about the cpu cooler, there's a 10$ off rebate on ncix for this one: http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=47090

    I just want to be sure it won't obstruct the RAM slots. I will be getting either one of these RAM sticks: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59431&vpn=CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1265 (that was my first choice)
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=55445&vpn=CMX8GX3M2A1600C9&manufacture=Corsair (that's my second choice, but it might be better to get those since they are low profile).

    So, what do you guys think about all this? If you have other less obstructing cpu coolers to suggest, please do!
  17. BlackAzrael said:
    Okay, so hopefully i get an answer this time.

    I was seriously thinking about getting the MSI Z77A-GD65: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=69234

    I'm just concerned about the cpu cooler, there's a 10$ off rebate on ncix for this one: http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=47090

    I just want to be sure it won't obstruct the RAM slots. I will be getting either one of these RAM sticks: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59431&vpn=CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1265 (that was my first choice)
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=55445&vpn=CMX8GX3M2A1600C9&manufacture=Corsair (that's my second choice, but it might be better to get those since they are low profile).

    So, what do you guys think about all this? If you have other less obstructing cpu coolers to suggest, please do!


    Noctua Heatsinks are the best in the buisness.

    That motherboard looks good, you should do that.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product