Sign in with
Your question

How much damage done to my i5 processor?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
January 28, 2013 5:44:01 PM

Hi

At the start of January, I put together my PC (I5 processor). The temperature in the bios said 35, and realtemp and core temp both agreed, no problem.

I checked temp again two weeks later to check everything was fine, it was.

I checked again two weeks later and it was idling at 85. In the bios it was 105. This was boggling my mind because the computer was running fine. Like no issues, there was no way to tell. It was booting in a good time, it was running games no problem, it was as if it was running normal temp.

So I just thought it was a sensor error.

Just to be safe I cracked open the case and found just one of the pins on the heat sink had come loose. I took the whole thing out and put it back in, temps went back down to 30.

Realistically, how much damage have I done to my processor? I have worried I have knocked two years of its life.

Everything is running fine now, usage is 1% when I am not doing anything and 10% when i am browsing internet, obviously gaming varies.

Thanks for any help

More about : damage processor

a c 190 à CPUs
January 28, 2013 6:06:35 PM

Really most likely, none. First of all of our processors have build in shut offs. Also the board should sound an alarm if you were running that hot.

The automatic shut which is called ThermTrip is set for 125°C and if this is a 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5 you can run it up to 105°C without and real problems.

Here is a trick to make sure that the HSF (heatsink/fan) is locked in place. Reach in and give each of the 4 twist clips a pull straight up if you can pull any of them up then they werent locked in place and you need to re-seat it.
January 28, 2013 7:08:51 PM

thanks very much:D 
!