Blown Motherboard Build - mix of new and old parts

burghboy

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
Looks as if my motherboard just went kaput so I am in need of a "newish" build. The problem is the timing of this situation is less than ideal. A totally new build sandwiched between my vacation getaway last month and my girlfriends birthday and Christmas lurking on the horizon means that I should show some restraint. How would you best suggest I go about recycling some of my old parts into a newish Frankensystem.

I don't really play games as heavily as I once did but would like to have a system that can play something like borderlands 2 well. Would also like to position myself to not have to upgrade for about 2 years. I've started doing a bit of photography so I will be using photoshop a bit but that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

What I currently have:

HAF 932
Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8 MB LGA1366
OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 6GB Platinum XTC
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache (times two)
XIGMATEK Dark Knight CPU cooler
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
XFX Radeon 4890 (two of these)
Sony Blu-Ray player
I also have a monitor and all peripherals

So what I want to know is what parts are salvageable and what should be scrapped. I don't really have a budget but I would like to get things up and running for a minimal cost. Is it worth it to just get a new motherboard or would it be better to get new cpu/board/ram?

I am kind of out of the loop as far as the new technology goes but from what I have gathered in brief time I spent researching is the core i5 3570k may be the sweet spot for someone with my user profile.

malbluff

Honorable
Which is the best way to go NOW, rather depends if your CPU was "involved" in mobo failure, and possibly damaged. If you can be confident it's OK, you may well be best to just replace it with the cheapest adequate board, for the shortish term.
My thinking would go something like this: Photoshop can benefit from i7, depending to what extent, and how much, you use it. Haswell is out next year. You've just started an interest in photgraphy. Do you know how deeply you may be into photography in 12 months time. Funds are short, at the moment.
If you can put off a full upgrade for 12 months, Haswell will be an option. If you really get into photo work i7 may be worthwhile. In a few months time funds may be easier, for a radical upgrade, so may be worth putting off major decision, which way to go.
Of course, that only works, if CPU ok. The last thing you want to do is plug old CPU into new board, and find it's dead.
If you want to do the full job, now, then i5-3570K, something like ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo, and 2x4GB 1600 MHz low profile RAM. I don't know if there's any issue with adjusting cooler mounting for LGA1155.