Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading advice. MoBo+Ram or CPU+MoBo+Ram?

Last response: in CPUs
January 28, 2013 6:00:25 PM

My current setup:
MoBo: asrock wolfdale 1333-d667
CPU: intel core 2 duo e8400 @3.0ghz
GPU: xfx radeon hd 6670 1GB ddr5
Ram: ddr2 3gb -> 2gb 800mhz + 1gb 667mhz (the board only supports up to 667, so I guess this is my bottleneck)
Windows 7 ultimate, kubuntu.

I want to add more ram because some games (such as SW ToR) make the system take about 96% of the ram. Instead of replacing the 1gb module, I thought it'd be better to change motherboard so I could add ddr3 ram.

In case I want to keep the processor, I'd have to switch to a MoBo like this one, which supports 1066 ram modules or 1333 at OC (I doubt I'd oc it).
In case of switching the processor (while looking for a MoBo that supported 1333 ddr3 ram), I looked for an upgrade on a cheap budget, and came up with this, where they suggested an AMD Phenom II X4 965.

I did my research and the amd seems to be considerably better according to this performance comparison but according to the CPU hierarchy chart, the amd it's only 2 steps above my current CPU, so in theory I wouldn't notice the improvement, or it wouldn't be something overwhelming.

Any advice about what to do? should I stick to my current cpu and get just the motherboard along with slower ram (1066)? or go for the amd cpu+mobo+ram? Considering I'm on a low budget, if I had the means I'd probably buy a core i7, phenom II x6 or something like that :sarcastic: 
a c 159 à CPUs
January 28, 2013 8:39:57 PM

As long as your system works, I would sell your old ddr2 and get a matching set of 2x2 gb of pc800 for around $40 if you're not ready to change boards. Here's another option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can also go with a single 4 gb stick now and get another one later. I also use newegg's shellshocker specials sometimes when they're under $200. I don't know if you can overclock with the foxconn board, but other brands are similar in price with the g41 chipset.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 29, 2013 12:01:50 AM

You could probably Craigslist or Ebay a 2GB stick for under $10. Even check the forums here. That mobo caps at 2x2gb.

I wouldn't buy a new MB that's already outdated. You're better off saving till you can get a full combo (MB/CPU/RAM). If you can swing $200 there's quite a few options.
Related resources
January 29, 2013 4:23:11 PM

Cazalan said:
You could probably Craigslist or Ebay a 2GB stick for under $10. Even check the forums here. That mobo caps at 2x2gb.

I wouldn't buy a new MB that's already outdated. You're better off saving till you can get a full combo (MB/CPU/RAM). If you can swing $200 there's quite a few options.

You guys made a point there, better making the whole switch later and just buy another 2gb ram.
Then for optimal performance I guess it should be exactly the same model as the one I have, right? even though the board supports up to ddr2 667, and the one I have is pc800?
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2013 4:37:11 PM

Running faster memory at slower speeds is generally fine if the voltage is still the same.
January 29, 2013 6:04:22 PM

Well, I'll buy another 2gb ram exactly the same then, thanks for the advice! It saved me money :) 
January 29, 2013 6:05:16 PM

Best answer selected by daas171.
!