Closed Solved

Upgrading advice. MoBo+Ram or CPU+MoBo+Ram?

My current setup:
MoBo: asrock wolfdale 1333-d667
CPU: intel core 2 duo e8400 @3.0ghz
GPU: xfx radeon hd 6670 1GB ddr5
Ram: ddr2 3gb -> 2gb 800mhz + 1gb 667mhz (the board only supports up to 667, so I guess this is my bottleneck)
Windows 7 ultimate, kubuntu.

I want to add more ram because some games (such as SW ToR) make the system take about 96% of the ram. Instead of replacing the 1gb module, I thought it'd be better to change motherboard so I could add ddr3 ram.

In case I want to keep the processor, I'd have to switch to a MoBo like this one, which supports 1066 ram modules or 1333 at OC (I doubt I'd oc it).
In case of switching the processor (while looking for a MoBo that supported 1333 ddr3 ram), I looked for an upgrade on a cheap budget, and came up with this, where they suggested an AMD Phenom II X4 965.

I did my research and the amd seems to be considerably better according to this performance comparison but according to the CPU hierarchy chart, the amd it's only 2 steps above my current CPU, so in theory I wouldn't notice the improvement, or it wouldn't be something overwhelming.

Any advice about what to do? should I stick to my current cpu and get just the motherboard along with slower ram (1066)? or go for the amd cpu+mobo+ram? Considering I'm on a low budget, if I had the means I'd probably buy a core i7, phenom II x6 or something like that :sarcastic:
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading advice mobo mobo
  1. As long as your system works, I would sell your old ddr2 and get a matching set of 2x2 gb of pc800 for around $40 if you're not ready to change boards. Here's another option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186187
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104231

You can also go with a single 4 gb stick now and get another one later. I also use newegg's shellshocker specials sometimes when they're under $200. I don't know if you can overclock with the foxconn board, but other brands are similar in price with the g41 chipset.
  2. Best answer
    You could probably Craigslist or Ebay a 2GB stick for under $10. Even check the forums here. That mobo caps at 2x2gb.

I wouldn't buy a new MB that's already outdated. You're better off saving till you can get a full combo (MB/CPU/RAM). If you can swing $200 there's quite a few options.
  3. Cazalan said:
    You could probably Craigslist or Ebay a 2GB stick for under $10. Even check the forums here. That mobo caps at 2x2gb.

I wouldn't buy a new MB that's already outdated. You're better off saving till you can get a full combo (MB/CPU/RAM). If you can swing $200 there's quite a few options.

You guys made a point there, better making the whole switch later and just buy another 2gb ram.
    Then for optimal performance I guess it should be exactly the same model as the one I have, right? even though the board supports up to ddr2 667, and the one I have is pc800?
  4. Running faster memory at slower speeds is generally fine if the voltage is still the same.
  5. Well, I'll buy another 2gb ram exactly the same then, thanks for the advice! It saved me money :)
  6. Best answer selected by daas171.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM Product