Sign in with
Your question

HD6870 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2012 10:47:37 PM

Hello,
I completed a rebuild of my system and I'm having problems with games. When I try to play Skyrim, a get a super slow frame rate or lockup. Same thing with other games. There is a software program called "Catalyst Control" that came with the card and when I try to access it, it either freezes or gives me a see-thru window frame. I have also started to get a message at boot up sometimes: "Access Violation at 0042D7DE in module TurboVHelp.exe at 000000". ASUS has not been very helpful. Is this a graphics card problem or motherboard?
Thanks,
Dave
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
i5-2400 - 3.10GHz
8GB GSkill RAM
ASUS HD6870
ACER 23" using DVI port

More about : hd6870 problem

July 26, 2012 11:17:43 PM

have you tried a different version of Catalyst Control Center (CCC) latest version is 12.6
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 12:41:24 AM

Emerald said:
have you tried a different version of Catalyst Control Center (CCC) latest version is 12.6

Yes, I downloaded the latest version.
Forgot to add operating sys: Win 7 64 Pro
m
l
July 27, 2012 2:35:50 AM

Yes, Net Framework is important.

Did you previously own a GeForce Card? Make sure you uninstall all of the Nvidia drivers and software.
m
l
July 27, 2012 3:32:08 PM

rwayne said:
Yes, Net Framework is important.

Did you previously own a GeForce Card? Make sure you uninstall all of the Nvidia drivers and software.

No. This is the first card with this moboard and CPU. Also I did a clean install of the operating system.
m
l
July 28, 2012 4:17:20 PM

Dogsnake said:
You need Netframwork 4 for CCC to work. This may be your problem (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id..., here is the link.

I downloaded Netframwork 4 as you suggested - I can open up the CCC program for Basic, but as soon as I go to 3D the frame rate becomes nonexistent.
m
l
July 28, 2012 4:51:46 PM

Wha resolution is your monitor, what resolution are you playing at, what do you mead by " but as soon as I go to 3D the frame rate becomes nonexistent", do you open CCC while playing, what settings are you using in CCC? Please try this; in the 3d settings select the default button at the bottom and do the same under Performance/AMD Overdrive. Please use the advanced view for CCC. In Skyrim what settings are you using? Does the framerate suffer everywhere in game or just at certain points?
m
l
July 30, 2012 10:59:54 PM

Dogsnake said:
Wha resolution is your monitor, what resolution are you playing at, what do you mead by " but as soon as I go to 3D the frame rate becomes nonexistent", do you open CCC while playing, what settings are you using in CCC? Please try this; in the 3d settings select the default button at the bottom and do the same under Performance/AMD Overdrive. Please use the advanced view for CCC. In Skyrim what settings are you using? Does the framerate suffer everywhere in game or just at certain points?

The resolution is 1920 X 1080. I changed the settings in CCC to the defaults for 3d but for ATI Overdrive (you wrote AMD, but I guess thats what you meant) the settings were all grayed out anyway so there was nothing to change. If I go to basic instead of advanced, as soon as I click on 3d the cursor freezes and the screen goes black for a few seconds and then flashes back on and this sequence repeats until I reboot.
When I try to load Skyrim, I chose the lowest quality options, and IF the startup screen comes up, the cursor won't move, after a while the screen goes black for a while, comes back on with the cursor having moved but frozen again, and this is what I'm referring to as a "non-existent frame rate".
However, ASUS has agreed to an RMA of the graphics care, so I'm sending it back tomorrow, although I'm still not sure if this is a moboard problem.
Thanks for the tips, and if you don't mind, I would like to contact you when I replace the board - either for further advice or an update?
Dave
m
l
!