Crossfire on a 430watt psu or just a single 6850?

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
what would i be better off with? which would give me the best performance and whats the best dual gpu combo for my psu?

my psu is a corsair cx430 v2..

You could most likely do a 7750 or 7770 Crossfire on your PSU, however, I wouldn't really recommend it.

They might perform better, but there's a lot of other factors to consider as well. They may not scale 100%, and they might give you a lot of micro stutter issues.

What resolution do you plan to game at? I think it may be best to stick with a single 6850 :)

Oh at that resolution, you could easily play games such as Battlefield 3 on High/Ultra settings with no sweat :)

If you would really like to get another GPU, I would recommend something like a HD6870, those will perform absolutely great at that resolution as well. However, one problem with getting a 6870 with your PSU, is that your PSU only has ONE PCI-E 6 pin connector whereas the 6870 requires two.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
yeah thats the only problem with the 6870... and the reason behind for me wanting two gpus is because the inside of my case looks pretty bland lol, ive got this huge window and theirs like nothing in it which kind of bothers me since the main point of a window is for people to see the nice stuff inside..

i can deal with one gpu though... its probably just really empty looking because ive got a mico-atx motherboard, stock cpu cooler, one 6670, and only 2 extra fans.. haha

if i do end up going down the crossfire road though i would have to upgrade my motherboard... but im looking into getting a new cpu down the road anyways.. (the motherboard i have right now is from HP and it has a max tdp of 95watts)

Ahhh I see, in that case, yes you'll most likely want to upgrade your motherboard later down the road.

Though, :lol: I totally understand what you mean with your side window. Might be better just to upgrade everything at once later down the road :) Personally I really like the look of a single card in a system, looks very sleek and sexy.